The Kerbal Dakar 2017 entry vehicles thread

Triop

37 minutes ago, Triop said:

clMxREh.png

So i've been tweaking the cfg file for the RoveMax model M1 wheel, not to much. but it pulls up faster and top speed is set to 40 m/s.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg3ol1gjmz0m6t0/roverWheelM1.cfg?dl=0

Replace this file with the original here: your game location/Gamedata/Squad/Parts/Wheel/RoverwheelM1/roverWheelM1.cfg.

Or do it yourself, changed code:

torqueCurve
        {
            key = 0 1.0 0 0
            key = 10  0.99 0//20  0.99 0
            key = 30 0.7 0 0//40 0.7 0 0
            key = 34 0 0 0//44 0 0 0
        }

Modding wheel configs.

That's a slippery slope, bro. Next you'll be hanging out in gas station bathrooms, trying to score an SRB, selling all your science points for that next trip to the stars...

qMHLKhK.png

Figured I had to show off the beast.  Forgive the hasty nature (leaving the HUD open, being on the move, etc) but I was partly into stage 3 and figured, if I wasn't going to crash right away, I'd get a quick picture of the car I've been working with.  Currently codenamed as the Flying Dustbuster (specifically, MK3, because MK1 and MK2 used mod wheels that ate it at the last terrain seam before the flag at the end of the first stage), this is a no-engines, no-frills racing buggy.  Yes, I have flaps that are currently functional, because I'm using them to act as air-brakes when I'm not actively holding W.  It's a safety feature.

As for why I have all 6 fuel cells and the solar panels open for monitoring... Because I needed something to look at besides my nav-ball, the terrain, and the sky.  Plus, it's useful to know just how much power I'm drawing, given that the 4 onboard RTG's aren't able to do anything once it starts climbing hills.

13 minutes ago, Madrias said:

qMHLKhK.png

Figured I had to show off the beast.  Forgive the hasty nature (leaving the HUD open, being on the move, etc) but I was partly into stage 3 and figured, if I wasn't going to crash right away, I'd get a quick picture of the car I've been working with.  Currently codenamed as the Flying Dustbuster (specifically, MK3, because MK1 and MK2 used mod wheels that ate it at the last terrain seam before the flag at the end of the first stage), this is a no-engines, no-frills racing buggy.  Yes, I have flaps that are currently functional, because I'm using them to act as air-brakes when I'm not actively holding W.  It's a safety feature.

As for why I have all 6 fuel cells and the solar panels open for monitoring... Because I needed something to look at besides my nav-ball, the terrain, and the sky.  Plus, it's useful to know just how much power I'm drawing, given that the 4 onboard RTG's aren't able to do anything once it starts climbing hills.

Nice cockpit &)

NsAhVom.png

17 minutes ago, Madrias said:

qMHLKhK.png

Is that the KSO rover cockpit?

I wanted something slim, but had room for two Kerbals so I could have a pilot and an engineer in case I blew up a tire somehow.  Also, I've just now realized something the MK4 will have that I currently don't have on the MK3.  I don't have any lights installed on this monstrosity, so if I had to do a stage in the night, I'd be in a right and proper mess.

3 hours ago, Triop said:

So i've been tweaking the cfg file for the RoveMax model M1 wheel, not to much. but it pulls up faster and top speed is set to 40 m/s.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg3ol1gjmz0m6t0/roverWheelM1.cfg?dl=0

Replace this file with the original here: your game location/Gamedata/Squad/Parts/Wheel/RoverwheelM1/roverWheelM1.cfg.

Or do it yourself, changed code:

torqueCurve
        {
            key = 0 1.0 0 0
            key = 10  0.99 0//20  0.99 0
            key = 30 0.7 0 0//40 0.7 0 0
            key = 34 0 0 0//44 0 0 0
        }

Yep. Works great. Did that with a few wheels. Cool thing is that you can add more "key = XX" lines and fill in the blanks, smooth out power/torque curves, change steering response in relation to speed, etc......

Cool shizzle

Yeah, the new revision of the Flying Dustbuster is impressively fun to drive.  The added reaction wheel, extra Oscar fuel tank, and spare pair of fuel cells has helped with increased power and also enabling minimalistic control in the little hops it still gets over the ground.  Mostly so that I can pitch to the ground for more gentle landings instead of going "thud" every time I come back down.

Edit:

Try number two with the Flying Dustbuster down Stage 3's hill!  Time's all out of whack because somewhere between Stage 1 and Stage 2, I parked the Dustbuster and tried the Jumping Jalopy, but it kinda 'sploded.  So I jumped back to the Flying Dustbuster and continued my practice run.

mBAK9v9.png

How's that for a strategy?

Edited by Madrias
Progress post!

7 hours ago, GDJ said:

Yep. Works great. Did that with a few wheels. Cool thing is that you can add more "key = XX" lines and fill in the blanks, smooth out power/torque curves, change steering response in relation to speed, etc......

Cool shizzle

I've requested @linuxgurugamer to add something Squad left out: wheel motor action group toggles. If/when it arrives I'll work on a "gearbox". Yes, complete with sound and torque curves.

Survived Stage 5 without any damage this time.  It's amazing, I put on a decoupling system in the event of my wing keeping me turtled, and I manage to get through without smashing my machine to bits.

Edit:  Screw you, night-time!  Darkness fell and I wrecked badly on stage 6 again.  When you can't see your hand in front of your own face, it's impossible to run a rally.  Well, time to warp to the new morning and try again.

Edited by Madrias

6 hours ago, Madrias said:

Yeah, the new revision of the Flying Dustbuster is impressively fun to drive.  The added reaction wheel, extra Oscar fuel tank, and spare pair of fuel cells has helped with increased power and also enabling minimalistic control in the little hops it still gets over the ground.  Mostly so that I can pitch to the ground for more gentle landings instead of going "thud" every time I come back down.

Edit:

Try number two with the Flying Dustbuster down Stage 3's hill!  Time's all out of whack because somewhere between Stage 1 and Stage 2, I parked the Dustbuster and tried the Jumping Jalopy, but it kinda 'sploded.  So I jumped back to the Flying Dustbuster and continued my practice run.

mBAK9v9.png

How's that for a strategy?

That is one almighty wing...

And we're back, following the loss of the race vehicle and all the development prototypes the race vehicle has been rebuilt,, a first run on stage 1 gave a quite respectable 8:09:11 time, the front suspension is still not quite right either a touch more spring or a little more damping, needs a few more runs to see,  but it's well on the way to being just right , somehow over half a ton lighter than the original , so i added a touch more downforce to keep the speed at around the same level, so screenies.

WT66GzH.pngS1OVUbW.pngV8TS1gh.png

6 minutes ago, DrunkenKerbalnaut said:

I still bully my nephew out of his when I go to visit. Those damn things have become expensive

Yes, but since Lego only lets there sets go for a period of time bying them is actually a good investment.

When I buy a set I keep the box, stickers, instructions. (I do open them and use the bricks, not the stickers).

3 minutes ago, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

And we're back, following the loss of the race vehicle and all the development prototypes the race vehicle has been rebuilt,, a first run on stage 1 gave a quite respectable 8:09:11 time, the front suspension is still not quite right either a touch more spring or a little more damping, needs a few more runs to see,  but it's well on the way to being just right , somehow over half a ton lighter than the original , so i added a touch more downforce to keep the speed at around the same level, so screenies.

WT66GzH.pngS1OVUbW.pngV8TS1gh.png

Incredible. Who's driving ? Darth Vader ? :lol:

Edited by Triop

1 minute ago, Triop said:

Ok. what number am I thinking of ?

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  As in, the number 42.   (Am I close?? :D )

I know I'm not the only Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan on these forums... :wink:

3 minutes ago, Slam_Jones said:

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  As in, the number 42.   (Am I close?? :D )

I know I'm not the only Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy fan on these forums... :wink:

200w.gif?6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.