Does anyone actually know what RCS stands for?

Kozak

1 hour ago, volcanicshrimp said:

The AA (Automotive Association IIRC) is only 2 "A"s.

Also, don't forget batteries!

I was thinking of the American equivalent of AA, which they decided to call the American AA, but batteries is probably a better shout! 

I cant speak for other fields but some medics use acronyms and long words with patients and it just confuses them, makes them feel helpless and ignorant. This is wrong, a good communicator should be able to tailor their language to their audience. But this is a gripe for another thread and another day! 

When I submitted my dissertation years ago, and met with my committee the first time, one of my reviewers (not the lead instructor) who was a bit reluctant to be on the committee in the first place, gave me this long icey stare and said, "You REALLY should provide a glossary for all these acronyms you're using to refer to stuff."

When I wrote it up it was like 10 pages double spaced with one space between each definition! :P

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

On a more serious note, my company got bought out by a much larger company about a year ago, and everything is an acronym. TLA's everywhere, and not one of them is ever defined. I have taken to - when I come across a likely definition because someone slipped up and didn't use the acronym - slowly built up a list. But there are still now, a year later, things I use on a daily basis that I don't know what the acronym actually stands for.

I wish you luck on this task: I left EDS/HP after 13 years of service and despite very diligent and daily farming, I never completed my personal list of internal acronym definitions. Or TLAs for that matter...

I know there's likely been 400 other people saying the answer but I just feel like adding to the pile...

RCS stands for Reaction Control System and that generally controls the ACS (Attitude Control System) which allows you to maneuver your craft through rotations and translations. Rotations being pitch/yaw/roll and translation being to move your location within a 2D or 3D space.

This may help explain rotation mechanics...

2000px-Yaw_Axis_Corrected.svg.png

And maybe this too for spacecraft-

File:Mercury-spacecraft-control.png

Edited by ZooNamedGames

16 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Hilarious that this thread has reached two pages after being answered correctly in the first reply.

Never change, forum.

Well technically he didn't ask to define it, he only asked if people knew. So answering the unasked question correctly is just giving the OP data points for the asked question.

2 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Hilarious that this thread has reached two pages after being answered correctly in the first reply.

Never change, forum.

And since the majority of the posts are not related to the game anymore, why don't we just slide this thread on over to The Lounge. 

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Well technically he didn't ask to define it, he only asked if people knew. So answering the unasked question correctly is just giving the OP data points for the asked question.

1 hour ago, Alshain said:

Lol, so the correct answer was "yes".

.. to an increasingly accurate approximation.

Rick's Clapping Sound, just kidding Reaction Control System, i actually know some Moon hoax theorist that believes RCS thrusters are tiny puffer rockets that cannot instantly brake the CSM while moving at 1m/s or less. Wow.

Edited by NSEP

Reaction Control System or;

Relatively Cool Spaceship or;

Really Cute Spaniel.

But it totally should be Round Cabbage Syndrome. I laughed out loud (or should that be lol'd? :) ) at that one.

On 9/10/2016 at 5:33 AM, 5thHorseman said:

Though the forum underlining acronyms is a boon. I wish my company did that.

Where I work, they actually set up a website called Acronym Central.  It usually helps, except there are so many different departments that you might find several definitions for any particular acronym.

It doesn't help any that other locations around the country that have their own list of acronyms.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.