"Mods that should be stock!" A community list for new players! Please vote!!!

*placeholder*

The expression this mod should be stock or that mod should be stock is heard quite often in the KSP community. But there is no doubt that we have quality mods around that truly deserve to be recognized as such. If you are new to KSP and KSP modding the number of available mods is staggering and intimidating and many might ask themselves where should I even start. That is why I want to create this list that is easily accessible to anyone who enters this sub-forum.

A mod needs to be a flatout improvement to the KSP experience to every part of the playerbase to be applicable for this list. For example Ferram Aerospace Research to me is probably the greatest mod since the discovery of sliced bread. But it only caters to the aerodynamics enthusiasts and therefor it does not qualify to be part of this list. Any mods which focus on the introduction of new parts will always be a matter of an individuals taste as well, so neither do these qualify. So this list will probably mostly consist of quality of live mods. We have some mods in our community that come with a huge amount of features some of which only cater to a certain part of the playerbase. These mods are applicable but when you make the suggestion you need to focus on the aspect which everybody profits from. I would want to limit the number of entries on this list to no more than 15 to 20 mods. So is becoming a part of this list a permanent thing once the mod is on it? If something great comes around and the community decides that a not so popular mod should be removed from it for this new great thing then it will be removed.

Okay now that I have suitably explained what this is suppossed to be I'd like to suggest two mods that should imho be part of the list.

The first is AtmosphereAutopilot by Boris-Baboris. An autopilot mod you say? Surely that only caters to a certain part of the playerbase doesn't it? That is indeed not the case. While the autopilot functionality is certainly there everybody in the playerbase will profit from the amazing fly-by-wire system. Press P and enjoy an unprecedented level of fine control and stability while flying in the atmosphere. While the SAS certainly has improved quite a bit it is still not where I'd like it to be. It still struggles way to much to keep an ascend angle. It still doesn't stop properly when the control input has stopped. With AtmosphereAutopilot all of this is a thing of the past. But surely only plane people have any need for this right? Not so, the fly-by-wire will also help you get your more wacky rockets into orbit. If you want to you can customize the system but you don't have to. The standard settings are good for almost anybody.

My second candidate is  Editor Extensions Redux by linuxgurugamer. This one is truly a no brainer. It gives everybody more and better assist tools for building in the VAB and the SPH some of which are even customizable.

P.S. At the end of the day the community will decide whether a mod receives a spot on this list or not. It will be put to popular vote.

And now please suggest your entries. :)

Just shortly name the mods you think fit this criteria in a list and that will count as a vote for these mods overall.

Edited by Flashblade
Updated with how to cast your vote

MOD BINGO
B I N G O
Contract
Configurator
Take
Command
Kerbal Joint
Reinforcement
Waypoint
Manager
Visual
Enhancements
(Any)
Realism
Overhaul
Blizzy's
Toolbar
Real
Solar
System
Extraplanetary
Launchpads
Precise
Node
Kerbal Attachment /
Inventory System
Docking Port
Alignment
Indicator

FREE
SPACE
(ModuleManager)

Strategia RCS
Build
Aid
Kerbal
Engineer
Transfer
Window
Planner
MechJeb Kerbal
Alarm
Clock
Procedural
Anything
Distant
Object
Enhancement
Life
Support
(Any)
Editor
Extensions
Chatterer Better
Burn Time

Use this card any time anybody asks any question about anybody's opinions on mods in general.

Edited by 5thHorseman

52 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:
MOD BINGO
B I N G O
Contract
Configurator
Take
Command
Kerbal Joint
Reinforcement
Waypoint
Manager
Visual
Enhancements
(Any)
Realism
Overhaul
Blizzy's
Toolbar
Real
Solar
System
Extraplanetary
Launchpads
Precise
Node
Kerbal Attachment /
Inventory System
Docking Port
Alignment
Indicator

FREE
SPACE
(ModuleManager)

Strategia RCS
Build
Aid
Kerbal
Engineer
Transfer
Window
Planner
MechJeb Kerbal
Alarm
Clock
Procedural
Anything
Distant
Object
Enhancement
Life
Support
(Any)
Editor
Extensions
Chatterer Better
Burn Time

Use this card any time anybody asks any question about anybody's opinions on mods in general.

While I agree there are a ton of instant picks on this Bingo card, there are also quite a few that do not match the criteria. For example Realism overhaul, Real Solar System, Life Support (Any) expressly only are of interest to the groups who enjoy them.

Well, for me, should be stock:

-Kerbal Engineer Redux

-MechJeb 

-SVE (or any other beautyfication pack)

-Ambient Light Adjustement

-Docking Port Alignment 

-Blizzy's Toolbar

-TAC Fuel Balancer

-any LS

-Kerbal Konstruct(Kerbin is too empty)

-Infernal Robotics (moving parts are necessary)

-Kerbal Alarm Clock (otherwise multiple missions are almost impossible)

-Transfer Windows Planner 

-Outer Planet (cause the stock planets are the same from... 0.18? We know everything about them)

-KIS/KAS(cause EVAs are otherwise almost useless and cause space-tape is always welcomed)

-Interstellar Extended(probably out of the thread, but it makes the end game much more entertaining)

-B9(the stock parts are ugly in comparison, not just for spaceplanes)

-KJR(the stock autostrut is great, but KJR is the same a big step forward)

-Procedural Parts(for the part count and the ability to choose shape and usefulness, instead of the stock few choices)

Module Manager, obviously.

I think I've included most of the mods I don't play without, or the gameplay, for me, isn't complete without.

Edited by Nansuchao

2 hours ago, Flashblade said:

While I agree there are a ton of instant picks on this Bingo card, there are also quite a few that do not match the criteria. For example Realism overhaul, Real Solar System, Life Support (Any) expressly only are of interest to the groups who enjoy them.

These are not my suggestions, they are a prediction of what WILL be suggested. Because they're always suggested.

5 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

These are not my suggestions, they are a prediction of what WILL be suggested. Because they're always suggested.

Agreed and a lot on this bingo card should be placed on this list imho. But if I just create the list with the entries I think belong there, it is just my list. Putting this to a majority vote gives the list a legitimacy it would otherwise lack. Since this is a list of what the modding community thinks a new player should look at first when it comes to modding, this legitmacy is needed I think.

*Update*

The OP has been updated with the method on how to cast this vote. I would like to have the vote open for a week and then count the votes cast. I guess I would like to have at least 50 people participate and hopefully it will be more else I don't think this really has a leg to stand on. In that case I will drop it which would be a bit of a shame I think.

Edited by Flashblade

I would vote for:

KER (Engineering data that any competent space program would have hordes of engineers calculating for mission prior to launch, ands could calculate on the fly from telemetry)

Transfer window planner (Navigational data that any competent space program would have scientists and supercomputers calculating for mission planning)

Gravity turn (Because no human has ever controlled an accent into space on top of a rocket... and controllable/repeatable launches with set parameters make the planning in KER much more effective)

Better Burn Time is like a fix to an old KSP bug, which devs don't bother to fix. So this is a must above all.

More readouts in the flight scene, like altitude above surface, periapsis / apoapsis, time to periapsis / apoapsis.

MechJeb

KIS/KAS

KER

KAC

Environmental Visual Enhancements / Scatterer

Procedural wings

B9, FASA, KOSMOS parts packs

That one that lets you customise the contents of your tanks.

Transfer window Planner

Edited by p1t1o

Visual Enhancements..

That's it. I'm serious. I routinely install KER and Kerbal Alarm Clock, but I'm quite happy to leave those sorts of functions as mods. Maybe add them in if the alarm clock got a major feature trim, but that's really it. The core game is about done IMHO.

At this point I'm much more interested in what Squad might come up with for an expansion pack that adds major new game play elements and objectives. But such a thing would have to be pretty epic - more than could be achieved by any mod. I'm not sure what that would look like.

Simon Hibbs

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to thank everybody who participated in this idea with a vote. Sadly this sample of the userbase is much to small to claim that this really is something the community majorly voted for. So sadly I declare this a failure. I expected this to happen when the thread was moved from the mod release forum. Thank you again all who voted and have a happy new year!

@Val

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.