How do YOU think v1.2 will change the gameplay of ksp and how others think of it.

TheGuyNamedAlan

well, personally, i think it simply made ksp aLOT more confusing. but hey, that's what powers ksp players to go as far as they can! but seriously, that kerbalnet thingy will take ksp to a new level, it made it more real life more "hard" for ksp players to actually send interplanetary probes. 

Edited by TheGuyNamedAlan

It's a choice for gameplay balance. You need to balance mass (light probe vs heavy crew capsule) vs. capability (limited/non-functional probe vs. fully-capable crew capsule) vs. infrastructure (single craft vs. built-up network.

Better? Worse? I'll withhold judgement until everybody (else) hops on the pre-release and starts giving feedback.

i* don't think it'll change anything for anybody who doesn't care or doesn't want it. "Casual" players will rarely get far enough away from Kerbin with a probe for it to matter to them, and those who are capable of that and are still somehow "casual" players will know enough to know how to turn it off. The rest of us can turn it on or off to suit our whims.

*If you can capitalize "YOU" I can uncapitalize "I"

7 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

well, personally, i think it simply made ksp aLOT more confusing. but hey, that's what powers ksp players to go as far as they can! but seriously, that kerbalnet thingy will take ksp to a new level, it made it more real life more "hard" for ksp players to actually send interplanetary probes. 

Good.  One of the big problems with KSP is that there is no reason to send a manned mission anywhere.  This helps that problem, so maybe we can call it Kerbal Space Program again.

Edited by Alshain

13 hours ago, TheGuyNamedAlan said:

it made it more real life more "hard" for ksp players to actually send interplanetary probes. 

In the stock game sure.

For me though, I use RemoteTech, and like to send my craft unmanned first, to check they are up to the job. This basically means, I don't get to go interplanetary until I get to Tier 5 of the tech tree (which means "grind around Mun and Minmus for science"). Which I don't like.

It looks like the stock system will give me more control over this, and just upgrading my tracking station (which I do pretty early on) will allow me to go interplanetary with probes. So, hopefully, I will go interplanetary more!

I've thought about this a bit and I worry that adding the need to maintain comms might deter casual players from getting started.  It's an exciting new development for veteran players but I hope the release of 1.2 has an option to disable it when setting new game difficulty.

EDIT: well... I thought about it some more and maybe it's not so bad.  Like many things in KSP there's an efficient and "right' way to do things and an inefficient "noob" way to do them.  I could see experienced players building well thought out constellation of satellites and new players just throwing a ton of satellites into orbit randomly until there's enough to always have them covered.  Also it makes satellites have a purpose besides decoration/contracts.  I still would like to see more features that, rather than adding more complication to the gameplay, add tools that would really enhance the gameplay.  Stuff like docking port alignment indicator, RCS build aid type info in the VAB, TWR and DV calculation in the VAB, etc.

Edited by Chiron0224
thought about it some more

On 9/12/2016 at 3:11 AM, Alshain said:

Good.  One of the big problems with KSP is that there is no reason to send a manned mission anywhere.  This helps that problem, so maybe we can call it Kerbal Space Program again.

Eh?

I think you forgot that your first career flights have to be manned, that there are science experiments that can be only done by kerbals, and that they require no resources (stock). 

Edited by Guest

Just now, Aperture Science said:

Eh?

I think you forgot that your first career flights have to be manned, that there are science experiments that can be only done by kerbals, and that they require no resources (stock). 

No, your first spaceflight does not have to be manned.  You can easily get unmanned probes without leaving Kerbin's atmosphere.  Their science is low value and irrelevant when there is quite literally enough science in the stock game, not counting the lab, to complete the tech tree 23.5 times.

Just now, Alshain said:

No, your first spaceflight does not have to be manned.  You can easily get unmanned probes without leaving Kerbin's atmosphere.  Their science is low value and irrelevant when there is quite literally enough science in the stock game, not counting the lab, to complete the tech tree 23.5 times.

While it is possible, it's much more time-consuming and difficult to explore all of Kerbin with low-tier research nodes than sending kerbals to space, which in my opinion favors crewed exploration.

It's like setting up mining rigs at Kerbin to sell fuel for funds, it takes effort and is not very lucrative, but is still a way to get funds without leaving Kerbin. Does that mean that contracts/funds are irrelevant because you can get funds without leaving the planet?

1 minute ago, Aperture Science said:

While it is possible, it's much more time-consuming and difficult to explore all of Kerbin with low-tier research nodes than sending kerbals to space, which in my opinion favors crewed exploration.

It's like setting up mining rigs at Kerbin to sell fuel for funds, it takes effort and is not very lucrative, but is still a way to get funds without leaving Kerbin. Does that mean that contracts/funds are irrelevant because you can get funds without leaving the planet?

Nope, not really any more time consuming, and probes are cheap and low mass making your overall costs cheap.

48 minutes ago, Alshain said:

In career, the only command part you have at the start is the mk1 pod. You can't even walk around without "launching" just that pod.

(remember that the guy you replied to said "first career flights" not "first space flights.")

Edited by tater

@tater You do realize the launchpad is not outside Kerbin's atmosphere... right?  It's also not considered 'spaceflight'.

Even if you do send them into space for a few missions, the point of what I said was you don't need them once the time you unlock the second probe core.

Edited by Alshain

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

@tater You do realize the launchpad is not outside Kerbin's atmosphere... right?  It's also not considered 'spaceflight'.

Even if you do send them into space for a few missions, the point of what I said was you don't need them once the time you unlock the second probe core.

Look at what I said, and what I was referring to. You replied to the below quote with, "No, your first spaceflight does not have to be manned."

9 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Eh?

What he said here was correct, every KSP career starts with a series of required manned flights until you unlock a probe core.

2 hours ago, tater said:

Look at what I said, and what I was referring to. You replied to the below quote with, "No, your first spaceflight does not have to be manned."

What he said here was correct, every KSP career starts with a series of required manned flights until you unlock a probe core.

@tater You both have totally and completely missed the point.  I'm sorry but I can't dumb down the explanation any further.

You directly replied to  a statement that the first flights in KSP are required to be manned (which they are) with a statement that you can unlock numerous nodes without manned spaceflight, which is also true, but unrelated to the post you replied to. It's possible for you both to be right, even though you demonstrably misunderstood the post you replied to.

Please, "dumb down" your reply about spaceflight to a post about non-spaceflight for me. That or explain how one can advance career mode at all without out ever hitting "launch" in the VAB/SPH with a crewed pod, even if only once.

Just a friendly reminder, folks, let's keep it civil.  The topic here is "how will 1.2 change gameplay."  It's fine to share views, it's fine to respond to others' views, it's fine to disagree.

However, arguing about arguing is off-topic and doesn't advance the discussion for anyone.  Please try to stay focused on the topic, as laid out in the OP.  Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.