Are your savegames KSP or KSM (Kerbal Space Mission)?

Octa

Do you create new savegames for seperate major project/missions?

Or do you prefer to do everything in one single savegame so your missions share the same infrastructure and "timeline/story"? Do you run a complete space program in one save or do you run a few space missions per save and have your space program split to several savegames or even KSP instances?

A few weeks ago i had to take a break from KSP because....mods.:blush: I like stuff like Planetary Base System, ScanSat or Station/Orbital Science because it gives KSP much more content regarding exploration, science and mission management. Maybe i'll try life support so bases need means to re-supply or to have ships for long missions actually differ more from the ones for short flights apart from the amount of deltaV...

I also like some logical progress while i play...no kerballed flights to Mun, Minmus or Duna until i had some scouting missions in forms of satellites or probe landers. My Kerbals don't like beeing sent into completely unknown realms, you know. Communication is also an issue. Once in a while, my ships should be able to communicate back to KSC, so i set up communication networks with the required or affordable coverage. Never actually tried RemoteTech, because most of that is just roleplaying for myself and i don't want mission failures because of actual communication loss or signal delay. ;)

2 aspects of my playstyle....not really dangerous for themselves, but now combine these 2.
Result: My itch to have communication networks, GPS-Networks, multiple satellite probes and interplanetary missions/bases at once with a rather grown library of mods finally exceeded the magical 32Bit memory border of KSP. Plus: A Mess. More specific in map view and in the tracking station.:confused:

I took a break from KSP until a few days ago, knowing that 64Bit-Support will fix most of the issues i have. Now i just mess around in KSP with reduced texture quality, with that i can at least launch and revert a few flights, although it looks not that good than it used to. BDArmory and Mk4-parts are fun to play around with btw.

How do you get around this, if you even have these problems?

1 hour ago, Octa said:

Do you create new savegames for seperate major project/missions?

Or do you prefer to do everything in one single savegame so your missions share the same infrastructure and "timeline/story"? Do you run a complete space program in one save or do you run a few space missions per save and have your space program split to several savegames or even KSP instances?

I mainly use one (career) savegame.

But sometimes I get some brilliant (at least in my mind, and right then) idea of a new project or storyline and start a new save for just that.

Currently I have one main and two "special projects" career saves, plus a simulation (and FUI) sandbox save.

Edited by Curveball Anders
gramar

It depends on how "stock" my idea is. If it's very stock, it's generally one mission per save. If it's fully modded up, it's a long campaign of missions in a program.

Partly because if I'm going to go to all the work of collecting together a concoction of mods, I'm going to want to play with them for a while. Partly because if the game is too stock, anything beyond going to Mun or Minmus is unnecessarily arduous.

One main save which has been with me since 0.90. One parallel save (with all cheats allowed) for "re-shoots" of events I couldn't get pictures of in the main save for example the reactions of crew inside a vehicle. FInally a third "Bill Space Program" save for testing craft before putting them in the main save.

It's been a long time since I started a new career, so I'll probably do one "on the side" (that is, no Forum reports) in 1.1. 

Is there any any news if 1.1 will change the craft/ship-management? Sometimes i'd just like to toogle the icon and orbits of inactive crafts so a satellite network does not always show up in map view. Or to put the ships into folders in the tracking station. The more ships are on the fly, the more confusing it gets.

Some craft/s I make become complex to build/design so I have a million different versions of the same craft for testing. That alone means I have to have an entire save dedicated to a certain project.. So yeah, my saves are KSM.

Edited by Majorjim

I'm more of a KSP rather than KSM type of guy.

I have a an R&D (revert allowed) save that I use for mucking about, testing concepts and designing stuff.  Another 'Anomaly Exploration' (no revert) save that I use for exactly that, which was originally my first 'Program' save, I now keep it mainly for nostalgia and reference.  Originally I had planned on individual saves for each celestial body, but that plan lost it's appeal as any useful infrastructure etc needed to be repeated.

I started a new 'program' save with 1.0 to explore the system, but didn't progress too far so will start over all afresh again in 1.1.

If I want to play with a challenge or silly project then I will start a dedicated save for that though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.