[1.11] RemoteTech v1.9.9 [2020-12-19]

On 1/16/2022 at 10:55 AM, SilverlightPony said:

Any ideas why the Antenna Range Multiplier value doesn't seem to be doing anything?  I'm playing with a 2.5x system rescale, and I set the general Antenna Range Multiplier (under "worldscale") to 2.51x (the closest I could get to 2.5x with the slider), but my HG-5 high gain antennas still can't reach from Kerbin to the Mun (which orbits at 28.5Mm at this scale).

IIRC, Antenna Range Multiplier is for enabling stockalike omnidirectional antenna combining. IE, four Communotron-16's become 10Mm range instead of 2.5Mm. The HG-5's are directional antenna, and are not affected by using multiple to increase their range. You need to change the WorldScale option to 2.5.

Hello all, I have trouble with M700 scanner. When I try to perform planetary resource scan, it writes "No usable in-range comms devices on this vessel. Cannot transmit data.", probably because it needs commsnet from stock KSP? I have connection to kerbin with RT antenna so it shouldnt be a connection problem. Anyone encountered this problem before?

EDIT: Just seen someone had same issue on last page...

Edited by Toonu

Sorry if this topic just keep appearing over and over again but i really want to know does kerbal konstruct ground station facility work with remotetech? Can my probe connect with it? I tried many ways but still unable to make it work, there are a option in kk setting that allow it to work with remotetech but i don't think it can do anything. I'm using version 1.11.2 btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I need information and I can't find it; According to the player guide it should be possible to relay signals through (Mk3) Command Pods without Direct KSP Connection. Well in my test case, I have a Mk3 Command Pod landed on the opposite side of Kerbin as KSC, and it won't let me use the "Single Hop" Probe Control Feature of this pod; Furthermore it displays on the map that it /should/ have a connection but instead of the normal orange line it has a tinged yellow line, which is odd, if i put the probe (which is orbiting Kerbin) as the Active Vessel it reads "No Connection". Now I've looked a bit in your config files, and something stuck out at me: SignalRelay is defaulted to False, which is something I'm not sure if it is necessary for this situation to work. 

Edit: I see, reading back it seems you made the specific conclusion that 6 pairs of hands are needed and a specific nondescript part to use that function. You know, as much as I like the flight computer mechanic I think I'll stick with Vanilla Commnet; It should not take 8 extra hands to do the job of 2 Pilots.

Edited by Nysch

• 3 months later...

Do you have to uncheck the commnet setting (I.E disable the stock commnet system) for this mod to work properly? Additionally will disabling commnet but still having remotetech installed cause me to have "control locked" when trying to use a maneuver node without a pilot and no valid connection to the KSC

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue where clicking the flight computer button doesn't seem to open the window. If I exit out of my current save and start a new one, the button works just fine. Anyone ever experience this before? I'm guessing the save somehow got into a weird state regarding the window or button.

I solved my issue. My issue (for anyone in the future) was that I changed my window size to a smaller size. The FC window was positioned offscreen. When I went to check the RemoveTech_Settings.cfg file in the save folder, the FCWinPosX and FCWinPosY values were too high. I just reset to them to 100 (for both), then opened up the save in game, and the window was usable again.

Edited by Machine Maker

So I can see that RemoteTech has a supported version for 1.12.1. I was wondering, has anyone run that version on 1.12.3?

I don't think I'm super keen to go about recompiling the mod for 1.12.3 (I wouldn't really know where to even start), but I'm really keen to keep RemoteTech on a full 1.12.3 build. It makes a lot of sense, since it's the final release for KSP.

• 1 month later...

So, a while back Universal Storage added two deployable sub satellites to their science roster. I've been trying to write my own module manager patch to get the new sub satellites to work nicely with RemoteTech, but I am not a clever man and I don't speak Module Manager and I've had no success stealing snippets from other configs to get this thing to work. Does anyone know of a patch to make these two play nicely?

• 4 weeks later...

@SteevStanman check the settings for remotetech to change how you want it to function.  I usually have antenna's usable without connection to simulate the NASA way antenna's always try and find a connection without input.  Also its a good idea to turn off the base game com system.

@012phuong Try this in the Defualt_Settings.cfg under remotetech folder might not add kk locations but covers the planet in comms.  If you want to make your own just change coordinates and height with a new name of course.

Spoiler

STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc489
            Name = Baikerbanur
            Latitude = 20.680946
            Longitude = -146.501529
            Height = 470
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,1,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 1E+06
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc490
            Name = Crater Rim
            Latitude = 9.450062
            Longitude = -172.110046
            Height = 4021
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,0,1,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 3E+07
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc491
            Name = Mesa South
            Latitude = -59.590091
            Longitude = -25.869715
            Height = 5434
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,0,1,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 3E+07
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc492
            Name = Harvester Massif
            Latitude = -11.950099
            Longitude = 33.739979
            Height = 2660
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,0,1,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 3E+07
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc493
            Name = Nye Island
            Latitude = 5.359923
            Longitude = 108.549972
            Height = 371
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,0,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 75000000
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc494
            Name = North Station One
            Latitude = 63.095095
            Longitude = -90.079902
            Height = 2780
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,0,1,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 3E+07
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc495
            Name = Island Airfield
            Latitude = -1.522808
            Longitude = -71.911115
            Height = 182
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,1,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 1E+06
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc496
            Name = Woomerang Launchsite
            Latitude = 45.290118
            Longitude = 136.119935
            Height = 801
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,1,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 1E+06
                }
            }
        }
        STATION
        {
            Guid = 5105f5a9-d628-41c6-ad4b-21154e8fc497
            Name = Dessert Airfield
            Latitude = -6.520386
            Longitude = -144.019437
            Height = 873
            Body = 1
            MarkColor = 1,1,0,1
            Antennas
            {
                ANTENNA
                {
                    Omni = 1E+06
                }
            }
        }

Edited by garithmar

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 9:31 PM, Nerbal The Second said:

Does this work with near future exploration?

I was trying to find an answer to this myself. The Near Future forum thread says that it's incompatible, but I'm not sure whether or not that's been edited since NFEx was released. I did, however, find this issue on the RemoteTech Github, and it appears that the code to add NFEx compatibility has been added. I've not checked whether it's in the current release, but it's definitely in the dev branch on Github, so if you're still wondering this, there's your answer.

I have not tested this, so I don't know how well it works, but it looks like it should work somehow.

On 11/25/2022 at 3:44 PM, septemberWaves said:

I was trying to find an answer to this myself. The Near Future forum thread says that it's incompatible, but I'm not sure whether or not that's been edited since NFEx was released. I did, however, find this issue on the RemoteTech Github, and it appears that the code to add NFEx compatibility has been added. I've not checked whether it's in the current release, but it's definitely in the dev branch on Github, so if you're still wondering this, there's your answer.

I have not tested this, so I don't know how well it works, but it looks like it should work somehow.

Came here looking exactly for this. as only extra antennas I'm using are Near Future's. Hopefully they work fine :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

RemoteTech has locked inputs in my install of v1.9.12 from CKAN.  Opening the debug menu, it shows:

RTLockStaging
RTLockSAS
RTLockRCS
RTLockActions

I went to a fresh over to a fresh install of KSP and get the same results.  Here is the game install data:

1.12.4.3187 (WindowsPlayer x64) en-us
1.12.1 Making History
1.7.1 Breaking Ground

And a screenshot with the stage lock showing in purple.  (Also, Alt-L does not release the lock)

screenshot5.png

I have tried everything I can think of and scoured the forums.  There used to be an issue with this, but I think it was fixed back in 2016?  

Thanks for any assistance you can provide!

Matt

• 1 month later...

I'm having a problem with ground stations. I'm using GPP and every time I load into my save, the only ground station that appears is the KSC (GSC technically). The other ground stations only appear after I hit the "starting settings" button on the RT setting while looking at the space center. I've updated all the config files to include the ground stations that should be there by default, but they only appear after I hit the starting settings button. Also it seems like they disappear after I fly a vessel and then return to the space center. Is there a setting that I am missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PRIMARY PLAN of attack.

Hi I am actually after some advice from a programmer familiar with Remote Tech.
I expect I will probably just wind up reading source code to find out but no need to rediscover the wheel if I dont have to.  (crosses fingers)

(even a hint where to start in which source file would be nice)

My goals are very modest, I want to use std Commnet but with some small tweaks, I am hoping RT in effect documents how to hook what I need. (of course it may just reimplement it from the ground)

What I need is to tweak how Comnet decides exactly 'where' the antennae relay is, it currently (TBMK) uses center of mass of the ship as a whole. perfection would be approximated by tweaking that to be centre of mass of just the antennae, but just getting it to use just the root part would do.

The issue is exemplified by: if i build  floating (yes floating) commnet relay station with its CoM under the water level to make the ship stable. It works very poorly no matter how high the mast with an antennae on top is.  Designing and moving a ship with its CoM a substantial distance above sea level is just a bit challenging, a bit too challenging

======================

You: Huh? Why? 

Yes in game, I am indeed making my own ground based relay network (mainly leveraging hills) , but some water passages are just too wide, and that makes making a (quasi) equatorial token ring network impractical.
(even for really small values of practical :)

======================

ALTERNATE plan of attack.

alternatively if there is way to configure RT to behave almost exactly like COMMNET, I could manually add the very few ground stations where having an aerial effectively on tall mast is required for my gameplay/style. (basically cheat a ground station at a coordinate and altitude, to mimic the one I know i just built(with KAS + tweaks))

======================================

Edit:

A while later: RESOLUTION

My reading of the source indicates (TBMK which is very limited)  remote tech does not modify or hook Commnet. I cant do what I needed based on it.
I could reimplement commnet as Remote tech has, with my one small difference in deciding where the transmitter is (based on part location not CoM)

Instead I just got better (cheatier) at construction. I wont specify exactly how as working it out is a reasonable (no spoiler) puzzle. 

Spoiler a bit:

But the parts list of an engineer, KAS, ground tethered stabiliser, 2G antenna 2 PV panels, and two liquid fuel tanks. is enough to build a really (80+m) tall comms tower.
It might be Ok (buildable) with one tank, but I liked having one on the ground under the other. (Such tanks dont seem to clip into the ground and explode so very often.)

(caveat I suggest once you build tower and sucessfully physics unload it, that you never go back.)

Weirdly enough NAV HUD is a beneficial as its NS and EW HUD sight lines are true vertical, and building leaning over towers is bad.
And that is enough to reach across the water, with skillful tower placement.
kOS and program to draw sight lines from the last relay tower tangent to sea level in the direction of the kOS processor, is also a pretty handy tool when laying out land relays.

Edited by AxleGreaser
resolved my own issue and didnt want to bump the thread.

On 2/25/2023 at 8:50 PM, AxleGreaser said:

The issue is exemplified by: if i build  floating (yes floating) commnet relay station with its CoM under the water level to make the ship stable. It works very poorly no matter how high the mast with an antennae on top is.  Designing and moving a ship with its CoM a substantial distance above sea level is just a bit challenging, a bit too challenging

When I was building a radio tower out of girders and struts at the poles, I had a separate relay probe in a bowl at the top of the tower, so it counts as being 50m up.  Getting power to the transmitter in the nest is the tricky bit, but at least the two vehicles should be stable.

Mountains, of course, make things simple.  I used a cargo plane to dump octos with a parachute, DP-10 and solar, and buzzed the mountain peaks close enough that the probes land before going out of physics range.

BTW, is anyone else having issues with the RT orientation commands in 1.12.5?

It is always overshooting, and wobbles the gimbals like it is trying to orbit the aim point instead of going there, even in cases where manual control is easy to hold. 

I've also got a satellite set to "kill rotation" but it is just SHMming a wobble back and forth over 230 degrees... I'm not super clear on PID settings, but shouldn't kill basically use 100% "I" and zero "P"/"D" to stop the rotation without any particular destination?  Rather than what seems to be 100% "P" and no damping at all?

I tried jiggery-poking the PID settings; in theory bigger "I" should damp it harder and not overshoot even though it might take forever to get to the target.  The settings clearly had some sort of effect, but I was unable to get anything more useful in practice, so I've put them back to default.

Dear RemoteTech Team, @tomek.piotrowski

One of the main and core feature of RemoteTech is planning.

If you don't plan wisely, then you're stuck. So the Range is the main component, added to that the type of antenna you use.

But Power is also a dependency, and tbh, I'm struggeling to perfectly design probes with the adequate power management.

I've tried few mods to help mitigate and the best I found at this point was FuseBox. However, it is not drilling down the data as DBS (below) does.

But unfortunately it is useless when using RemoteTech, since the Antennas drain isn't recorded by the mod.

Someone has asked the question to @Nertea on the OP of that mod, and he seems open to integrate RemoteTech support.

So, would it be possible for you guys to share and connect with @Nertea  - to make it possible to use

Thanks a million!

Edited by Demcrew
Typo

Well, I'm not sure what exactly is up, but adding more gyro mitigates the overshooting.  I've taken to just locking the gimbals down to 3% or so, and smacking on moar torque to settle things.  The computer doesn't seem to like the tiny stick on gyros and demands something beefier I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Disabling roll on the gimbals seems to help a bunch, particularly on single engine craft.  I'm thinking with an amount of length and flex in the ship, the engine moves slightly off center under thrust and becomes capable of impacting roll in a miniscule amount so it thrashes to try and do so.

• 4 weeks later...

The rover autodrive works great until I add a gyro...

The wheels keep pointing in the proper direction, but the gyro spins the craft over to point in the wrong direction...  if I nav towards 45 degrees, the wheels point at 45, but the gyro spins the craft to 315 instead.  I need to disable the torque to get the rover moving properly in any direction other than due north or south. :(

I can't see how such a heading mirroring could be caused by rover design, but would be happy to fix it if there's a known way how.

I'm using a 6-wheeler rovemate that sometimes has a CoM almost behind the rear wheels when it is full of ore, so it wheelies during acceleration which makes the gyro important but only possible to use with manual drive.

Seems to happen on all the rovers I've tried tho.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I'm seeing.

I'm requesting an autodrive to hdg 30, and the wheels turn the right way, but the gyro controls insist on -30 instead, and the gyro wins.

The gyro is also trying to pitch the craft to upside down, which causes problems on any bumps, but at least the roll cage does its job.

I could understand the upside down thing if I'd mounted the rovemate in a wacky way, but as you can see in the nav ball, the forward vector is good.

I also can't fathom how it locks on to the heading of 330 instead of 30 (I could understand if it was 90 or 180 off, but mirroring is wacky), or how the wheels end up fighting with the gyro.

(Note, heading of 90 makes it go -90 (270), and 45 goes -45 (315) etc)

Any ideas on why this might be happening or how to fix my rovers?

KSP_RT_Roverbork.png