What are fun things you can do in KSP?

Program Kerbal Space

I want to know some fun stuff to do in KSP so I can make this into a list (I will give credit). Also try to avoid saying ideas that were already mentioned. I would like comments that are great ideas, and nothing to boring like the kraken glitch. I will put a list here on who got great ideas. Oh and since KSP gets boring sometimes i'll accept like putting a kerbal on the tip of your rocket...:P

Here's the list

Before I start I would like to thank  @1101, @DrunkenKerbalnaut, @James Kerman, @Freshmeat, @Allocthonous, @Sharpy, @Veeltch, @Magzimum for their ideas! NOTE: I will add more.

Here's the list:

@1101: Build shuttles (not a dreamchaser style, or any other spaceplane on a rocket, an actual STS style one.).

@DrunkenKerbalnaut

1) Are you competitive? Consider doing something nearly pointless, yet moderately challenging (ie.: VTOL/Rover that can land on VAB). Make a video of it, and don't be shy about including bloopers. Glorious failure is glorious success. Then challenge others to do better. 

2) Like complexity? Send all 4 Orange Suit Kerbals to Jool system aboard a mothership that has 4 landers attached. Each kerbal picks a moon, lands, and returns. 

3) Or maybe you wanna stay close to home? Design a rocket that can achieve orbit, and then perform a powered landing without chutes. See how light you can get it, but with room for a kerbal. Then make it SSTO

4) Roadtrip, maybe? Consider the Elcano Challenge. See you in a month. 

5) Need some privacy? Using ore containers to counteract buoyancy, design and deploy an underwater base just east of KSC. Bonus points for elevator to the surface. 

6) History Buff? There's a pretty wide range of interesting real-life rockets and missions you can recreate. The venerable Apollo missions. The ill-fated N-1 launches. Sputnik. Curiosity. Lunokhod. MIR. ISS....

7) Robot fan? Check out Infernal Robotics (mod), and take a whack at your own AT-ST, ala Star Wars. Or for funsies, Johnny No. 5 from short circuit. 

8) Like to watch the world burn? Design and deploy a fleet of ballistic missile trucks to the foothills west of KSC, then see if you can destroy every structure. Bonus points if the missiles are piloted by Kerbals. Banzai!

@James Kerman: Have you been sightseeing? Get a photo of Jeb or Val at every anomaly.

@Freshmeat: Try reading the mission reports and the challenges subforums. They have given me plenty of inspiration.

@Allocthonous:Slap some aero surfaces on a Mk0 fuel tank, a juno jet engine, an OKTO probe core, and an air intake. Strap the whole thing onto a wheeled carriage using a hardpoint. Once you get up to speed, blow the hardpoint and pull up until you're pointed west, and head for the mountains. Practice nap-of-the-earth flying. It's a great way to kill half an hour or so.

Docking exercises are always fun, too. Some of the most fun I've had in KSP has been assembling space stations using the docking system

@Sharpy:Install KIS and OSE workshop (but NO Extraplanetary Launchpad!)

Send a very bare-bones workshop rig to Duna, along with 3 kerbals, one of each specialization; land it on parachutes - no tanks, no engines, just some solar panels, one Workshop, one processor (ore->PartKits), PartKits container, and one large KIS container. Land it. Then KSC goes quiet. The kerbals must return to Kerbin all on their own, building the rocket from scratch, using KIS.

Too easy? Replace Duna with Eve.

@Veeltch:Fly kerbals with their jetpacks on the Mun then watch them ragdoll, bounce and slide all over the place.

@Magzimum:

Tired of long and complicated missions?

Build a little agile stunt plane, and fly around the KSC. If you put the Kerbal in a command seat, his terrified face will put a smile on yours. Bonus points  if you manage to fly below the bridge in the R&D center (without crashing, obviously)...

Build a glider (plane with no engines). Put your Kerbal in it, strap 1 or 2 Fleas (or Hammers) onto it for initial speed, launch, decouple the Fleas, and try to glide to the Island Runway.

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

If you're bored and always getting to space on a traditional rocket....

Build shuttles (not a dreamchaser style, or any other spaceplane on a rocket, an actual STS style one.).  I got way more satisfying, high part count, disastrous flights doing that.  Also trying to build big spaceplanes with Interstellar engines on them.

I even got some of them into orbit.

1) Are you competitive? Consider doing something nearly pointless, yet moderately challenging (ie.: VTOL/Rover that can land on VAB). Make a video of it, and don't be shy about including bloopers. Glorious failure is glorious success. Then challenge others to do better. 

2) Like complexity? Send all 4 Orange Suit Kerbals to Jool system aboard a mothership that has 4 landers attached. Each kerbal picks a moon, lands, and returns. 

3) Or maybe you wanna stay close to home? Design a rocket that can achieve orbit, and then perform a powered landing without chutes. See how light you can get it, but with room for a kerbal. Then make it SSTO

4) Roadtrip, maybe? Consider the Elcano Challenge. See you in a month. 

5) Need some privacy? Using ore containers to counteract buoyancy, design and deploy an underwater base just east of KSC. Bonus points for elevator to the surface. 

6) History Buff? There's a pretty wide range of interesting real-life rockets and missions you can recreate. The venerable Apollo missions. The ill-fated N-1 launches. Sputnik. Curiosity. Lunokhod. MIR. ISS....

7) Robot fan? Check out Infernal Robotics (mod), and take a whack at your own AT-ST, ala Star Wars. Or for funsies, Johnny No. 5 from short circuit. 

8) Like to watch the world burn? Design and deploy a fleet of ballistic missile trucks to the foothills west of KSC, then see if you can destroy every structure. Bonus points if the missiles are piloted by Kerbals. Banzai!

Squad has placed easter eggs on the various planets and moons (like the monolith north east of the runway, the Neil Armstrong Memorial on the Mun, the Giant Kerbal face on Duna, ect.).  I did a tour of these back in 1.05 - actually I am going to take my own advice and do it again as there are new easter eggs in 1.2.

1 minute ago, James Kerman said:

Squad has placed easter eggs on the various planets and moons (like the monolith north east of the runway, the Neil Armstrong Memorial on the Mun, the Giant Kerbal face on Duna, ect.).  I did a tour of these back in 1.05 - actually I am going to take my own advice and do it again as there are new easter eggs in 1.2.

I thought u meant overwrite the textures of the anomaly with Jeb or Val

Before I start I would like to thank  @1101, @DrunkenKerbalnaut, @James Kerman, @Freshmeat, @Allocthonous for their ideas! NOTE: I will add more.

Here's the list:

@1101: Build shuttles (not a dreamchaser style, or any other spaceplane on a rocket, an actual STS style one.).

@DrunkenKerbalnaut

1) Are you competitive? Consider doing something nearly pointless, yet moderately challenging (ie.: VTOL/Rover that can land on VAB). Make a video of it, and don't be shy about including bloopers. Glorious failure is glorious success. Then challenge others to do better. 

2) Like complexity? Send all 4 Orange Suit Kerbals to Jool system aboard a mothership that has 4 landers attached. Each kerbal picks a moon, lands, and returns. 

3) Or maybe you wanna stay close to home? Design a rocket that can achieve orbit, and then perform a powered landing without chutes. See how light you can get it, but with room for a kerbal. Then make it SSTO

4) Roadtrip, maybe? Consider the Elcano Challenge. See you in a month. 

5) Need some privacy? Using ore containers to counteract buoyancy, design and deploy an underwater base just east of KSC. Bonus points for elevator to the surface. 

6) History Buff? There's a pretty wide range of interesting real-life rockets and missions you can recreate. The venerable Apollo missions. The ill-fated N-1 launches. Sputnik. Curiosity. Lunokhod. MIR. ISS....

7) Robot fan? Check out Infernal Robotics (mod), and take a whack at your own AT-ST, ala Star Wars. Or for funsies, Johnny No. 5 from short circuit. 

8) Like to watch the world burn? Design and deploy a fleet of ballistic missile trucks to the foothills west of KSC, then see if you can destroy every structure. Bonus points if the missiles are piloted by Kerbals. Banzai!

@James Kerman: Have you been sightseeing? Get a photo of Jeb or Val at every anomaly.

@Freshmeat: Try reading the mission reports and the challenges subforums. They have given me plenty of inspiration.

@Allocthonous:

Slap some aero surfaces on a Mk0 fuel tank, a juno jet engine, an OKTO probe core, and an air intake. Strap the whole thing onto a wheeled carriage using a hardpoint. Once you get up to speed, blow the hardpoint and pull up until you're pointed west, and head for the mountains. Practice nap-of-the-earth flying. It's a great way to kill half an hour or so.

Docking exercises are always fun, too. Some of the most fun I've had in KSP has been assembling space stations using the docking system

Edited by Program Kerbal Space

Slap some aero surfaces on a Mk0 fuel tank, a juno jet engine, an OKTO probe core, and an air intake. Strap the whole thing onto a wheeled carriage using a hardpoint. Once you get up to speed, blow the hardpoint and pull up until you're pointed west, and head for the mountains. Practice nap-of-the-earth flying. It's a great way to kill half an hour or so.

Docking exercises are always fun, too. Some of the most fun I've had in KSP has been assembling space stations using the docking system.

Mods.

Install planet mods. As many planets as you can. Then visit them all, put bases there, get ALL the science, and go back to Kerbin.

Also, parts mods. If you like aesthetics, installing new spacecraft components is always great. Make an entire infrastructure of great-looking spacecraft designs that are full of new and interesting parts.

Install KIS and OSE workshop (but NO Extraplanetary Launchpad!)

Send a very bare-bones workshop rig to Duna, along with 3 kerbals, one of each specialization; land it on parachutes - no tanks, no engines, just some solar panels, one Workshop, one processor (ore->PartKits), PartKits container, and one large KIS container. Land it. Then KSC goes quiet. The kerbals must return to Kerbin all on their own, building the rocket from scratch, using KIS.

Too easy? Replace Duna with Eve.

Edited by Sharpy

Tired of long and complicated missions?

• Build a little agile stunt plane, and fly around the KSC. If you put the Kerbal in a command seat, his terrified face will put a smile on yours. Bonus points  if you manage to fly below the bridge in the R&D center (without crashing, obviously)...
  • Build a glider (plane with no engines). Put your Kerbal in it, strap 1 or 2 Fleas (or Hammers) onto it for initial speed, launch, decouple the Fleas, and try to glide to the Island Runway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.