SSTO Interplanetary Spaceship?

Hey guys! so, I was wondering, is it possible to create a fully functional and utilizable spaceship without a lander (the spaceship is basically the lander itself) which can get into orbit and travel between planets without any hassle? From stock parts? 

You may use only 2 mods btw and non of them should be OP

if someone can make this, please post the pics!

This is basically not a challenge, I actually just wanted to see whether is it possible or not, but the only way to see this, is to make this into a challenge!

So the one who wins gets uh.. uhm... My friendship!

If you can haul an ISRU to Minmus on one stage, you can go pretty much everywhere.

All stock parts, built in 1.0.5. Hauling that heavy ISRU all the way to Minmus was tough, but not impossible.

wDcG9BF.jpg

Now, the objective of this mission was just to land and plant flags everywhere, so the only thing it can do is land and return. There's no payload capability or anything like that, just a giant interplanetary lander.

Edited by cubinator

Just take a good long look at any of Rune's SSTAs, and you have the concept. The Javelin is a good example, and quite a few crafts in the back pages of the SSTO showcase will do this, easy.

Something like this? :wink:

This is my SSTO "Excalibur" doing the Ultimate Challenge.

The landers are only used for EVE and Tylo. All other landings are done by it self.

Edited by Kergarin

3 hours ago, RenegadeRad said:

Now make it fully functional with sciencelab and stuff!

At that scale, the tyranny of Tsiolkovsky is powerful, and adding any mass means adding more fuel, and adding more fuel means adding more engines, and adding more engines means adding more fuel, until it's a monster that barely fits in the VAB and flies at half a frame per second. Then I'd have to fly it for weeks if I wanted to maximize the science gain visiting all the biomes in the entire solar system. I just don't have the motivation to repeat the whole mission.

But if you want to try and improve on my design, go right ahead!

HI @RenegadeRad:)

I made this ship for the Jool 5 Challenge some time ago, he can go and land everywhere but Eve... and go back Kerbin without loosing any parts.

iuCnwsh.jpg

That was in 1.05, so there is a little work to do for 1.1.2, at least on landing gears, and on the radiators for better ISRU efficiency, but all the experiments science parts are already in :)

Hope this help :wink:

Fly safe with Valentina !

14 hours ago, captinjoehenry said:

Well I have a really awesome one that can go anywhere in the kerbol system but it use Interstellar extended mod so I do not know if it counts as that mod might be a bit op.  But I did build it and use it plenty in my career mode!

Show me, it's legit.

Well I have made a 4.5 million dollar space plane that can go anywhere in the whole solar system.  And just now I made a 500,000 dollar space ship that can do the same thing except for leaving Eve.

LUOyZqz.png

It currently does not have any science on board but that can be added easily enough and it has unlimited range and can take off from kerbin entirely unassisted.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.