CAT S60 smartphone

Fr8monkey

4 hours ago, AquaAlmond Productions said:

When I think of CAT I generally think of bulldozers and other construction and development equipment, not smart phones. Looks like a cool phone but I have no idea why you would need a thermal camera.

Your right, but, I do think this is something like that. Even in that advertisement pic, the FLIR is looking at what looks like an electrical transformer, which, would be the sort of application for that sort of thing - on the job, you can drop it in the mud, it will be fine, then you can look thru heating systems for leaks, or electrical systems for hot wires, etc. 

I could really see that being the 'ipad for the construction supervisor'. Not something that all the workers would have, but something I would definitely see senior staff getting, especially seems how cheap it is.

I want one too :P

Edited by Ketatrypt

oooh it has flir.

i think this is mostly a phone for those in the construction industry. where you need something that can handle being droped from a roof or lost in a vat of cement or something. flir would come in handy for that, anyone installing hvac or insulation would want to keep tabs on the cold spots.

Edited by Nuke

On February 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM, Ketatrypt said:

Your right, but, I do think this is something like that. Even in that advertisement pic, the FLIR is looking at what looks like an electrical transformer, which, would be the sort of application for that sort of thing - on the job, you can drop it in the mud, it will be fine, then you can look thru heating systems for leaks, or electrical systems for hot wires, etc. 

I could really see that being the 'ipad for the construction supervisor'. Not something that all the workers would have, but something I would definitely see senior staff getting, especially seems how cheap it is.

I want one too :P

3 minutes ago, Nuke said:

oooh it has flir.

i think this is mostly a phone for those in the construction industry. where you need something that can handle being droped from a roof or lost in a vat of cement or something. flir would come in handy for that, anyone installing hvac or insulation would want to keep tabs on the cold spots.

Actually this is the reason that the FLIR was developed for the consumer market. A lot of contractors / Technicians / Inspectors use FLIR to detect thermal variations and temperature in parts, systems, HVAC, insulations, etc. and having a phone that you can take pictures, use the FLIR, take phone calls, etc. in one unit is a HUGE advantage in money and convenience for contractors.

I may be getting one later this year....depending on how things work out.

The cool thing when you have thermal camera right next to the visible light one, you can take both images simultaneously and have them superimposed one on another. That way you get the best of both worlds - information from the thermal image and the clarity and context of the visible light (thermal images can often get confusing).

15 minutes ago, Val said:

And I don't know why, either...

Familiar feeling. I want a thermal camera since I saw this video. Probably I could find some cool uses for it.

And lately I started to have a faint impression that ditching my decades old monochrome Nokia for a smartphone could signify my arrival to the XXIth century. But it soo cool I don't have to charge it every week.. ^_^

Edited by Evanitis

Well, it's definitely a tool. It's WAY overbuilt and over-spec'd for the average consumer, plus it's die cast steel (yeah, steel!) chassis means that it's gonna be a heavy unit.

But 13 meg camera, FLIR, FM radio, a gazillion other radio communication options, SD card storage, decent screen resolution and waterproof to 16 feet (according to several articles) makes it a bit of a niche product. But it's definitely a product that has a plethora of uses in the right hands.

Android is not my fave OS, but all-in-all, that's a minor thing.

Edited by GDJ

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 7:41 PM, Shpaget said:

(thermal images can often get confusing).

I tried out a helmet mounted one some years ago, kept tripping over things that were the same temperature as the ground, :D nowhere near as good as an Image Intensifier in that role.

I also find myself wanting one of these, mainly for the thermal camera, but have no practical use for one :D  at £425 it's not significantly more expensive than many other smartphones though http://www.cnet.com/products/cat-s60/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.