Mission idea: Kerbal Dakar 2017

Triop

@Triop My 2ct about the category thingy : it's a cool idea that you decide of the category once race is finished, time/screenshot are posted. It will make it easier for competitors but to make your life easier I think you should ask for detailed screenshot of the rover along with flag's screenshot for an entry to be valid. And maybe a small description of how the rover is powered ? That should make it easier to determine a category later on.

You also made a template (here) of what a valid entry should look like, I think you should reproduce or link it to the OP.

@rkarmark how do you want to use DMP in this challenge ? Multiple driver taking turn ? See the others rovers while you race ? I don't expect the first one to be allowed, for the second I don't see how that would impact the race so probably yes.

8 hours ago, Triop said:

You don't get the point. I want you to use the mods, I want to see those nice screenshots.

But why is this category thing so important to you ?

ok. visual modded it is then. 
I guess the categories are important to my more competitive side.  I'm guessing that part modded rovers (modded with parts that provide an almost indestructible chassis or faster/tougher wheels) will be hard to compete against in a rover that uses only stock parts. 

9 hours ago, Triop said:

Have you even driven all stages ? Maybe you won't even make it ?

I've completed it a couple times (on one run I only lost 1 part!). Not too worried about the early stages, but stage 5 is my nemesis, but only because (and purely for my own enjoyment) I'm hitting that stage at ~100m/s (so any mistake == doom).  If I lower the roll-cage on my rover it gains about 15m/s top speed with less drag but looses all protection from rolls, so stage 1 and 5 I'm running without the roll-cage up, faster, but no room for error (which I think is fun). 

Hi all , it seems to have become a little contentious around here lately, and a bit of a rule fest.  As the first respondent in this thread and likely to be running the most custom vehicle in the race and a supporter of modded vehicles in general,    I'll tell you something straight, having a modded vehicle is not going to make the blindest bit of difference.

What will win this race is smart driving good route planning and nothing else,  I was a little disheartened when i saw fellow competitors laying out route markers as one of the big deals with Dakar is you are not allowed to do that, no road map, no pace notes, no sat nav,  just a GPS coordinate, but hey if that's they way the wind blows..  having marked out my nemesis stage (3) I can see that makes a huge difference to how difficult or not as stage will be, but to Dakar rules you're all cheaters :P

So yeah my point, lets not get bogged down in category nonsense,  but if we must,  Open = anything goes, stock J and stock EC self explanatory, there should be no issue with the stock classes but anything goes could produce a moan or two for some, but modded or stock simple choices, no need for 30 classes, unless someones gonna step up as @Triop's PA , give the guy a break... LETS RACE!

Whew. Just finished doing stage 1 and 2, and I must say, stage 2 is an absolute nightmare :confused:. By the looks of it, so is stage 3.

Overall, though, I'm happy with my times. They're probably not the fastest, but I'm just glad I managed to finish the first 2 stages. However, I'll have to come up with a way to right my rover if it flips, and I'll have to redesign the front wing so it doesn't impact the ground. :/ 

Edited by TheEpicSquared

7 minutes ago, TheEpicSquared said:

Whew. Just finished doing stage 1 and 2, and I must say, stage 2 is an absolute nightmare :confused:. By the looks of it, so it stage 3.

Overall, though, I'm happy with my times. They're probably not the fastest, but I'm just glad I managed to finish the first 2 stages. However, I'll have to come up with a way to right my rover if it flips, and I'll have to redesign the front wing so it doesn't impact the ground. :/ 

Spanner gave me a good idea, presumably from IRL experience: a small hoop of something just above COM. When your rover flips, it won't turtle. This hoop or angled structural piece creates a pivot for your rover to wobble. Then a Kerb can flip it. 

Hey, could I ask for a ruling on the below screenshot,  the flag is now 30M above ground level, however as you can see that gate is directly below it,  it's almost impossible to drive from a position from which you can see the flag while negotiating the gate, shutting down the engines and applying the brakes , in this case would the screenshot below it be acceptable as a finish shot, a couple of other flags have done the same and those also have a gate placed directly beneath them.

my flag prob

oKCmky0.png

The finish  all you can see of the flag is the shadow as it's still above the screenshot

AxzGiPv.png

10 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hey, could I ask for a ruling on the below screenshot,  the flag is now 30M above ground level, however as you can see that gate is directly below it,  it's almost impossible to drive from a position from which you can see the flag while negotiating the gate, shutting down the engines and applying the brakes , in this case would the screenshot below it be acceptable as a finish shot, a couple of other flags have done the same and those also have a gate placed directly beneath them.

my flag prob

oKCmky0.png

The finish  all you can see of the flag is the shadow as it's still above the screenshot

AxzGiPv.png

"give the guy a break..." :lol:

Although I like the fact that you use the Races! mod, I don't think fellow contestants will think it will be fair.

People who use flags for the timing have to brake first while with using the Races! gates you can drive through them at 100 m/s setting a faster time...

source.gif

Edited by Triop

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

-snip-

What will win this race is smart driving good route planning and nothing else,  I was a little disheartened when i saw fellow competitors laying out route markers as one of the big deals with Dakar is you are not allowed to do that, no road map, no pace notes, no sat nav,  just a GPS coordinate, but hey if that's they way the wind blows..  having marked out my nemesis stage (3) I can see that makes a huge difference to how difficult or not as stage will be, but to Dakar rules you're all cheaters :P

-snip-

Erm, forgive me if I'm missing the point, but you complain about others laying out route markers and then in your very next post show some route markers that you laid out.

Perhaps you could explain that to me?

6 minutes ago, Triop said:

"give the guy a break..." :lol:

Although I like the fact that you use the Races! mod, I don't think fellow contestants will not think it will be fair.

People who use flags for the timing have to brake first while with using the Races! gates you can drive through them at 100 m/s setting a faster time...

Fine, stop at gate while arranging  screenshot in top down angle so you can see the flag

1 minute ago, Slam_Jones said:

Erm, forgive me if I'm missing the point, but you complain about others laying out route markers and then in your very next post show some route markers that you laid out.

Perhaps you could explain that to me?

4 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

having marked out my nemesis stage (3) I can see that makes a huge difference to how difficult or not as stage will be, but to Dakar rules you're all cheaters :P

:sticktongue:

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Fine, stop at gate while arranging  screenshot in top down angle so you can see the flag

Sorry dude, I would prefer it if everybody would use the Races! mod, but that discussion is over....

I agree with @SpannerMonkey(smce) in regards to categories or classes ... lets keep it simple ....

I recommend the following:

J Unlimited - Juno powered, anything goes ... if you've modded the game and using Juno's then your entry goes here

EC Unlimited - EC powered, anything goes ... if you've modded the game and using EC to drive your wheels then your enrty goes here

J class - Juno powered ... no mods

EC class - electric powered ... no mods

IMHO this will make it easier on our gracious host and serve to ease any confusion as to what class your in

1 minute ago, Triop said:

Sorry dude, I would prefer it if everybody would use the Races! mod, but that discussion is over....

not disputing it and wasnt requesting use of a mod

i was attempting to draw attention to the flag position which definitely puts me at a disadvantage to those with flags at ground level :) dontcha think...

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

5 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

-snip-

[...]I was a little disheartened when i saw fellow competitors laying out route markers as one of the big deals with Dakar is you are not allowed to do that, no road map, no pace notes, no sat nav,  just a GPS coordinate, but hey if that's they way the wind blows..  having marked out my nemesis stage (3) I can see that makes a huge difference to how difficult or not as stage will be, but to Dakar rules you're all cheaters :P

-snip-

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.  I mean, even in jest it seems a bit hypocritical.

I guess if you can't beat em, join em?

Edited by Slam_Jones

Just now, Slam_Jones said:

I guess if you can't beat em, join em?

5 hours ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

but hey if that's they way the wind blows..  having marked etc snipped

it would help if you are attempting to pour derision upon somebody if you properly read the post about which you are commenting. Have a nice day :)

57 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

it would help if you are attempting to pour derision upon somebody if you properly read the post about which you are commenting. Have a nice day :)

I subscribe the the idea of "be the change you want to see in the world," and not "fold at the slightest sign of opposition."  If you don't agree with having markers on the track, then gosh darn it, stick to your guns, mate.

Obviously having markers on the track bothers you, otherwise you wouldn't have said anything. 

What bothers me is that you are so willing to compromise your opinions and morals in order to follow the path of least resistance.  It makes it hard to respect a person when they can't hold a solid opinion against even the slightest opposition.

Personally, if I complain about something, I make sure I'm not guilty of the exact same thing :wink:

Edited by Slam_Jones