[KSP 1.6.1] Stock Visual Terrain [v2.2.0] [20 March 2019]

Galileo

9 hours ago, fourfa said:

Just a heads up... Kopernicus updated for 1.2.2, and my KSP hangs on load forever until I remove it.  Can someone test if they can get SVT running with the latest version?  SVT is the only mod I use it for.

Being discussed in the Kopernicus thread, the situation they are having is directly related to Better Burn Time but the actual root cause of the problem that they have found could crop up with other mods and a fix is being worked on.

12 hours ago, Azimech said:

How can I decrease the load/unload distance of a scatter type?

Hopefully someone knows, I've literally asked this question 4 separate times over the last few months in the Kopernicus thread, tagging Thomas P. each time and never gotten a response as to whether it's possible or not to configure

11 hours ago, Azimech said:

Here's my config, I just changed the sunlight intensity values from 0.75 to 1.25. Much more like being in a desert.

Would suggest getting Ambient Light Adjustment - I use it a lot for adjusting the light levels when taking screenshots to make sunny days brighter, cloudy days dimmer and dawn/dusk times darker, among other things

28 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

Hopefully someone knows, I've literally asked this question 4 separate times over the last few months in the Kopernicus thread, tagging Thomas P. each time and never gotten a response as to whether it's possible or not to configure

its a lot of quess work to get your scatter to render further out.. you have to raise the PQS levels for the scatter to be extended out. like this

PQS
  {
  minLevel = 2
  maxLevel = 12
  minDetailDistance = 10

then you would need to change the amount of maxScatter objects you want to render like this

Scatter
  {
  maxScatter = 40

ITS KILLS FPS just so you know. I have a gtx1080 and extending it out too far and having too many scatter objects render at once (which you will need if you want your trees to be closer together than 1000m apart) and it brought me down to 12fps. its not worth the performance drop.

Edited by Galileo

3 hours ago, Galileo said:

ITS KILLS FPS just so you know. I have a gtx1080 and extending it out too far and having too many scatter objects render at once (which you will need if you want your trees to be closer together than 1000m apart) and it brought me down to 12fps. its not worth the performance drop.

Thanks! I will look into trying this next time I need it. I do images not videos, so I don't care about FPS, personally :) (I'm down to 12-15 FPS myself with a lot of scatter). However I have figured out a means to fly a plane around with gfx turned way down for performance then reload the game with gfx maxed out and place it right back along the flightpath in the proper orientation wherever I want in order to grab a sweet screenshot or few. So I'd like to populate my surroundings a lot more.

Maybe that's why no one ever answered me? They were afraid I'd come running back crying about low FPS? :P

Edited by Drew Kerman

On 12/8/2016 at 9:24 AM, Akira_R said:

Being discussed in the Kopernicus thread, the situation they are having is directly related to Better Burn Time but the actual root cause of the problem that they have found could crop up with other mods and a fix is being worked on.

Seems to be fixed with the latest (after my post) version of Kopernicus.  Thanks for the pointer

is this the only mod you have that provides visuals? if you use SVE it's pretty heavy on Duna due to the dust storms. ill be working on a proper 1.2.2 update soon and will look into the performance

Edited by Galileo

7 minutes ago, Galileo said:

is this the only mod you have that provides visuals? SVE is pretty heavy on Duna due to the dust storms. ill be working on a proper 1.2.2 update soon and will look into the performance

I'm using the Sci-Fi Visual Enhancements too ... Forgot about that one, gonna choose between some of the functions.

Anyway, I have a short list with questions on a previous page :-P

Edit: what am I doing ... too much to learn. Can't combine Sci-Fi VE and SVE without a study, going to choose SVE for now.

Edited by Azimech

On 12/8/2016 at 8:02 AM, Azimech said:

A few things I've learned.

• The broadleaf trees have a tendency to dominate almost every scenery unless specifically specified they're not wanted in a certain biome. Even then they creep up here and there: ocean floor, mountains etc.
  • Increasing the scatter density of the pine has a tremendous impact on performance. Even when being outnumbered 10 to 1 with the broadleaf. Probably because the load/unload distances are much higher.
  • KSP's scatter system seems a bit immature, the scatter type on scene load will often dominate even in unwanted biomes, we've seen trees on top of mountains in the vanilla game. Sometimes it does it right though. Some kind of a terminator would probably help, a neutral zone for scatters running along a biome border, extended 5 clicks in both directions.
  • Trees are incredibly memory hungry. With just a few scene changes, my 8GB of ram was filled.

A few questions. 

1. In the kerbin.cfg you have this section:

Scatter
						{
							materialType = CutoutDiffuse
							mesh = BUILTIN/pine
							castShadows = True
							densityFactor = 0.30
							maxCache = 512
							maxCacheDelta = 64
							maxLevelOffset = 0
							maxScale = 2
							maxScatter = 30
							maxSpeed = 500
							minScale = 0.5
							recieveShadows = True
							name = Pine00
							seed = 65465
							verticalOffset = -1
							delete = False
							collide = True
							science = False
							Material
							{
								color = 0.5447761,0.5447761,0.5447761,1
								mainTex = BUILTIN/pinetree
								mainTexScale = 1,1
								mainTexOffset = 0,0
								cutoff = 0.4402985
							}
							Experiment
							{
							}
						}

And this section is present twice. The standard broadleaf tree doesn't have this section. Is this an error or done intentionally?

2. How can I decrease the load/unload distance of a scatter type?

3. Does BaseMountains translate as Highlands?

4. Does Savannah translate as Badlands?

5. I can't find the ambient control to make the nights darker at sea level on Kerbin.

6. sunlightColor = 1, 1, 1, 1 ... R,G,B,?

Yes it's intentional but I may have overlooked something. 

2 I think I explained it on the last page. It's a process though. 

3. The names of the areas for scatter objects don't really translate to biome names exactly.  It's  little more complicated than that.  And I honestly don't understand it 100%

4.  same as above

5. You would have to change the ambient color color value in the planet and on the sun..  But I can't remember if I included those parameters in my configs. 

6. It's RGBA in float value. The A is the opacity, or transparency 

3 minutes ago, Azimech said:

Thanks! All small bits help.

Tried with just SVE, there's an improvement but it's doing 11 FPS now (Vanilla: 35). I think my old GFX card is the problem, going to rescale the Duna texture and see if it helps.

Sound like your card is having a helluva time with volumetric clouds.  And SVE will definitely bring any setup down at least 15-20fps so what you are experiencing is about normal

On 12/6/2016 at 5:09 PM, Galileo said:

This is probably because Galactic Neighborhood also uses its own kopernicus cfgs for the stock planets and they are probably conflicting. You will have to either merge the cfgs or delete the ones that come with GN.  You of course would have to make the correct changes in the SVT configs

Merged configs into the "StockSystem.cfg" of Galactic Neighborhood and it worked excellently. Great visual mod, keep it up!

now i just wish clouds didn't eat up so much framerate... ;.;

Edited by fast_de_la_speed

16 minutes ago, Galileo said:

All you have to do is delete the cfgs that come with GN and replace them with SVT's configs and you will be good to go

mmmmm.... not quite, as GN creates the galactic core from the sun and copies the original sun into "StockSun", which would not happen if you delete the GN configs. I took the path of copying all the @Body data from SVT configs into the cfg for the stock system in GN, which I uploaded below.

29 minutes ago, Benji13 said:

Could you please upload those configs somewhere?

Here is a MEGA link, place this CFG into GalacticNeighborhood/Configs/Core and replace the file that's in there. It should work fine.

Sorry to annoy you and thank you for your great mod but english is not my main language and i have some Misunderstandings, 

For now i use only SVE because scatterer makes a black sky in my game (certainly because scatterer is not up to date no ?) 

And i have only 2 others questions and i'm really sorry if you have answered them but i didn't found where. 

1) SVE and SVT are compatible ?

2) Can i use real solar system with them ? (if they are compatible) 

5 minutes ago, Oshika said:

Sorry to annoy you and thank you for your great mod but english is not my main language and i have some Misunderstandings, 

For now i use only SVE because scatterer makes a black sky in my game (certainly because scatterer is not up to date no ?) 

And i have only 2 others questions and i'm really sorry if you have answered them but i didn't found where. 

1) SVE and SVT are compatible ?

2) Can i use real solar system with them ? (if they are compatible) 

Scatterer works fine in 1.2.2.

SVE and SVT were made together,  so yes,  they are compatible. 

No they will not work with RSS

9 minutes ago, Galileo said:

No they will not work with RSS

Thank you very much for your answer, 

Mhh, it's strange for scatterer because i have pink kerbin on map view and black sky at the space center, i will take a look on the scatterer topic and ask help for this issue over there. 

9 minutes ago, Oshika said:

Thank you very much for your answer, 

Mhh, it's strange for scatterer because i have pink kerbin on map view and black sky at the space center, i will take a look on the scatterer topic and ask help for this issue over there. 

If you are using a mac or Linux,  this happens.  

Edited by Galileo

17 hours ago, Galileo said:

Follow up on this subject :

I was thinking on using SVT (after running succefully Scaterrer, EVE and SVE).

Since SVT needs KOPERNICUS it's safe to assume the all five work nicely together, yes?

1 hour ago, Death Engineering said:

Hi, I'm getting crash to desktop just after load but before the 'start game' screen pops up. I've not had a problem with this mod before. On KSP 1.2.2. Using SVE by itself works fine.

ekQCg42l.png

error.log

output.log

Thanks for any insight!

It wouldn't crash if you were using x64 bit. You are running the x32 bit

On 12/11/2016 at 8:35 AM, Argelle said:

Follow up on this subject :

I was thinking on using SVT (after running succefully Scaterrer, EVE and SVE).

Since SVT needs KOPERNICUS it's safe to assume the all five work nicely together, yes?

SVE has Scatterer and EVE bundled with it.  Do not download them separately. SVT and and SVE were designed together so yes they are compatible as I stated 4 comments ago. 

33 minutes ago, Galileo said:

SVE has Scatterer and EVE bundled with it.  Do not download them separately. SVT and and SVE were designed together so yes they are compatible as I stated 4 comments ago. 

Dammit, my english is not good enough for nuances, I wrongly thought scaterrer should be installed, as SVE state in the first page :

This is designed to be used alongside the latest version of Scatterer. I'm designing it to look best with this installed so it may look off to you if you do not use it.

I guess that's why SVE replaced files into scatterer and EVE folders when I installed it !

Note that I did not get any visible bug or crash (I install Scaterrer, then EVE, then finally SVE).

1 minute ago, Argelle said:

Dammit, my english is not good enough for nuances, I wrongly thought scaterrer should be installed, as SVE state in the first page :

Thats not your fault.  I have it worded badly in the OP.  I'll change it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.