Mars Series

Atlas2342

7 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

Watched the first two episodes. It's okay, but PREPARE FOR A RANT! 

I warned you... 

Hide contents

Okay, so the first nitpick I have with it is at the beginning of the first episode. You know how the RCS is broken and they are entering the atmosphere? Hey, geniuses, there's something called ENGINE GIMBALLING! It'll only waste a little fuel to turn the ship around (and you probably packed extra fuel anyway). Also, why on Earth in the solar system would you not be properly oriented LONG before reentry? They do that so that this exact sort of thing does not happen! 

The guy's injury: G-Forces do not go from microgravity to >1 G in LESS THAN 30 SECONDS! The G-Forces would have actually been at ~0.5 G when he fell. Falling from ~10 feet in ~0.5 G is like falling from 5 feet in 1 G. Painful, but not in any way fatal. Also, at the end of the second episode, they said his spleen was damaged and they took it out? A: He didn't even fall on his spleen, and B: Goodbye, immune system! I also noticed when they were operating on him, THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY ANESTHETIC! How painful, he's having surgery and he's not even out of it! 

Nitpick 3: Wait, you only have 100 hours of breathable air left in the ship? Have you ever heard of a CO2 scrubber? Speaking of which, how did you breathe for 7 months in the interplanetary cruise without a scrubber? 

Nitpick 4: The medic can't treat him without the equipment at the workshop? Okay, that is TERRIBLE planning. Bring some medical equipment and an operating table on the ship! What would you have done if one of the crew had gotten appendicitis during the 7-month cruise? 

Nitpick 5: Please, no flashbacks to the commander's childhood! That trope is OVERUSED! 

You don't actually need a scrubber. It's just a much better way to go about things.

Looking at the series being announced, I was pretty excited about another space related high quality series hitting our screens. I expected a well produced series, something like Cosmos, though more focussed on modern day Mars and rocketry. Sadly, I was hugely disappointed. Instead of a quality series with a lot of science content, we get a rickety action show with here and there a snippet of interesting interviews. There is very little actual content and what it there, is a lot more cheap Hollywood action movie, what attempts to be tear-jerky story lines that have nothing to do with space travel and not a lot of documentary or what could be.

I think I will skip this one.

16 hours ago, KAL 9000 said:

And thus, our hopes slip away once more... The Martian was probably the only movie of its kind.

I liked the Martian, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny, either. No way that the rovers do t have a UHF antenna to talk to pretty much every mars orbiting satellite. The hab would have one as well. That's aside from the whole storm nonsense (he should have used a collapsing lava tube, or water ice relate sink hole, instead.

It's OKAY. I feel like they are having trouble trying to fit everything into a 1 hour format. Maybe after the whole thing is out, watching it in a sitting or two will be more bearable. Right now it's like they want some science and some interviews and some character development, but never give enough time to either one, so nothing really gets expanded upon.

I don't mind some character drama, as I think it's a good way of exploring the human element in a mission like this, and the effects these situations would have on the people there and back home. I like the look of the ship/Mars/spacesuits. I was honestly a little sad when the

Spoiler

commander was actually dead. At first I was mad because he was somehow alive and walking around/out of the habitat like it's nothing, but the reality was still upsetting.

I don't like how barren mission control feels. One of the biggest undertakings in human history, and that place is like a business on the weekend with a skeleton crew.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should the commander really have been holding that Martian rock with his bare hands? Would radiation not be a problem?

I think it will improve a little each episode though, and I like Mars so I'll keep watching. I feel like if it wants to be a mini-series with drama, interviews, and scientific education, it should be at least an hour and a half long, and focus more on the science.

I'm part French (most American mutts probably are), but I have trouble imagining ESA being the lead agency in a 2033 Mars effort. Just from a "realism" standpoint. If it's a private venture, there are possibly 2 companies involved, one of which is all-in for Mars, the other is not focused on Mars. Both are US companies. If governments are involved---then the country writing the big checks is going to be the boss of the show. It strains credibility that it would be any agency but NASA. Heck, pick another agency, and I'd put China or Russia ahead of ESA.

BTW, if you want to go with the surrender nonsense, read some history, instead. Read about the Battle of the Frontiers in WW1 in the first days of the war. The French took nearly 330,000 casualties in the first month of ww1 in that battle. The deadliest day in US military history was at Antietam, and it was 23,000 casualties---and that's both sides counting (all Americans). In the Battle of the Ardennes, which was just 3 days of the "Battle of the Frontiers," the French lost that many killed, most all of them on the first day (casualties includes wounded, after all).  People attacking French valor... have no idea what they are talking about.

Edited by tater

7 minutes ago, tater said:

I'm part French (most American mutts probably are), but I have trouble imagining ESA being the lead agency in a 2033 Mars effort. Just from a "realism" standpoint. If it's a private venture, there are possibly 2 companies involved, one of which is all-in for Mars, the other is not focused on Mars. Both are US companies. If governments are involved---then the country writing the big checks is going to be the boss of the show. It strains credibility that it would be any agency but NASA. Heck, pick another agency, and I'd put China or Russia ahead of ESA.

BTW, if you want to go with the surrender nonsense, read some history, instead. Read about the Battle of the Frontiers in WW1 in the first days of the war. The French took nearly 330,000 casualties in the first month of ww1 in that battle. The deadliest day in US military history was at Antietam, and it was 23,000 casualties---and that's both sides counting (all Americans). In the Battle of the Ardennes, which was just 3 days of the "Battle of the Frontiers," the French lost that many killed, most all of them on the first day (casualties includes wounded, after all).  People attacking French valor... have no idea what they are talking about.

Hey man, just a joke, take it easy. I mean, I am German, so I can always tell you about the 2ND World War and how they did then.

So I watched episode 2...

On 25/11/2016 at 5:15 PM, KAL 9000 said:

I also noticed when they were operating on him, THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY ANESTHETIC! How painful, he's having surgery and he's not even out of it!

During the operation he's shown hooked up to some kind of drip, it's possible it's some kind of morphine solution or somesuch.

On 27/11/2016 at 7:49 AM, Josh IN SPACE said:

I don't like how barren mission control feels. One of the biggest undertakings in human history, and that place is like a business on the weekend with a skeleton crew.

So far, part of me has been wondering why mission control is so populated.  They don't actually seem to have any active involvement at all, except for the occasional 'lets tell mission control we're doing x' bits from the Mars team, which seems almost a moot point considering they seem to be getting (when the satellites are aligned) constant audio from the mission.

On 27/11/2016 at 7:49 AM, Josh IN SPACE said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but should the commander really have been holding that Martian rock with his bare hands? Would radiation not be a problem?

I was under the impression that the radiation issues on Mars relate to the thin atmosphere not being able to block incoming cosmic rays, not that the ground itself is radioactive.

Edited by pxi

On 18.11.2016 at 8:05 AM, tater said:

Why not put however many crew it can carry, plus some supplies if needed, and have the rest live in the vehicle they landed in

Spoiler

"What do you mean? You go to the mine, and I stay here waiting for your rover?"

hqdefault.jpg

On 18.11.2016 at 8:05 AM, tater said:

So they have the landing issue that puts them 75km from any pre-landed facility

They would be happy that they don't need to land on a floating platform.
(Though, maybe it was not the first attempt).

On 25.11.2016 at 4:24 AM, Veeltch said:

-Someone will die on this planet!

-But you don't know that! Everything is good so far and we haven't even went there yet!

Mutually exclusive theses, If everything is good, it's absolutely clear that somebody will survive. Maybe.

(Post-apocalypse version: if a company of main heroes comes into a beautiful, peaceful town, its citizens are doomed.)

On 25.11.2016 at 8:15 PM, KAL 9000 said:

ENGINE GIMBALLING! It'll only waste a little fuel to turn the ship around

If they have RCS engines, then gimbals were presumed too weak to maneuver, otherwise there wouldn't be RCS.

On 25.11.2016 at 8:15 PM, KAL 9000 said:

THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM ANY ANESTHETIC!

A firmly fixed patient doesn't need anesthetics.

well well well....

i have to say, its a pretty decent show, and i like the narative (plus they say the IMSF HQ is in austria wich somewhat appeals to my leftover patriotism :wink:) but some points are really bugging me and i cant imagine occuring them on a real mission

but a couple of questions came to my mind while watching:

Spoiler

why dont you testfire your RCS before you start athmospheric entry? you know? checking if the systems that prevent you from slamming into the ground like a [snip] meteorite are actually working?
what were these guys doiung on the seven month journey? 
furthermore, shouldnt be something as crucial as this have some sort of redundancy?
and also didnt they have to make any course adjustments or in any other way change the orientation of the ship from launch to mars?

the commanders injury, well that is a special thing, as i read above, the gravity would not really cause that much of an injury, but plot device, i grant them that, but then comes the ABSOLUTE IDIOCY, the guy refuses full medical examination after that? EVEN AS HE STARTS COUGHUNG BLOOD?!

did he miss that memo that draging his half dead ass around the surface also reduces the survival chances of his crewmates? (wich it did)

why only send up one rover? again, redundancy?

they keep emphasising that the commander lost a lot of blood through the injury and then trough the surgery, and correct me if i am wrong here, but wouldnt it make sense to have either equip all medical facilities ( base camp and workshop) with a supply of blood bags for the crew or have an universal donor among the crew just in case? 

they have to rely on drones in order to find a fitting spot for their dome, but then get lucky in finding one from orbit, in that case they could have done that before and program some of the hottest candidates into the drones so they dont waste precious time?

Edited by monstah

1 minute ago, HoloYolo said:

Yes, agreed. If I ever need an amputation, don't bother to knock me out, just get a butcher knife and hold me tight.

dont forget to use a rusty one, good exercise for the immune system :D

Edited by Halfdan

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.