The Grand KSP 1.1 Discussion Thread

KasperVld

21 minutes ago, tater said:

If they knew unity was literally game-killing, why not first wait for the update, and just use the extra time to wipe out all the other bugs?

Because then KSP would still be on Unity 4 (4.2.4 I think to be exact) and Squad would still have to deal with issues in Unity 4 that had been resolved in Unity 5.  Like no reliable 64-bit executables for Windows.  And other Unity 4 issues, resolved in Unity 5, that would keep consuming Squad's efforts and resources and good will with their customers.  Us.

As @Curveball Anders put it in his comment on the latest Devnote Tuesday.

Squad knew they'd have to sink a lot of effort into the transition from Unity 4 to Unity 5.  They put it off for KSP 1.0.  They couldn't put it off much longer.  As Unity 5 kept releasing versions, it's likely the work to do that transition would only just grow in scale and complexity.

It's not the transition from Unity 4 to Unity 5 that most of us don't like about KSP 1.1.  It's that major critical bugs were still present in KSP 1.1, some from its Unity 5 version, that KSP didn't fix or workaround.  Besides fixing those bugs that can be fixed and improving the workarounds (which KSP 1.1.1 should do), Squad should be looking at its process for KSP 1.1 to see what they can do better.  It's the first time they've had an extensive prerelease test with community members.  They'll likely aim to improve that and other steps to prevent the shear number of critical bugs in a release that happened with KSP 1.1.  (Many of those bugs are not consistent and constant in their behaviour, the hardest bugs to deal with.)

Well I've not messed with wheels yet, but I have noticed a few quirky little things. Running 64 for the first time. No crashes yet, but, as I just said, quirky stuff. 2-cents...

• In the VAB, putting my cursor on things enclosed in fairings, like the root part because I'm going to move it, stuff disappears. This behavior is intermittent so far (very odd).
  • The same with a capsule floating the water after touchdown. Putting the cursor on a part that is underwater, it disappears (the part, not the cursor).
  • Also, as previously mentioned by others, maneuver node issues while in orbit.
  • Trying to get back onto ladders while out on EVA is kinda scary again. Don't know if that's a real issue or not though. For sure, the FreeEVA mod isn't working as it should.
  • The MakeItSmall mod is a help, but it too has quirks if you adjust the 'All' option.

:mellow:

My 2 kopeikas. 

Suffering from far too many crashes in 1.1. Going to VAB has a 50% chance to crash the game. Returning from a mission almost always crashes the game.

Had no similar troubles with 1.0.5.

However, everything runs faster and smoother... while it runs. Mixed blessings :) So I'm looking forward to a hotfix. 

i finally did it.

Managed to build a Buggy that can be ABUSED and drives like a real (Rally) car, almost :wink:

It's just a base and proof of concept but i drive around the Launchpad with it and i can jump OFF the launchpad and drive over everything with every speed, wont explode or tip over.

Needs a pilot with SAS skills and a pod with torque but it seems to be doable.

Somehow i can't attach the craft file in the forum here, might upload it elsewhere if someone is interested

3 hours ago, NikkyD said:

i finally did it.

Managed to build a Buggy that can be ABUSED and drives like a real (Rally) car, almost :wink:

It's just a base and proof of concept but i drive around the Launchpad with it and i can jump OFF the launchpad and drive over everything with every speed, wont explode or tip over.

Needs a pilot with SAS skills and a pod with torque but it seems to be doable.

Somehow i can't attach the craft file in the forum here, might upload it elsewhere if someone is interested

We'd love to see your buggy!

This forum doesn't allow file uploads, but kerbalx.com is a popular option for craft builders.  

@Jacke This update is not the first time Squad has tried a public pre-release test. But it is likely the biggest & largest number participating. The community-sourced "experimental test team" was born, when they stopped putting out "experimental releases." 

4 hours ago, tater said:

I'm fine with the transition, but it should be pre-release until it is not critically flawed.

"Critical" is a matter of who is doing the interpretation. I would prefer if KSP did not ship with the wheel problems noted by so many, but the powers that be made a hard decision that at least one of these had a workaround ("wheels blocked" is better than craft destruction, redesigning craft with greater clearance around wheels is another) and several others could be mopped up with tweaks and patches.

Another factor in the decision to ship with known bugs is scope: how many users are likely to encounter it?  Crashes that can't be reproduced consistently. Linux market share, and its many distributions. If half the players are having trouble making orbit, they may still call KSP a fun game, based on what they saw of it.  I don't think we'll ever see a bug-free update on launch day... my expectations are set accordingly :wink:  

1.0.5 seemed really polished. 1.1, not so much. Squad needs to fix the UI scale, right now it is completely out of whack, with different elements not scaling well with others, like the top right VAB icons being scaled down a bit causing them to blur.

5 hours ago, LostOblivion said:

1.0.5 seemed really polished. 1.1, not so much. Squad needs to fix the UI scale, right now it is completely out of whack, with different elements not scaling well with others, like the top right VAB icons being scaled down a bit causing them to blur.

You did read the Devnotes yesterday, right??

6 hours ago, LostOblivion said:

That's because it was polished... As in 5 patches after the initial release. You can't compare 1.1 to 1.05. Compare 1.1 to 1.0 and you might have a different story. 

Just now, Majorjim said:

Well 1.1.1 is out chaps and chapettes.

Wheels still disable when clipped but legs are fixed! Oh sweet glory legs are fixed!

The 1.1.1 thread in Daily Kerbal dissappeared for some reason.

Anyway, I'm testing out http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/9152 and things seem to be WORSE, but I'm still testing.

Just now, katateochi said:

I wasn't expecting wheel fixes in this, but great to hear legs have been sorted. Are they stronger now? 

Just checked. They are stronger, dont wobble and no longer clip into the ground :) - Quite happy with the update!

Just now, katateochi said:

I wasn't expecting wheel fixes in this, but great to hear legs have been sorted. Are they stronger now? 

Yeah me too, yeah they seem to be great now, suspension works and the feet don't clip into the ground any more.

Just now, Frank_G said:

Just checked. They are stronger, dont wobble and no longer clip into the ground :) - Quite happy with the update!

Horizontal lander work can continue! I am keeping those struts in place though. Just in case. :D

Edited by Majorjim

1 minute ago, Majorjim said:

Yeah me too, yeah they seem to be great now, suspension works and the feet don't clip into the ground any more.

Horizontal lander work can continue! I am keeping those struts in place though. Just in case. :D

Too bad ist getting close to midnight here. I will continue checking and tweaking on Saturday for sure. But it was nice to see some clearance below my lander now :D - this means reconfiguring the habitat as well, as it is half a docking port height below the desired position now.

4 minutes ago, Death Engineering said:

Has this thing turned into a hot crashy mess or am I imagining it??

The offset tool no longer works for me. When selecting it and trying to move a part, I get a rotate tool instead. Sometimes, with offset selected, it moves the part as if I'm using the placement tool. I'm done for a while. I'm so burnt out on this game. Was having so much fun in 1.0.5. But now that I've experienced the snappiness of 1.1, I can't really go back to that crashy mess either. Really very frustrated right now.

Well, since I was planning to restart my career....  I have a copy of 1.1.0 stored and could play it.  What say you, Harry?

Spoiler

Damn, dude, it's a siege.  Get off that horse and get a helmet on.  You're just asking for a crossbowman to pick you off. :)

Off to update my Steam KSP and copy it.

Edited by Jacke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.