Personal Craft Repository

Apologies if this has already been suggested before.

What I'd really like to see is the option to push a successful design to a repository that's available across all of my save games, similar to the stock vessels option, but with only my own craft.

I realise that it's already possible to an extent by copying .craft files, but that's a bit clunky and I always end up having to look up where they're stored.

You could hack together a batchfile to do this:

1. Moves all craft files prefixed with "SAVE" to a repository directory.
  2. Creates symlinks for each file (mklink command) from repository to each save.
  3. Executes KSP64.exe

Granted this would be a lot easier if mklink was able to use wildcards, but there are ways around it.

This is making me nostalgic for DOS 3.2, things were simpler then. :(

Coming soon (hopefully very soon), there will be a mod for KerbalX.com, it will enable in-game uploading/updating to KerbalX and ability to fetch your own craft from the site into which ever save you're in (and whatever computer you're on).  Obviously if you don't want other people to see/download your craft then that's not the option for you.

Just now, katateochi said:

Coming soon (hopefully very soon), there will be a mod for KerbalX.com, it will enable in-game uploading/updating to KerbalX and ability to fetch your own craft from the site into which ever save you're in (and whatever computer you're on).  Obviously if you don't want other people to see/download your craft then that's not the option for you.

Wow really? damn man, that's awesome!

I like this idea.  Very handy for design and test in sandbox with revert etc allowed and then accessing from another save.

It would need some safeguards to prevent ships loading with parts that aren't unlocked yet though.

7 hours ago, katateochi said:

Kerbal CLoud :P

1 hour ago, pandaman said:

I like this idea.  Very handy for design and test in sandbox with revert etc allowed and then accessing from another save.

It would need some safeguards to prevent ships loading with parts that aren't unlocked yet though.

That was one of the scenarios I had in mind.

The safeguards you say about are already in place, you can see them when you've copied craft files that uses parts you haven't unlocked into a save.

Edited by Jimmidii

On 10/14/2016 at 2:03 AM, katateochi said:

Hype!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Columbia said:

I don't know if @katateochi's proposal works like Dropbox for KSP though.

It's like dropbox in that's it's a cloud based storage (sits on Amazon's EC2 if your interested, same place DB started out on) that you can access from any computer.  It's not like dropbox in that it doesn't give you a sync'd folder in your documents to access your cloud stored craft (you get a list of your uploaded craft in KSP), it's only for craft (not saves) and your craft on it will be visible to everyone else.  But if you don't mind other people being able to see and download your craft then in other respects you can use it just like a craft-specific dropbox.  

When you're in one KSP install or save you can upload a craft and then switch to another install or save on any computer, sign in and you'll be able to fetch that craft into the game.  It doesn't automatically sync craft between saves/installs because I think that would be more annoying than helpful, but you can open a list of your uploaded craft and click download on the ones you want and they'll get added to the appropriate folder in that save. On a new save (ie one that doesn't yet have any craft) it will ask if you want to fetch all your craft for the current KSP version and if you say yes it will fetch all your uploaded craft that where made in the same KSP version, or you can cherry pick the ones you want.

@Majorjim!, @luizopiloto, @BT Industries

The mod is now released!

On 13/10/2016 at 11:10 PM, luizopiloto said:

Kerbal CLoud

I used "put your craft in the cloud" as a tag line for KX at one point and now I've gone with this as the icon for the mod. kxmod_icon_large_up.png

Edited by katateochi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.