[INDEV]-[1.4.3] - To Boldly Go | An external application designed to procedurally generate an entire galaxy for KSP.

daniel l.

Is it compatible with other Kopernicus mods like Outer Planets Mod? It doesn't change the default system right? I'd love a random 'Verse' cluster of stars to explore. On the realism note, I think a .25 to 1 Ly is reasonable for KSP, it would make good use of the Alcubierre Drive mods available (and yes you can time-warp warp-drives, shhhhhhh...)

Edit: Actually, on the realism note for stock KSP should be 0.166 Ly to 1 Ly as the Kerbol system is 1/6th the size of ours and thus distances should be 1/6th, thus still adding the challenges of KSP but not the long boring of reality,

Edited by Eskandare

53 minutes ago, Eskandare said:

Is it compatible with other Kopernicus mods like Outer Planets Mod? It doesn't change the default system right? I'd love a random 'Verse' cluster of stars to explore. On the realism note, I think a .25 to 1 Ly is reasonable for KSP, it would make good use of the Alcubierre Drive mods available (and yes you can time-warp warp-drives, shhhhhhh...)

Edit: Actually, on the realism note for stock KSP should be 0.166 Ly to 1 Ly as the Kerbol system is 1/6th the size of ours and thus distances should be 1/6th, thus still adding the challenges of KSP but not the long boring of reality,

You can probably get OPM working easily. Just go into the config files an replace "referenceBody = Sun" with "referenceBody = Kerbol" then just go into the 'Galaxy.cfg" file for TBG and increase the sun's SOI a bit. That should do the trick :wink:

guys i have this weird problem, the .exe file doesnt create a config file in the mod folder. i think i have the rest installed correctly, extracted the tbg mod into the gamedate folder of ksp. then launched the .exe file, then said yes (y) to planets, gave all the stars the value 10, and then pressed spacebar to close the program. for some reason it doesnt create the config file named 'galaxy', at first i thought it was just me being naive and stuff, so i launched ksp to see if it worked anyhow, but nope, no galaxy, just the stock solar system. now i have gone through the program ~10 times, every time pressing a different button to exit (in case i accidentally terminated the program) or different input for all the values, but nothing changes. 

i'm a real noob with this, i don't even know where to find the logs so you guys can help me. i turned notifications for this thread on so please reply asap because this is driving me mad.

On 12/24/2016 at 3:33 AM, daniel l. said:

What would you all say. If i told you that my co-developer @User.txt is developing wormholes? And that they may be the star of the future 0.3 or 0.4 releases?

Dude, wormholes would be seriously awesome! You and @User.txt might look into the Asimovian interpretation of wormholes: a huge network of wormholes that spans the galaxy, and there are some systems that randomly are "wormhole junctions" that have more than one wormhole per system. And the wormholes are of differing size. Big wormholes fit large ships, but only last for a few thousand years. Small wormholes fit smaller ships, but can last for milions. Dying wormholes spit out small baby wormholes that are very unstable and may only last from a few days to a year or two. Wormhole mouths have varying geometry, ranging from circular (most common) to square (slightly less common) to octagonal (slightly less common) to triangular (very rare) to something that looks like a very uneven star (even rarer). The catch on Asimovian wormholes is that you have to be very precise as to where you go through. You must go through the exact center, or else risk your ship being torn apart by the forces holding the wormholes up. So you could make it have a circle that the ship has to be in or what ever is outside of it explodes. Like the Alcubierre Warp drive shield. But with varying sizes.

18 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Maybe... I dunno. TBG is not a realism oriented mod. My main intentions are to produce a gameplay oriented universe. Too much realism is boring. For example, Engine trails in a vacuum? Those don't really exist. KSP just puts them there for fun.

yeah I agree. You should try to make the wormholes really pretty! Imagine the screenshots! Man I love this mod! Its super awesome already! Keep up the stunning work!

@Remco Aarden sorry I can't help you. :( 

18 hours ago, daniel l. said:

I only meant the flames. Flames don't exist in a vacuum.

They also have flames, why wouldn't they? Rockets don't just move by magic, they're moved by throwing mass away basicly

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Remco Aarden Open your GameData folder and press the PrintScreen key, then open Paint and paste the captured image into it. But the main thing devs want when looking into misbehavior of mods is ksp.log, right next to ksp.exe

Actually, either the output_log.txt or the Player.log, depending on the os

5 hours ago, electricpants said:

Ok, the thrust is being pushed out, but since flames can't exist in a vacuum, you'd see nothing.

Not quite true. You see, if the rockets cumbustion was always perfect, that would be sorta true. but as it is in a vacuum, there are tons of glowing hot particles that come out the nozzle, much like RealPlume shows it. So you do actually see something that looks like flames, but isn't really.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

It needs Kopernicus, Windows, and maybe run-as-admin for the galaxy generator.

Thank you, kept running into this issue where my vanilla star system is blank, no buildings or terrain. Everything's working now lol just had to reload the save. Just a bit zoomed out and further back from the POV i'm use to. 

On 12/18/2016 at 0:05 AM, daniel l. said:

You can try compiling the source code yourself using the mac version of QB64.

This is really pretty intriguing. I took a quick look at your code up on the pastebin and it seems like it'd be pretty straight forward to make a python script that would do the same thing (minus the gui). I might take a stab at it if I get some time in the coming week. Then you could have a headless way to generate things. 

Did a quick search of the thread for "command center" related bugs and didn't see anything, so I'm posting. Sorry if this is a bug duplicate.

When I start the game up with the galaxy.cfg provided, I don't see the command center at all.

BrRadIcJ2urP2OYRmdw2cLD1_DnQbe3maygn827w

I can go into the tracking station, space plane hanger, etc fine. Just no initial view of the command center.

2 minutes ago, seanth said:

Did a quick search of the thread for "command center" related bugs and didn't see anything, so I'm posting. Sorry if this is a bug duplicate.

When I start the game up with the galaxy.cfg provided, I don't see the command center at all.

BrRadIcJ2urP2OYRmdw2cLD1_DnQbe3maygn827w

I can go into the tracking station, space plane hanger, etc fine. Just no initial view of the command center.

I know :) It's an unavoidable glitch that happens when Kerbin is reparented. Just use the side buttons :wink:

23 minutes ago, seanth said:

This is really pretty intriguing. I took a quick look at your code up on the pastebin and it seems like it'd be pretty straight forward to make a python script that would do the same thing (minus the gui). I might take a stab at it if I get some time in the coming week. Then you could have a headless way to generate things. 

That would be great. Though as i know nothing of python it would essentially put me out of business :P 

Guys I found an incompatibility. This may be obvious to KSP veterans, but not to noobs. TBG and GPP argue over the stock solar system. Only Kerbin's replacement remains in the stock system! @JadeOfMaar @daniel l. You will probably want to mention that in the mod page, especially daniel l. 

Thanks guys! 

Oh, JadeOfMaar, we wanted to show you this at Snappy's