Missing Savefiles or "rollback" On restart - Got a workaround

1 minute ago, sal_vager said:

What I've found is if there's enough user data of any sort it can fail to sync, it doesn't even sync part of your files, it just seems to stop working.

Craft files can do it but you need a lot of them, hat really fills it up is your saves, the more craft in those saves the sooner you max out.

And when you do, no more syncs are made, so all the updates to the persistent.sfs and quicksave.sfs are not sent to the server, so when you restart you're left with what saves you had when you reached the limit, and any progress after that point simply wasn't saved.

So that means that deleting some files, after reaching the "invisible" limit, would not help or?  Should one instead maybe just try too never max out while playing?  (until its fixed ofc.)

11 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

It seems to be, do xboxes let us back up saves in any way? I've not found an option for it.

Not that I've been able to find.

I know there is a limit to how much cloud storage each game can use (at least on Xbox) but it seems much higher than what we should be hitting here.

4 minutes ago, erikinthebakery said:

Not that I've been able to find.

I know there is a limit to how much cloud storage each game can use (at least on Xbox) but it seems much higher than what we should be hitting here.

The limit is 2GB. Not even close to filling it up.

This is on PC, with a lot of mods, so only partially valid, but my entire KSP folder takes up only 3.5 GB.

Also, did someone not mention earlier that they had "seen this issue on PC before" and that "it got patched"? Might this be related to the PS4 and XBOne versions being equivalent to KSP-PC 1.1.1? (the latest version is 1.1.3, which I assume Flying Tiger Entertainment is busily porting).

I had this problem happen to me 5 times in one night (In fact it was the same trip to the mun every time). In my storage I have only like 4 ships. Nothing close to even 10. Unfortunately I don't believe this to be a sufficient solution. They did mention on their reddit that they were planning to fix how the game would "recreate" the universe every time it loaded. Hopefully that is the answer we're all looking for.

On 30 July 2016 at 9:06 AM, James M said:

I had this problem happen to me 5 times in one night (In fact it was the same trip to the mun every time). In my storage I have only like 4 ships. Nothing close to even 10. Unfortunately I don't believe this to be a sufficient solution. They did mention on their reddit that they were planning to fix how the game would "recreate" the universe every time it loaded. Hopefully that is the answer we're all looking for.

Link? I cannot find them due to the massive use of the name flying tiger.

On ‎30‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 10:06 AM, James M said:

as explained above, its not just ship Crafts. Its most likely sub-asseblies, And more importanlty Savegames themselves.

If you have 3-4 Flights at the same time, in a savegame, that savegame is ALOT larger then the one when you started the game.

So, just make sure you keep Savegames With only a few saves, also keeping Crafts low will help.

My m8 started having the same problem last nite, and he had gotten my "warning" infront...  But as you, he had forgotten that he had probably saved alot the last days, due too complicated "missions". So , that way he filled up the memory, even tho he had been somewhat carefull wil Crafts.

Just delete sum saves too :):wink:

-----------------------------

On another matter, tho its about saves again.

About two days ago, I could not save at all, that means, i could do everything in flight as normal, but, when pressing the "Savegame/SpaceStation/Retrive Wessel", i saw i pressed the button, but nothing happend, i was stuck in flight.

This was after a landing on the Muun. And had taken sum time. So i didnt just wanna restart the game. 

"Solution"

after i landed, and couldnt retrive the wessel (or anything as stated above, i could not get too KSC or out of flight), i notised the game autosaving....  

I then went into EVA, and when pressing "start" and "Go to Spacestation" this time, i got a Warning "If you exit blablablabecouse of eva, you will go back too you last save...."  (think it even stated how long ago that save was made)

So i did, And it worked....  I got a load in KSC, that was able too retrive the Craft With my science And Crew ^^

Edited by DaCana
nm

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it's bad, and sad that ps and xbone users have been sold this, but please be patient (probably heard that already),  this is one of the most groundbreaking games ever(and gamebreaking at times) but squad have been pretty awesome in the past and with the immense pressure to get things right with the European release I can see this coming goo.

Fly safe.

So, I have seen many posts regarding peoples solutions. Only to be followed by the same person later on posting that this method stopped working. From what i see, It seems like a combination of problems. The persistent file corrupting easily and too much going on in the game (debris, flights, flags, saved vehicles) which causes the game to crash.

I only get to play for about 1-2 hours a day on my XBox so I could just be getting lucky. But I would like to add another method to the mix. Actually its not a new method but it seems to be working for me.

I am not holding onto saved ships. once its up and in flight I delete it from storage, in the tracking station I have everything toggled on so I can see everything that the game has to deal with and then terminate what I don't need (this is mostly the ship debris) and ive stopped planting flags for the time being 

Now if i left it like this and the game crashed it would still revert but if i can add some science (no matter how small) and then save the game, exit open up a new game (in order to properly close kerbal down) and then open KSP back up. it then has a new anchor point for any future rollback. This is tedious for those who like to save regularly. Im getting into the habit of opening a game cleaning up all ships and debris and then getting on with a mission that will get me some science back to the space centre and then using this method before it crashes.

Just stay on top of it. after a mission terminate all your debris (clean up after yourself!). minimise that risk of crashing in order to get yourself through a mission and get some science and in my experience you should be able to progress through the game until they sort this mess out!

Addition: I should also add that I do not quicksave throughout the game I just let the autosave do its thing and if I screw up i just go back to last auto save (my own fault for screwing up) this may have some impact on being able to progress.

Edited by AndyChilly
additional thought

2 hours ago, AndyChilly said:

Just stay on top of it. after a mission terminate all your debris (clean up after yourself!).

If this helps out with save size then I would suggest adjusting the "persistent debris" setting to zero, the game will automatically delete debris and you won't have to spend time doing it in the tracking center. 

(I'm coming from PC, not 100% sure the settings are the same for the console versions)

2 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

If this helps out with save size then I would suggest adjusting the "persistent debris" setting to zero, the game will automatically delete debris and you won't have to spend time doing it in the tracking center. 

(I'm coming from PC, not 100% sure the settings are the same for the console versions)

I doubt the Xbox allows this setting but Ill check it out tonight. thanks for the tip.

I was using this workaround, but have consistently been encountering loss of saves.  I deleted all but two of my crafts and have cleared out my saves.  There's no persistent debris option, like the PC, that I could find, but I manually clear my debris.  Anyway, I played for a couple hours, lost all my progress.  I tried again, lost all my progress again.  This workaround did get me a couple more tech. levels down the career, but I'm effectively stuck at this point.

Like Harrysaxon says, this seems silly when there's a lot of free memory available on my console.  

13 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

TWo months have passed, but nothing nas been done. And even The Date is not promised..

And I'm certain they have been sitting around doing absolutely nothing in that time. They've likely been drinking margaritas and lighting torches with the hundred dollar bills they're getting in revenue to light up their dance in the moonlight.

The game is virtually unplayable on console! After 2 months, any team should've been able to release a patch that allows basic play for longer than an hour without some form of lockup. Everyone knows it will take time to streamline the game to the masterpiece it is, but there have been day1 patches on other games so this talk of several layers of QA and certifications is sounding more and more like excuses. ESPECIALLY since these problems arise in the first 45 min to an hour of playing. IMO, if FT or SQUAD have found a way to play this for more than an hour, or build a ship with more than 100 parts, then that's a patch that needs to be pumped out ASAP! That would at least show the players that something is being done. :)

26 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

And I'm certain they have been sitting around doing absolutely nothing in that time.

No! They seriously "working on it", but without any visible results, and even without the stories about these results. But we believe, and what we still have left to do?

Hey Guy, im sorry the work around is not working for everyone.

It really does seem to be working for me, But i'm not sure why it isnt for you guys. My daily system is as follows.

Toggle everything visible on the tracking station

Terminate Debris, Flags (though ive stopped planting for now), ships i no longer require (i have about 5-6 currently in use and required)

make sure my save files in the main menu are down to 1 only.

delete all unneeded rockets/planes in the in the assembly base

delete all sub assemblies that im not using

Oh, possible important piece of info i may have left out: Don't employ too many Kerbals i have about 6 (two of each profession)

After earning a large amount of science. save the game, jump out, open a different game (in order to full close the game down ) and then reopen kerbal. its a pain in the cheeks having to reload the whole game but worth it to save that science.  

If this still doesn't help then i'm sorry for the wild goose hunt. 

AC-I've tried your workaround, along with a list of others on here, and eventually I get a majorly crash where it wipes out the file. Freezing I can deal with, but it's the loss of files that makes it a pointless play. Right around 75 parts, I start getting freezing. By part 100, I can't even click on a new part.  The furthest I've ever gotten was in sandbox, and I had a small space station in LKO, and a small satellite orbiting Mun.  I went to send up a small addition to my station, and bang, corruption. I keep Kerbal clean, no debris, no unnecessary files, no unused rockets or parts saved, and I've even gone so far as to clean up my PS4 drive and files themselves just to make sure there isn't a speck of wasted space or memory. Still crashes.

I don't need a perfect game, just a playable one. If FT is going to take 6 months to get this thing running, then I'm sorry, I'll be asking for my $ back because my desire to play this game fades a little more every day that I don't get to play it.  That said, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that some OT is being put in because I really did love this game....the 4 hours of it I've been able to play.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.