[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Total Rebuild

The White Guardian

26 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

Not as far as I know, only @Body and !Body seem to be valid.

Probably the PQSMod I use most is VertexHeightNoise, shortly followed by HeightColorMap, then VertexVoronoi and LandControl.

Glad you're so excited! I've made tremendous progress today with two whole new planetary systems, going to test them now.

Also, fun fact for everyone: some of the planet maps TotalRebuild uses were hand-made by me in GIMP. :D

Okay, thanks!

Phew, I'm done working on this for the day. Gonna play some Overwatch now. :D

Testing revealed that the outermost two planets, which use hand-made textures, work fine and look absolutely magnificent. I'm so proud of how this project is coming together - every hand-made map looks magnificent so far in-game!

But I think the star of the show is probably gonna be the sixth planet...

Spoiler

...which is planned to have clouds that glow in the dark.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:03 AM, The White Guardian said:

Testing revealed that the outermost two planets, which use hand-made textures, work fine and look absolutely magnificent. I'm so proud of how this project is coming together - every hand-made map looks magnificent so far in-game!

Hide contents

nice,  I would like to see what that looks like!

Sorry, for all the questions, but what does the PQS Mod LandControl do, and what does PQS even mean?

Edited by Axilourous

On 1/8/2017 at 10:23 PM, Axilourous said:

nice,  I would like to see what that looks like!

Sorry, for all the questions, but what does the PQS Mod LandControl do, and what does PQS even mean?

Not sure what PQS means... 'Procedural Quad Surface'? But that doesn't matter that much, what you do with it matters more.

LandControl allows for in-depth colorization of planets, using limiters for altitude, latitude and longitude to select specific terrain chunks and color them. For example LandControl is used for those fancy icecaps on Kerbin, Duna and Laythe.

LandControl is also the mod that adds terrain scatter to worlds.

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Not sure what PQS means... 'Procedural Quad Surface'? But that doesn't matter that much, what you do with it matters more.

LandControl allows for in-depth colorization of planets, using limiters for altitude, latitude and longitude to select specific terrain chunks and color them. For example LandControl is used for those fancy icecaps on Kerbin, Duna and Laythe.

LandControl is also the mod that adds terrain scatter to worlds.

*mouth waters*

Just think of all the planets I can make with that...Do you have a tutorial for Land Control? Or like a starting config with it? (With basic Land Control stuff)

4 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Thanks, but I don't understand at all, should I just learn as I go, or is there a tutorial?

EDIT: Just learned that @ProtoJeb21 said almost the same thing, but I just have no Idea what anything does.

Edited by Axilourous

16 minutes ago, Axilourous said:

Thanks, but I don't understand at all, should I just learn as I go, or is there a tutorial?

EDIT: Just learned that @ProtoJeb21 said almost the same thing, but I just have no Idea what anything does.

It's actually very simple.

I always copy the LandControl mod from either Kerbin or Duna and delete all the LandClasses, then start from scratch. The LandClasses matter most.

Class
						{
							alterApparentHeight = 0 //alter scaledspace height
							alterRealHeight = 0 //alter actual height
							//The alterHeight values are used for the icecaps, to make them rise out of the water.

color = 0.694029808,0.631407022,0.473202139,1 //enter the main color

coverageBlend = 1
							coverageFrequency = 2
							coverageOctaves = 4
							coveragePersistance = 0.5
							coverageSeed = 121214

name = BaseBeach //Give the class a name
							latDelta = 1
							latitudeDouble = True
							lonDelta = 1
							minimumRealHeight = 0

//Reminds you of VertexSimplexNoiseColor, and works simliarly. The other color is the 'main' color.
							noiseBlend = 0.5
							noiseColor = 0.604477644,0.582080245,0.454414994,1
							noiseFrequency = 8
							noiseOctaves = 4
							noisePersistance = 0.5
							noiseSeed = 453737

delete = False
							altitudeRange //Limiters for the altitude, like HeightColorMap
							{
								endEnd = 0.0199999995529652
								endStart = 0.00499999988824129
								startEnd = 0
								startStart = -0.0500000007450581
							}
							coverageSimplex
							{
								frequency = 2
								octaves = 4
								persistence = 0.5
							}
							latitudeDoubleRange //limiters for the latitude from equator -> north pole
							{
								endEnd = 0.909999996423721
								endStart = 0.909999996423721
								startEnd = 0.399999976158142
								startStart = 0.399999976158142
							}
							latitudeRange //limiters for the latitude from south pole -> equator
							{
								endEnd = 0.600000023841858
								endStart = 0.600000023841858
								startEnd = 0.0900000035762787
								startStart = 0.0900000035762787
							}
							longitudeRange //Set limiters for the longitude
							{
								endEnd = 2
								endStart = 2
								startEnd = -1
								startStart = -1
							}
							noiseSimplex
							{
								frequency = 8
								octaves = 4
								persistence = 0.5
							}
							scatters //Specify the terrain scatters appearing in this LandClass
							{
								Scatter //One of these per terrain scatter
								{
									density = 0.2
									scatterName = Tree00 //the 'name' value of the Scatter you wish to spawn
								}
							}
						}

The terrain scatter configurations, I just copy those from stock planets. :wink:

I have one more suggestion, what about a desert planet with quicksand.

to make the quicksand, you could make an ocean that uses a "sandy" texture much like the "ocean" on cyran uses cloud textures. And for the sinking part you could make the play around with the buoyancy until objects sink in it (much like the lakes on Tarsiss from Galileos planet Pack).

1 hour ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

I have one more suggestion, what about a desert planet with quicksand.

to make the quicksand, you could make an ocean that uses a "sandy" texture much like the "ocean" on cyran uses cloud textures. And for the sinking part you could make the play around with the buoyancy until objects sink in it (much like the lakes on Tarsiss from Galileos planet Pack).

Could work, I'll look into it. Though I won't give the quicksand a sandy texture then, more like mud. I'll mostly take inspiration from Aridia from Ratchet & Clank, one of my favorite series:

troisieme-boulon-aridia-005.jpg

6 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Could work, I'll look into it. Though I won't give the quicksand a sandy texture then, more like mud. I'll mostly take inspiration from Aridia from Ratchet & Clank, one of my favorite series:

troisieme-boulon-aridia-005.jpg

true quicksand does usually have a more muddy appearance most of the time

Edited by ModerndayLink64

On 1/8/2017 at 10:03 AM, The White Guardian said:

Hide contents

I look forward to seeing this. 

I guess I have two questions about terrain scatter. since that tends to be what I use LandControl for most often.

1) Do you have a list of valid scatter names?
2) Is there a way to add custom scatter models?  Guessing the answer here is "no," but figured I'd ask.

Edited by narhiril

2 hours ago, narhiril said:

1) Do you have a list of valid scatter names?
2) Is there a way to add custom scatter models?  Guessing the answer here is "no," but figured I'd ask.

1. Nope, sorry. However, you can find & copy stock scatter configurations here.

2. I'm trying myself. I tried a .obj wavefront once but it made KSP puke. I'm currently trying to run the model through Unity and add a collision mesh in the process. I'll let you know once I figure it out.

Edited by The White Guardian

Nice! Kallahan looks awesome and completely different! That will be a pretty nice change from Kerbin, to bad my computer cant handle EVE that well. Are you going to have planets with rings at all? I like rings and they are pretty easy(thanks OPM configs)

Edited by Axilourous

5 hours ago, Axilourous said:

Nice! Kallahan looks awesome and completely different! That will be a pretty nice change from Kerbin, to bad my computer cant handle EVE that well. Are you going to have planets with rings at all? I like rings and they are pretty easy(thanks OPM configs)

I might as well answer your ring-related question in style, with MORE SCREENSHOTS!

I got the EVE configurations finished for all bodies implemented thus far, and this is the result:

kSbPUux.png

Thanks to @Galileo for teaching me the glowing cloud trick.

Also, CommNet works great with TR so far, if you orbit the moon shown above you should barely have a connection to Kallahan with basic antenna stuff, which means that relay systems are required.

Also, I doubt you can see it well in the image above as it's only two pixels wide in the image, but those rings have a secret.

As @Galacticvoyager asked a few pages back, here's the current planned layout of the system (be warned, in here be spoilers)

Spoiler

Are you sure?

Spoiler

Really sure?

Spoiler

Okay then.

Sun (made a barycenter)
{
	Evera=Viclis binary system
}
{
	Skeon
	{
		Ignitas
	}
	Kallahan
	{
		Nia
		Varcus
		Kris
	}
	Ceraton
	{
		Nisma
		Ven
		Zarrin
		Jinvo
		Cos
	}
	BARYCENTER Syppo=Naal
	{
		Syppo
		{
		}
		Naal
		{
		}
	}
	Tempest
	{
		Vorratin
	}
	Tursan
	{
		Kin
		Vilta
		Erri
		Nos
		Xyna
		Al
	}
	Syne
	{
	}
	Mys
	{
		Nis
	}
	Kolt
	{
	}
}

36 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@The White Guardian when you're ready/done with Scatterer I'd like to try my hand at rigging dual sunflares and eclipses for this. :) 

I doubt I'm gonna make Scatterer stuff for this. Not that I don't want to, but hear me out - just INSTALLING Scatterer makes MY computer lag, and my computer is a beast of a machine. Thus if Scatterer makes it lag, I don't even want to know what kind of terror it'd unleash on low-end machines.

I'm going to do further research on the cause of the problem, but I thing Scatterer isn't designed to work with dual stars.

21 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I doubt I'm gonna make Scatterer stuff for this. Not that I don't want to, but hear me out - just INSTALLING Scatterer makes MY computer lag, and my computer is a beast of a machine. Thus if Scatterer makes it lag, I don't even want to know what kind of terror it'd unleash on low-end machines.

I'm going to do further research on the cause of the problem, but I thing Scatterer isn't designed to work with dual stars.

basically, it murders everything, doesn't crash, but takes forever to do anything, and for me, for some reason, it shows with lines everywhere just moving around(with like 0.2 fps) I'm gonna get EVE now, so that the computer can get used to lag, and so I can get used to lag

EDIT: there was a huge performance drop and now its like a 2fps takeoff and takes forever(even map view lags)

Edited by Axilourous

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.