[0.24.2] Taverio's Pizza and Aerospace v1.7.1 (22/09)

Taverius

• 4 weeks later...

Taverius: an issue I noticed with some of your MM patches. You do both a FOR and an AFTER. You can only use one pass argument on a patch; if you include multiple ones, then the patch will be executed whenever the first one trips. Indeed, it was considered to count as a malformed patch any line containing multiple pass arguments.

Consider this patch:

@PART[NP_zmisc_B5_Fin]:FOR[TVPP]:NEEDS[NovaPunch2]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch] {
@mass = 0.028
@breakingForce = 90
@breakingTorque= 90
@fuelCrossFeed = True

@dragCoeff = 0.63
@deflectionLiftCoeff = 0.56

%MODULE[FARWingAerodynamicModel]:NEEDS[FerramAerospaceResearch] {
%name = FARWingAerodynamicModel
%MAC = 1.363
%e = 0.7
%MidChordSweep = 12.77
%b_2 = 1.873
%TaperRatio = 0.524
}
}

If a user has FAR installed, it will be executed long before all your other FOR[TVPP] patches, since those won't be executed until the patcher gets to TVPP, and any AFTER[TVPP] patches will execute long after this did, since it was executed in the FerramAerospaceResearch pass (although the AFTER segment of that pass)

If a user doesn't have FAR installed, it will be executed along with the other FOR[TVPP] patches.

If this is not intended behavior, you need to use a different method...

One thing I was thinking, while you are rebalancing the parts for 0.24, maybe you should go and redesign your realistic rebalanced curves for the stock jet engines.

I personally think the stock turbojet should be a "simple turbojet" (as in having a simple non-compound compressor, a simple non-compound output turbine, no gearing between the output turbine and the compressor turbine (just blade design differences) and no exhaust port shaping (only a simple gimble shroud over the back of the exhaust port.) The only advantage of this is that it's cheaper, lighter, and you get it earlier in the tech tree. This sort of very simple engine is like early jet engines, hence it's early place on the tech tree. It would have a rather limited "ideal" operating range in both altitude and airspeed. It would also consume significantly more fuel than it's counterpart.

As of the stock turbofan, it should be given the behavior curve a "hybrid low-bypass high-compression turbofan" with a two-stage gearboxed compressor behind the turbofan compressor, a bypass port variable geometry and deactivation system for the turbofan and an adjustable-geometry output vent. This of course means much higher efficiency and more consistent thrust at all ranges and altitudes, at the cost of slower changes in speed, increased weight and increased cost. Efficiency should still cut-out pretty rapidly shortly above supersonic speed, but it should continue to function well into the hypersonic speeds. The same should happen at higher altitudes or any other time there is a shortage of intake air. (Reduction in intake air should cause it to change modes and divert it's bypass air to intake air.)

To do this with 100% accuracy, you would have to create pair of resource called "Engine torque" and "compressed air." There would technically be two engines inside the engine, plus one added conversion part. One engine burns fuel and compressed air while generating torque and thrust, while the other just uses compressed to generate thrust, then there is an added conversion part that converts torque and intake air into compressed air. Torque cannot be moved and cannot be stored. Compressed air can be moved and stored, but the unit has minimal storage, and consumes far more than can be stored. It may be possible to even rig it so that you can limit the rate that it can be transfered to prevent the use of it for large engines, but allow it to be used for other usages if moved around.

Ok.

It's unbelievable and also quite a poor excuse, how it can be possible such bad parts can have been included as-is as stock :huh: and NEVER FIXED ! I'll never understand that...

AFAIK CoM is in fact what the modeler decide by putting his/her part at any origin. These low nodes on mk2 fuselage parts can make sense if fuel is stored more in the bottom, as there are also fuselage, which mean full of nothing + structural parts + wires and insulation material. Center of the volume is not always the CoM.

I heard that Hugo (A person at Squad, forgot what role) is going to be working on the old aircraft parts for .25

I was wondering if you could possibly consider redesigning your ramjet to be more like the RTA-1 that was based off of the YF 120 turbofan engine used in the yf-22 and yf-23, was also the basis for the ramjet engine for the x-43. Sadly the only information I can find on it currently is this little snippet "The variable cycle technology used in the YF120 would be extended to not only turn the engine into a turbojet but also into a ramjet. In that mode all airflow would bypass the core and be diverted into the afterburner-like "hyperburner" where it would be combusted like a ramjet. This proposed engine was to accelerate from 0 to Mach 4.1 (at 56,000 ft) in eight minutes."

Neither the YF22 or the YF23 were designed to be Mach 4+ aircraft.

They both used the Pratt & Whitney YF119 and the GE YF120. I think you are getting the idea of the YF120 engine a bit confused with another engine.

Like i said it was going to be developed into the RMA-1 but they lost the bids for the yf120 engine, but they did get the contract for a different branch of development the f136 engine. Although I did find a research paper on it.

http://www.ecosimpro.com/download/articles/VKI.Modelling_and_Simulation_of_the_Revolutionary_Turbine_Accelerator.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Umbra: It certainly seems to be working. However...

Tavarius: I've found some cfg bugs:

the 4x2 rectangular wing is the same size as the 4x4, as is the 3x1.5 and 3x3: both 4x2 and 3x1.5 copy the 2x2 config instead of the 2x1.

The same goes for the 1mControlSurface and 2mControlSurface2: they copy the 1mControlSurface0 instead of the 0.5mControlSurface.

Thanks for the bug reports people.

I'm currently trying not go insane as I add budget costs to B9, but this will be coming right after.

Since recent blender versions have a 3d-printing toolkit that gives mesh volumes with 1 click, expect mass and capacity of fuselages to change somewhat :)

Ehm ... cost is done, fs-powered swichable fuel tanks are done.

I'm currently tweaking hotrockets FX.

K3|Chris is finalizing the new IVAs and cockpits that will ship with this release.

After that, unless some major blocker comes up, we're down to final playtesting and such.

Soon?

OK. If you want some help playtesting, PM me. I might or might not be busy until after 5th september, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I really love B9, most airplanes I made that were any good were made with it.

B9 and TVPP are coming along nicely.

I just need to make sure the FireSpitter switchable fuel tanks are disabled if you have RealFuels or MFT, and put in a bit of glue so that HotRockets keeps working.

Eventually I'm going to use FS to fix the awful landing gear, but for now I'm only using it for switchable fuel tanks as in B9.

• 3 weeks later...

Not dead!

This is what v1.7 has so far:

• Update ModuleManager to v2.3.5.
  • Recompile KineTechAnimation with KSP v0.24.2.
  • Cost fixes everywhere.
  • Redone mass/capacity for fuselages.
  • Fixed numerous errors in NTBI .cfg.
  • Clean up MM code, detect NEAR where appropriate.
  • Add FireSpitter git a99fc36c.
  • Use FSfuelSwitch in fuselages.
  • Replace basic prop script with FireSpitter alternative.
  • Customized ModularFuelTanks|RealFuels support.
  • Deprecate and hide extra fuel-type specific spaceplane fuselages.
  • Tweak turbojet velocity curve.
  • Increase gimbal range on turbofan and turbojet.
  • Fix drag on Radial/Nacelle body.
  • Remove custom RAPIER curves.
  • Moved MKx adapters to propulsion category.
  • Updated DA BallShark plugin.
  • Add ModuleManager patch to bring Spaceplane+ in line with TVPP and B9.

Couple more days playtesting needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.