[1.12.x] [BG] HabTech2 | Stockalike ISS Parts | 1.0.0 - The Final Update

benjee10

20 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@benjee10 Your screenshots have a unique look to them. Many members try to go for photorealism while you might have opted for more of a cartoon drawing effect. Are you using a TUFX profile with a lot of HDR? Care to share your secrets?

This is just my barebones dev install, so not much going on visual mods wise really! No TUFX, just scatterer & planetshine with the intensity turned up.

15 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Also, @benjee10 first off, welcome back! Secondly, any ETS (Eyes Turned Skyward) Freedom plans in the future? Honestly, at this point, we'd just need the square/rectangle truss parts. And the skinny super long solar array.  Edit: Actualy, might need 1.875 end caps added. I think the ETS Freedom uses 1.875 tunnel on the front of the Challenger module.

Also also, any planes to incorporate regular ROSA? 

Right now I'm just focusing on filling out the part set by repurposing existing assets as much as possible, so probably not going to make specific ETS parts. The trusses in particular would be quite a lot of complex work for some fairly niche parts. 

By regular ROSA do you mean the one flown on shuttle? 

11 hours ago, Darknote said:

Dear Benjee,

Is it possible to get (Although it's not historical as far as I'm aware), Hexagonal Truss adapters to 1.8m/2.5m and larger spherical tanks? As I love these Trusses, they fit so nicely with making actual interplanetary vehicles!

If not, then I thank you for the effort you put into making this mod for us, I love using these parts on almost every ship/station!

Best wishes!

Probably not going to add fuel tanks to this mod in any major way but I'd like to add some more versatility to the hexagonal trusses. I'll have to see what's possible with the assets I have. 

Some new RCS blocks (pulled out of the Space Station Freedom propulsion module assets):

SVmCtbh.jpeg

U1uOthO.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Right now I'm just focusing on filling out the part set by repurposing existing assets as much as possible, so probably not going to make specific ETS parts. The trusses in particular would be quite a lot of complex work for some fairly niche parts. 

By regular ROSA do you mean the one flown on shuttle? 

The square truss would be good for mini stations and the like, or to compliment the ISS truss, imo.

Edit, and we'd only need one truss. All of them are basically the same. The only difference is the stuff bolted on to them.

And the ROSA meant for the Lunar Gateway station. Iirc, they're like 3 times the size of iROSA.

Edited by GoldForest

Just now, GoldForest said:

The square truss would be good for mini stations and the like, or to compliment the ISS truss, imo.

And the ROSA meant for the Lunar Gateway station. Iirc, they're like 3 times the size of iROSA.

Ah, Gateway's panels will be part of Artemis Construction Kit, I've already got them mostly modelled: 

y8bdl47.jpeg

Size wise they are not much different from iROSA, just a bit wider. 

The truss sections on P6/S6 are not really able to be separated out into parts that would be useful on their own for a number of reasons. It's partly down to the mesh/textures just not being designed for it, and partly down to the original files being lost so not being able to make the kind of texture modifications that would allow it, but the long and short of it is this isn't something I'll be doing in the near future. 

So I saw Gotmachine has a new mod in the making, Easy Robotics (Link in first post of this thread!), so I thought I'd give it a try.  Now this does not get rid of the wobbles (I have a feeling that's source code material), but I've actually managed to use it successfully several times.  Here's some pics:  Do note, Easy Robotics likes to cheat!  Or the shuttle is just a phantom of it's former self:

lRZ57Nk.png

DBQA2ut.png

Before undocking the KerboArm end effector, the docking modules will be off, but when the end effector is undocked, the two nodes slide into place like a glove!  As you can see, perfect docking with a robotic arm!  I do believe I need to get building on another ISS....

1 minute ago, MashAndBangers said:

So I saw Gotmachine has a new mod in the making, Easy Robotics (Link in first post of this thread!), so I thought I'd give it a try.  Now this does not get rid of the wobbles (I have a feeling that's source code material), but I've actually managed to use it successfully several times.  Here's some pics:  Do note, Easy Robotics likes to cheat!  Or the shuttle is just a phantom of it's former self:

Before undocking the KerboArm end effector, the docking modules will be off, but when the end effector is undocked, the two nodes slide into place like a glove!  As you can see, perfect docking with a robotic arm!  I do believe I need to get building on another ISS....

It's a total game changer for robotic arms. Part clipping is pretty much unavoidable but it doesn't bother me personally. 

Just a note to anyone else trying this out, in my experience it is best to keep traverse rate set to minimum (1) for all servos, increase damping to 200, and bring the torque limit down to about 10%. I'm currently testing out different settings and will likely make some changes to the stats of the robotics parts themselves to try to reduce wobble as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, Delta 86 said:

@MashAndBangers How did you get the mod to accept the docking port as an effector? When I attempt to change it from the LEE to the port, the arm becomes invalid.

Strange, I just click the button to setup the end effector again, hover over the port, and hit enter.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

RQ0WcW1.png

@benjee10Pretty please could you shift the side node endcap things back just a teeny tiny bit, so they can be used with the gold foil from the BDB CADS ports? They look so so awesome...... ;.;

4 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

@benjee10Pretty please could you shift the side node endcap things back just a teeny tiny bit, so they can be used with the gold foil from the BDB CADS ports? They look so so awesome...... ;.;

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, Entr8899 said:

Funny you should mention that...

fIZJSzm.pngukksBtR.png

JICRVRN.pngcf3WDsg.png

These new hatches are more low profile/inset so shouldn't clip other things so much. I'll also be redesigning the endocarps around them (and the airlock will get a nice animated thermal cover, WIP untextured for now)

This will be a long term project as all the Unity files for the original HabTech parts were lost in the hard drive failure, so it's going to be a slow process of rebuilding each one and swapping in the new hatches. 

fIZJSzm.pngukksBtR.png

JICRVRN.pngcf3WDsg.png

These new hatches are more low profile/inset so shouldn't clip other things so much. I'll also be redesigning the endocarps around them (and the airlock will get a nice animated thermal cover, WIP untextured for now)

This will be a long term project as all the Unity files for the original HabTech parts were lost in the hard drive failure, so it's going to be a slow process of rebuilding each one and swapping in the new hatches. 

With the unity rebuild if you don't mind me asking would it be possible to build in more of the handrails and/or the shuttle mounting pins for the modules to help reduce partcount?

1 hour ago, ArgentBlue said:

With the unity rebuild if you don't mind me asking would it be possible to build in more of the handrails and/or the shuttle mounting pins for the modules to help reduce partcount?

That should be possible yes.

How about tracking dots for other modules? Maybe a JAXA/Kibo-style paneling for other modules? And maybe switchable paneling options for the ISS modules?

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2024 at 1:33 PM, benjee10 said:

Is it possible to get 1.875 end caps for all parts? 

Edit: Also closed off end caps, like for PMM Leonardo.

Edited by GoldForest

7 hours ago, benjee10 said:

fIZJSzm.pngukksBtR.png

JICRVRN.pngcf3WDsg.png

You sir are a blessing!

15 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Sorry to ask so much of you but is there any consideration to adding something like a 1.25m end cap part to close off unused nodes as well?

Thank you for all your work, it is absolutely beautiful.

w1v0y0e.png

So, had to do a few changes.
For one, the size was increased to be more accurate. Challenger is closer to 5m KSP after some investigation, and Node 1 is 3.75m KSP. 
Secondly, the S0 truss was too small, so had to upgrade it to the regular S0. Still not right, but we don't have ETS Truss units in Habtech or any mod for that matter, so have to make do. 
Thirdly, I originally built the station upside down. This is the right orientation. Yes, the Solar Truss is "Hung" from the station and not "Resting" on top.

On 6/4/2024 at 8:46 PM, Entr8899 said:

How about tracking dots for other modules? Maybe a JAXA/Kibo-style paneling for other modules? And maybe switchable paneling options for the ISS modules?

Tracking dots maybe, unfortunately the switchable panel styles for the ISS modules themselves is not possible without a ton of work. 

On 6/4/2024 at 9:35 PM, GoldForest said:

Is it possible to get 1.875 end caps for all parts? 

Edit: Also closed off end caps, like for PMM Leonardo.

Sorry, no plans for 1.875m parts in this mod. 

On 6/5/2024 at 10:59 AM, ArgentBlue said:

Sorry to ask so much of you but is there any consideration to adding something like a 1.25m end cap part to close off unused nodes as well?

It's been requested a few times, I'll see what I can do.

Out of action for a little bit as I'm moving house but here are some updates on the new hatches/airlocks:

tDjpSfu.png

EJyls3k.png

(I know the shuttle-style hatch is wrong for PMA, but in practice this will be covered up by the APAS port that has its own correct hatch, so I figured it'd be easier to keep them all consistent)

CH4vWBs.png

And here is a video of the thermal cover animation:

EkZB8ck.mp4

Not sure yet whether this will be purely an aesthetic thing or if it will actually toggle the EVA accessibility on & off. Will do some testing in game. 

16 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Tracking dots maybe, unfortunately the switchable panel styles for the ISS modules themselves is not possible without a ton of work. 

Sorry, no plans for 1.875m parts in this mod. 

It's been requested a few times, I'll see what I can do.

Out of action for a little bit as I'm moving house but here are some updates on the new hatches/airlocks:

tDjpSfu.png

EJyls3k.png

(I know the shuttle-style hatch is wrong for PMA, but in practice this will be covered up by the APAS port that has its own correct hatch, so I figured it'd be easier to keep them all consistent)

CH4vWBs.png

And here is a video of the thermal cover animation:

EkZB8ck.mp4

Not sure yet whether this will be purely an aesthetic thing or if it will actually toggle the EVA accessibility on & off. Will do some testing in game. 

Not asking for 1.874 parts, just end caps. Your other mod covers the 1.875 parts.