Console Patches Update Discussion

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

While frustrating, I'm wondering how "game breaking" the bugs are. I've watched some streamers play it on the console, and it seemed ok at the time

It's fine until the save corrupts itself, from what I've seen. Saves are a ticking bomb. 

So yeah, it might seem fine when a streamer plays for a few hours, but put any significant play time in and the corruption will get you sooner or later.

9 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, I don't own a console.  So yes, your unhappiness is understandable.

While frustrating, I'm wondering how "game breaking" the bugs are. I've watched some streamers play it on the console, and it seemed ok at the time

This is the most broken game I've had the misfortune of playing. There are many bugs but the corruption one is the worst. I can understand bugs being in a ported game, it's the sheer length of time with no fixes that I find unacceptable. 

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's fine until the save corrupts itself, from what I've seen. Saves are a ticking bomb. 

So yeah, it might seem fine when a streamer plays for a few hours, but put any significant play time in and the corruption will get you sooner or later.

This has been my experience. Scott Manley even stopped doing his console play through a couple weeks ago, after about 6 hours of total gameplay, which seems pretty consistent with the problems myself and others have been having. 

I've been banished back to this thread for asking too many questions in the dev note thread. Squad never even mentioned the progress (if there is any) on the consoles this week. I give up, after two months and not even a hotfix my patience is at an end. Hopefully you guys get this mythical patch by Christmas. 

2 hours ago, RW1984 said:

I've been banished back to this thread for asking too many questions in the dev note thread. Squad never even mentioned the progress (if there is any) on the consoles this week. I give up, after two months and not even a hotfix my patience is at an end. Hopefully you guys get this mythical patch by Christmas. 

My guess is that they tested more failed attempts at a fix by FT. There was more in the devnotes regarding mods than there was talking about the broken console release and a fix. The lack of communication really is just ignoring at this point. It's getting to be so ridiculous that I just want Squad to come out with an apology, and issue refunds to those of us who want them. I am sure that would be embarrassing for them, and they don't want to do that. They would rather keep our money and tell us to wait, but what is an acceptable amount of time for us to wait? About 2 weeks was the acceptable amount of time for us to wait for a fix on console. It's been 2 months. 

This is kind of unprecedented as far as video game releases go. Bugs are one thing, but game breaking bugs like not being able to progress in the game going unfixed 2 months after release is a whole other issue. I have personally never experienced any game being this bad. It needed to get sorted out quickly, like a month and a half ago, and there needs to be some honesty and transparency coming out of both Squad and FT. Having this as our first impression of Squad and KSP isn't a good one. The game is not in early access on console and we did not pre-order the game to play it at some unspecified point in the future. 

BRUTAL dev notes.  The curruption appears to go far beyond the save data.  They're so excited about PC1.2 it seems like they have forgotten all about their console customers.  Are there not enough of us for SQUAD to care?  At first I was fascinated by all this console update drama.  Now I am losing my patience and approaching mortification.

7 hours ago, DOCTOR DEMENTAL said:

BRUTAL dev notes.  The curruption appears to go far beyond the save data.  They're so excited about PC1.2 it seems like they have forgotten all about their console customers.  Are there not enough of us for SQUAD to care?  At first I was fascinated by all this console update drama.  Now I am losing my patience and approaching mortification.

Just read through, its almost like they are ignoring the problem. I know they are not but they clearly have nothing more to say on the matter "were working on it" would have probably met a high level of abuse but would have still been better than not acknowledging the issue.

I'm still playing the console version every night for an hour or so and still really enjoying it. So I can live with this (last night I caught my first asteroid and proceeded to get dragged by it into Kerbins atmosphere where we disintegrated....it was fun!). What I am not enjoying is that other console users cannot play it with their style of play. I did attempt to share how I play so aid people but it hasn't worked it seems. I currently feel like i'm playing this game on my own and for that reason i'm starting to get tired of the lack of an update from them.

Also as soon as its fixed I can start big projects like bases and stations which I am looking forward to.

On ‎09‎.‎09‎.‎2016 at 1:28 PM, AndyChilly said:
21 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

No, I don't own a console.  So yes, your unhappiness is understandable.

I went back to my solution post. to re-read it and make sure it made sense and it was gone!!

Was about to complain and then I see its been Sticky'd to the opening post as the best solution.

1. of all, when "all" those Companies releases their  broken games, they ususaly get it working within a week or two, atleast the crititcal fixes, so its not really the same is it??  This game STILL doesnt work!. (And Squad dont belive in hotfixes they told me)

And here we are 8 weeks!!! after release, and theyr patches still fails QA's...

Yeah you can start the game, play it for a while. But not for long... So it "Works" but is still broken. If you'd play the game for 2 hours only, you'd prolly never notise the "memorybug".

And 2.dly what is needed too break this game you ask?

well, as i've said so many times now, this is how I did my first test, It wont fail.

Start a New career

Go into hangar, build a ship With 300 Parts.

Then just rename this Ship 10 times! Save it With New names ofc.

When doing this, only the first 7 or 8 Ships will be Saved, the rest (9th-10th) will just disappear. Also, any saves/quicksaves/autosaves after this point will fail, and disappear after restarting the game. They are there before Restarting the game, but disappear on restart.

It is as you max out the games available memory or sumthing, You can free up space, but can only go so far, as the savefiles themselves grow larger.

And do notise! This is with having the ships in the "load ships" folder, you dont even need to have them in-flight.

Yeah this game is so broken....  should never gone thru the prerelease QA. Wonder how it did that...

Edited by DaCana

Must also be the reason why the Europe release has been postponed, wondering if the QA procedure for their store is different.
I do believe that SQUAD has little to do with the lack of progress and might not be up to date on what FT is doing on weekly basis and therefore focused the devnote on the PC version.

Still it is taking for too long, this is unacceptable for any company. I like SQUAD, they have been great on keeping us up to date with how the PC versions are doing but this is just making me sad.

23 minutes ago, RexusNL said:

Must also be the reason why the Europe release has been postponed, wondering if the QA procedure for their store is different.
I do believe that SQUAD has little to do with the lack of progress and might not be up to date on what FT is doing on weekly basis and therefore focused the devnote on the PC version.

Still it is taking for too long, this is unacceptable for any company. I like SQUAD, they have been great on keeping us up to date with how the PC versions are doing but this is just making me sad.

Yep yep. I've followed KSP since its inception. Haven't been able to play in until it was released for console because my computer couldn't handle it. I really do love Squad and I've had nothing bad to say at all up until now. That is what makes this so so sad. I'd expect this from EA or Activision, not Squad. I'm sure they have their reasons and that they aren't being intentionally negligent, but they are definitely lacking transparency. These bugs will be squashed sooner or later, I just wish we weren't left in the dark. This wait is killing me... It's like they invented virtual crack, got me hooked and now they are holding out on me. I might be starting to develop a twitch :blush:

Contacted Microsoft support for the second time now this morning. They were not even aware there was an issue with a game breaking bug in KSP. This is what we are dealing with here. Looks like nobody really cares about this other than the few people who the game is not working for. The support staff said they would contact the developer, but why hasn't this happened sooner?

I am really surprised that there has been seemingly no reaction to this broken release other than people in this forum asking questions. Any other game that would've released 2 months ago for $40 and been unplayable today would be getting some kind of bad press, somewhere. 

Everyone is way too quiet about this. Either it didn't sell as well on console as I think it did (it was listed as a bestseller in the store for about a month after release), or people just aren't delving too deep into the game on console. After all, this game requires you to actually do some learning, and some people just aren't into that. 

I just watched the credits on my KSP PC demo.  I think I know what went wrong here.  They don't have a "Functional Testing Supervisor".  Games that work have one of those.  I saw one listed during the PS4 Journey game credits.

On 05/08/2016 at 10:50 AM, The White Guardian said:

This is why I love KSP so much: if there's an issue, you bet there's a whole army of devs working on it in a matter of hours, while there are other games that take significantly longer.

Valve, I'm looking at you, every freaking update you release to TF2 breaks the game further. I mean, they even accidentally removed essential features such as the round timer once, and with the last update they've totally bricked the game: wait for half an hour to play a five minute game. GG.

That's why I'm so glad KSP is in good hands. Good luck, @SQUAD!

No dig at The White Guardian but i'm pretty sure this is all his fault :P note: posted on the 5th August. if we knew then what we know now...

So flying tiger posted in their fb page on 17 Aug that a patch was in final testing and would be released shortly, obviously this hasn't happened. Anyway yesterday they replied to someones pleads for a patch that 'the patch is still in testing, we had to make a better bridge than what currently existed between the two engine's' then the usual it'll be out soon stuff. What do you guys make of this? Seems like the patch is a loooong way off.

28 minutes ago, RW1984 said:

So flying tiger posted in their fb page on 17 Aug that a patch was in final testing and would be released shortly, obviously this hasn't happened. Anyway yesterday they replied to someones pleads for a patch that 'the patch is still in testing, we had to make a better bridge than what currently existed between the two engine's' then the usual it'll be out soon stuff. What do you guys make of this? Seems like the patch is a loooong way off.

I happen to be that guy lol. Nice to know that they replied within a day. Wish I could say the same for Squad.

Well just to clarify, I was the guy who posted an inquiry about 30 minutes before the guy that they directly replied to. I guess he seemed to be more important than me :blush:. Either way, at least somebody acknowledged us.

Edited by Homedawgian

21 minutes ago, Homedawgian said:

I happen to be that guy lol. Nice to know that they replied within a day. Wish I could say the same for Squad.

Well just to clarify, I was the guy who posted an inquiry about 30 minutes before the guy that they directly replied to. I guess he seemed to be more important than me :blush:. Either way, at least somebody acknowledged us.

Exactly, why couldn't squad be bothered to put this information in the dev notes? probably too busy writing poems. Just demonstrates a complete lack of respect for the console community.

I think Squad needs to step up to the plate and recall the game, issue refunds, fix the problem, and then release the game when it's ready. That probably won't happen, but in any other business that released a broken or defective product, that would be the norm. Squad just puts it's tail between it's legs and runs off. Wow. It seems Squad wants to point the finger at Flying Tiger and try to absolve themselves from any responsibility to fix the problem, but we really don't care who's fault it was. It is two months after release and the game is still unplayable for me. Give me a refund or fix the problem. It's getting old. 

5 minutes ago, RW1984 said:

probably too busy writing poems

That just made my day. Thank you for the laugh. 

Edited by chimpbone

Haha I love you guys. In any other game/community forum I would have just posted my angry rant, replied once or twice, then move on with my life. Yet, here we are, continuing our 2 month long rant, still not giving up, but saying that we are. At least we can know that no matter how many days/months/years/decades we have to wait, it will most likely be worth the wait. "I wish I knew how to quit you, Kerbal Space Program!"

(I'm using the phrase "worth the wait" VERY loosely.)

2 hours ago, Homedawgian said:

At least we can know that no matter how many days/months/years/decades we have to wait, it will most likely be worth the wait. "I wish I knew how to quit you, Kerbal Space Program!"

My save is called 'can't stay away'. 

At least we're honest with ourselves about our relationship with KSP... 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.