Why people need license to pilot FPV drone

Pawelk198604

I read that in case of Poland anyone who want fly FPV model over over 25 kg, need obtain licence from ULC Urząd Lotnictwa Cywilnego, it our Polish equivalent of American FAA, and need to pass medical test for FPV drone.

Anyone can pilot small RC plane but the big one need this special license. I think it's RIDICULOUS, why anyone need medical to pilot  RC model :D I understand plane or glider but unnamed model???  

Edited by Pawelk198604

What a question. 25kg can make considerable damage. So pilots of that should have a sharp eye (better 2).

And anything above a certain mass and being able to fly higher than 500ft (150m) above ground shares the same airspace than manned flight (G) in the open field. Your model (or drone as it's called today) is safe as long as you stay below that cause planes (in this case small aircraft, gliders, hang gliders etc.) fly higher of they didn't just take of or are about to land.

I've seen paragliders land with a model-glider between the lines .... so a little knowledge of what's going on in the air and an approved keen eye doesn't hurt, literally.

:-)

k

Edited by kemde

In the U.S. it's 50kg, but I think you need to register anything over .5kg. It makes sense though, a 25kg thing falling out of the sky is not good so it makes sense that there are limits. What are you trying to do with a plane/quad/hex/octo that big anyway, lifting a cinema camera?

I have been in the RC flying hobby for a few years now and in that time there have been several deaths and even more injuries caused by rc models, some models with fall less mass than 25 kg. 25 kg is a LOT of mass when that mass hits someone with speeds easily above 100 km/h.

One quick trip over to Youtube will show there are plenty of guys who put themselves and/or others at risk by flying irresponsibly, out of sheer ignorance, inexperience, or they are just plain mad.

A licence is one way to make sure the to-be rc pilot has a better idea of what it is he or she is doing. It won't get rid of all problems but if only some of these instructed pilots will fly with greater care, then that's a win, I say.

In the UK you need a licence for models with mass greater or equal to 20 kg (IIRC) and also, the BMFA sanctioned fields require you to pass an A and B test on any weight class before allowing you to fly on their fields, and in competitions. Add that flying models comparable to a 600 size helicopter (less than 5 kg) in public parks is a criminal offence. All good things I say and I wouldn't mind if we saw more of that around.

As for a medical, that's new to me but it makes sense. Like has been mentioned, having a seizure, or something that takes away your ability to operate a flying model, can be extremely dangerous.

I am for freedom to enjoy the hobby but at no point should "but... but... I enjoy it" become a green card to do everything one wants, regardless of safety for others.

Edited by LN400

15 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Could be a quarter scale or larger model

Quarter scale is large even for small fighter planes. 
Rules has been tightened because of all the UAV uses and also the UAV usage pattern. RC planes are rarely used in populated areas, drones are 

10 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Quarter scale is large even for small fighter planes. 
Rules has been tightened because of all the UAV uses and also the UAV usage pattern. RC planes are rarely used in populated areas, drones are 

You would be amazed at how many Quarter Scale and larger planes exist and are flying.  I do fly RC, and see them all the time.

Most of my planes are between 5 and 10 pounds in weight, but a very significant number of planes flying are much larger than mine.

1 hour ago, Pawelk198604 said:

I wonder does having seizure in childhood, but completely cured is disqualifying for piloting rc model or dron?  

That is something for your physician to decide. I (and most likely everybody else here) have no idea how strict the laws are in Poland. Ask your doctor, ask the police, ask those giving out licenses. They are the ones that know.

Edited by Tex_NL

19 minutes ago, Tex_NL said:

That is something for your physician to decide. I (and most likely everybody else here) have no idea how strict the laws are in Poland. Ask your doctor, ask the police, ask those giving out licenses. They are the ones that know.

From what i read in my country non commercial drone below 25 kg does not require license and medical testing, but dron must be operated within visual contact,   

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You would be amazed at how many Quarter Scale and larger planes exist and are flying.  I do fly RC, and see them all the time.

Most of my planes are between 5 and 10 pounds in weight, but a very significant number of planes flying are much larger than mine.

An 4 seat cesna is 11x8 meters, An F16 is 10x15 meters, this would give 2.75x2 and 2.5x3.17 meter model, Yes its plausible but twice the size I seen live
Has seen some giant stuff like 747 and C5 models who is probably 5 meter or more wingspan on youtube, the 747 crashed and that looked like an real aircraft crash so you want to be careful with this sort of stuff. 

The cessna, you mentioned.  11 meters in 1/4 scale will be a little over 8 feet.  Not much bigger than the models I fly at 6 feet.  Mine are 8-10 lbs, the weight increases by the cube of the increase (rule of thumb), so if I scale up mine, I would end up with about a 15lb model.

Are you a flyer, or just a spectator?  I ask, because I am a flyer, and I see this on a regular basis.  What are you basing your statements on?

34 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The cessna, you mentioned.  11 meters in 1/4 scale will be a little over 8 feet.  Not much bigger than the models I fly at 6 feet.  Mine are 8-10 lbs, the weight increases by the cube of the increase (rule of thumb), so if I scale up mine, I would end up with about a 15lb model.

Are you a flyer, or just a spectator?  I ask, because I am a flyer, and I see this on a regular basis.  What are you basing your statements on?

Just an  spectator this makes sizes look smaller, I know.

10 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

[VidSnip]

Here is the video youtube recomended after watching the 747 one. Not fun to get one of the large planes in your head. 
Again, you tend to fly RC planes away from people and drones in more populated places. 

This video is exactly why licensing and restrictions are a good thing. Some of these crashes are pretty benign, others are rather violent but all are in a controlled area. You definitely do not want any old nut-job to fly and crash planes like that in your backyard or school playground. Can you imagine the carnage when one of those bigger planes hits a car, or god forbid a motorcycle at motorway speeds?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.