LEGO Vehicle Assembly Building on LEGO Ideas

Tex Mechs Robot

tO8d63n.png

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/135315

LEGO Ideas is a platform where users can vote for LEGO sets they would like to see, which are then considered for production after 10,000 supporters.  Some of you may remember a Kerbal X project on the same site, which unfortunately expired before we could get enough support.  However, that was almost a year ago, and KSP has grown.  I think it's time to try again.  So please follow the link above and lend your support!  And if you really want to see it happen, please consider telling your fellow KSP fanatics about it as well.  Every support counts!

Now that I can get behind!

There are already space-themed LEGO sets, both fictional and nonfictional, but I think having more rocketry pieces would be very fun. I remember I made a multistage rocket once out of just a bunch of random pieces that was hilariously and unrealistically cubic rather than cylindrical. Ah, those were the days.

I'm a Lego builder myself, I have to say...It looks good but most bricks are in the building and those bricks are worthless for building rockets.

Nice as a display, but I'd like to see KSP modules done with lego that we can combine to make our own creations.

Besides, this is gonna be expensive while most kids just want the (cheaper) rocket.

(Edit, had to show off a moc ^_^)

IXBpPOo.jpg

dNCtx5G.jpg

Edited by Triop

It's perfect. Why is this not a thing? Building off what triop said, customizeable parts to resemble in game parts to build real life rocket replicas with lego is genius.

6 hours ago, bncrock said:

It's perfect. Why is this not a thing? Building off what triop said, customizeable parts to resemble in game parts to build real life rocket replicas with lego is genius.

I think I'm going to add some extra modular parts.  Not perfect, but at least it allows for some customization.

5 hours ago, Renegrade said:

Am I the only one noticing the big smelly 'intellectual property infringement' elephant in the room?  Did Squad officially bless this concept?

There isn't any such elephant in the room.  Squad doesn't have to approve anything until the project reaches the supporter threshold, right now it's just an idea.  

6 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

That looks awesome! How would second stages be handled, though? You can't just slap a decoupler on for Lego.

Luckily you can do something similar.  It uses the same technique that LEGO uses to put removable roofs on their buildings, the connection between stages is weaker than the rest of the rocket, so it comes apart pretty easily where the decouplers are.

Just now, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Luckily you can do something similar.  It uses the same technique that LEGO uses to put removable roofs on their buildings, the connection between stages is weaker than the rest of the rocket, so it comes apart pretty easily where the decouplers are.

That makes sense. Also, could you show a picture of how the engines are made? I'd like to try making my own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.