BDAc Challenges: GDJ's Top Gun Extreme Tournament

GDJ

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

The combat is started and controlled from the BDA setting menu, all that is required is that brakes are on, throttle at zero and engine running and the craft are either marked team A or B as appropriate..  Once started it's in the hands of the gods :)

i mean, if he hits for all planes space bar first, you could design "one" plane that is actually two planes (decoupler, double cockpits...)

4 hours ago, tsoj said:

i mean, if he hits for all planes space bar first, you could design "one" plane that is actually two planes (decoupler, double cockpits...)

That may count as two submissions per applicant, eventho' it started as one craft. In the planned 3 vs 3 battle that design would become a 3 vs 6 battle which, in my opinion, is unsportsmanlike. A similar event would be using missiles in this competition. One plane can carry, say, 4 missiles and leave the ground as one plane, but once the missiles are launched they act like their own plane and fly autonomously as a separate craft.

I'm afraid a craft like this would be disqualified for this challenge.

Edited by GDJ

11 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

I present my entry into this challenge!

Introducing the Shrike Mk. Ib - A multirole fighter based off my earlier Mosquito variants, but with less parts and only 1 30mm cannon instead of 2.

https://kerbalx.com/Bob_Saget54/SAI-Shrike-Mk-Ib

ROOjsf4.png

This craft is easily capable of handling up to >30 G forces without ripping the wings, and while it may seem a bit slow, don't let that fool you into thinking it's an easy opponent

Nice, but while the wings won't rip, the pilot will go unconscious from those forces.

Just had this happen after both planes ran out of ammo and one ran out of fuel. AI dead-stick landed on the runway undamaged. I mean, what are the odds?

fKcns20.png

A bit of a peculiarity with the AI settings is that aggressive settings usually aren't very aggressive vs. less-aggressive settings except when they need to be. Thus, a fast plane with good turning and aggressive settings can stay permanently on the tail of a fast plane with good turning and conservative settings. This has some interesting implications of B&Zers vs. turnfighters vs. flying death guns.

Edited by Pds314

Finished the primary design of my entry, called Prototype Mk1 as of now. It's insanely maneuverable at any speed, and has a really powerful primary weapon... *wink wink*

Haven't tried attacking real targets yet, just flight testing and some basic ajustments, but so far it destroyed all of the smaller structures around KSC with it's armament of x4 Brownings, x2 30mm cannons and x1 105mm nose-mounted Howitzer!

Also can take a roughing up, considering I lost my tail countless times doing low flyby's and smacking my tail boom and sometimes an engine and winglet, or rudder, or the time it lost a wing (it crashed later, but flew for a little bit just fine).

Pics:

xumSEeu.png5QbAFdv.png

8 hours ago, Bob_Saget54 said:

The sad thing is that it probably won't get fast enough for those forces to get too extreme ;.;

This is true. Most of my battles have been taking place in the 150-300 m/s range at 8000 meters, with the AI occasionally pulling evasive maneuvers and slowing down to almost nothing or getting into a chase. Sometimes I've seen up to about 550 m/s, but considering both planes involved can go 800+ m/s at that altitude, they are not at top speed in a dogfight. Basically, if your plane is capable of doing evasive maneuvers and such, 250-ish m/s high-altitude turnfighting seems to be pretty normal.

I can adjust the AI settings or CoM to encourage supersonic flight, but the problem is that nimble supermaneuverable planes have no trouble keeping up. Only good way to stay supersonic is to have your plane out-accelerate the other at transonic and above, which means you need Whiplash or RAPIER engines.

Edited by Pds314

14 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Nice, but while the wings won't rip, the pilot will go unconscious from those forces.

Well, going unconscious isn't an issue with this tournament, but Kerbal death due to G forces is. Unless the Pilots die due to G forces I'm not concerned. However G forces on the plane I'm concerned with, and if the plane does self destruct due to overloading then that plane is lost.

2 hours ago, Pine said:

Finished the primary design of my entry, called Prototype Mk1 as of now. It's insanely maneuverable at any speed, and has a really powerful primary weapon... *wink wink*

Haven't tried attacking real targets yet, just flight testing and some basic ajustments, but so far it destroyed all of the smaller structures around KSC with it's armament of x4 Brownings, x2 30mm cannons and x1 105mm nose-mounted Howitzer!

Also can take a roughing up, considering I lost my tail countless times doing low flyby's and smacking my tail boom and sometimes an engine and winglet, or rudder, or the time it lost a wing (it crashed later, but flew for a little bit just fine).

Pics:

xumSEeu.png5QbAFdv.png

Remember that the howitzer must be set to fixed forward position, no swivel.

Edited by Pds314

1 minute ago, Pds314 said:

Remember that the howitzer must be set not to fixed forward.

Yes, thank you Pds314.

I'll refer everybody again that all rotatable turrets can be used in this tournament, but they have to be locked in the forward configuration and the pitch/yaw adjustments must be zero'd out.

16 minutes ago, Pine said:

The actual craft will be properly set up, don't worry!

I'm not worried. I just have to occasionally put out reminders to everybody on specific rules. Not aimed at you.

1 hour ago, Pine said:

@Pds314 @GDJ I made sure to set all turrets to me stuck pointing forwards, it's just that in the images I was having some fun with the movable cannon. The actual craft will be properly set up, don't worry!

I will bring to your attention that having multiple types of weaponry on your craft is a waste as the AI can only fire one type at a time

On another note, I have decided to leave the Platypus as is for the competition

Another thing that I have just discovered ....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AI Pilot is unable to use Rapiers in Air Breathing mode if landed ....

The craft will not take off since the AI pilot is trying to use the closed loop mode like it uses the afterburners on a Panther engine ... if the craft is landed or below it's set cruise/combat speed in flight, then it will switch to the more powerful mode of the engine which in this case is closed loop mode

For atmospheric AI competitions, this precludes a competitor from using the Rapier unless said competitor adds Oxidizer to account for this

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Git issue has been opened to address this although it is doubtful that there will be a fix before battle commences

Edited by DoctorDavinci

22 minutes ago, drtricky said:

@GDJ How much G force does it take to kill a kerbal in KSP?

I don't know. I think it's 15+ over a long period of time (probably far longer than a plane can do).

But a plane can be ripped apart very quickly (usually at around 35 to 50 G's). I've done that many times.

Edited by GDJ

Here is my submission, the X-23 Horsefly. A Bear turboprop up front and an off centered panther jet in the rear. Seems to work better than I expected and it turns out to be a fun little burner. Landing is a bit tricky with a small wheelbase, but it's very easy to roll off the ramp to get placed for the competition. Nobody wants to be on the land anyways, it's over rated.

https://kerbalx.com/ruinzv2/X-23-Horsefly

12 minutes ago, crashsolo36 said:

Hey Guys i love the challenge but i'm having an issue with the wing MOD, would it be ok if i use  B9 Procedural Wings. I under stand this MOD and i'm very good at making planes with it.. If not i could just go fully stock.

Unfortunately B9 Procedural Wings is not allowed for the current competition ... the mods listed in the OP of this thread are the mods allowed for the current challenge

All mods being used have been tested on various systems to be sure they play nicely with each other ... B9 wasn't playing nice with the others

Edited by DoctorDavinci

24 minutes ago, crashsolo36 said:

Hey Guys i love the challenge but i'm having an issue with the wing MOD, would it be ok if i use  B9 Procedural Wings. I under stand this MOD and i'm very good at making planes with it.. If not i could just go fully stock.

I sympathize with your situation but unfortunately B9 wings don't work for my system for unknown reasons. The mods I listed (as well as stock KSP parts) work 100% on my system, and I'm going to be hosting the matches (perhaps with one exception for my plane). I already know that Procedural Parts flag a incompatibility alert when booting up but so far they work just fine (false flag alert). Procedural Wings work rather well.

It's your call on what parts you want to use of course but with SQUAD and the mentioned allowed mods one can probably build whatever they feel like.

My original plane was using B9 too. Didn't realize that wasn't the one you meant until I went to go submit a couple days ago then I had to go back to the drawing board lol. Gotta admit, this procedural wings mod has a horrible interface (Or lack there of,) but they work and don't look bad.

I am currently running some battle tests with my upgraded prototype, now armed with x5 Fixed 105mm Howitzers, firing at a constant 91 RPM...

CyS-sUPWQAERGD2.jpg

EDIT: A basic test resulted in one plane shooting down the other less than 20 seconds in from when I activated their guard modules, in one shot.

Edited by Pine