[1.2.X] [Kopernicus] Total Rebuild

The White Guardian

2 minutes ago, Axilourous said:

How do you make binary planets?

You make a parent planet and a moon with close mass ratios (like 4:1 or better) but then you insert a Sigma Binary node into the moon and install the Sigma Binary mod. You will see both bodies now orbiting a shared point in space with its own name "Planet-Moon." If the planet and moon have identical mass they will be perfectly co-orbital.

2 hours ago, Axilourous said:

How do you make binary planets?

There's a way without Sigma Binary being involved. Granted, it's a bit more work but it'll leave you in control of everything.

How I'm going to do it in TR: add a body 'Syppo-Naal' that serves as the barycenter, the reference body for the two orbiting bodies.

I recall @Sigma88 once posting something about there being a 'barycenter = true' option somewhere but I'm not sure how to do that anymore, so I'll just stick with the good old-fashioned way for now:

1. Create a Jool template.

2. Set the radius to 60

3. Set the mass to the sum of the masses of both planets (load them once in KSP with a geeASL and Radius and you should be able to copy the mass of both planets from the planet.body file)

4. In the atmosphere node, only write 'enabled = false'

5. Set an orbit as usual.

6. In the ScaledVersion, set the color to 0,0,0,0 and select a rectangular, black map as the planet texture.

7. Update the Gradient{} with the following code:

Gradient
{
	0.0 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1
	0.5 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1
	1.0 = 0.0196,0.0196,0.0196,1
}

That should do the trick. The result is a tinier-than-tiny black dot that serves as the barycenter. It's hardly visible.

It's not the best way but it works. I'll keep digging to see if there are better ways.

Professor-farnsworth.jpg

Are you suggesting we create the bodies as moons of an open black hole? That's pure genius!

While we're at it can we put a spinning rough-textured disk around this black hole? Or make it star class so it can have a flare too? ...and Infernas-based particle streams for its jets?

Spoiler

What have I done?

@SAS123 @daniel l. @Mycroft get on this.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

39 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Professor-farnsworth.jpg

Are you suggesting we create the bodies as moons of an open black hole? That's pure genius!

While we're at it can we put a spinning rough-textured disk around this black hole? Or make it star class so it can have a flare too? ...and Infernas-based particle streams for its jets?

Reveal hidden contents

What have I done?

You can use it as a black hole, in this case it only serves as a nigh-invisible point that the two planets orbit.

Now, in style: I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

5 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Professor-farnsworth.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

What have I done?

Okay, I like black holes, but TBG will have them. :) If this will too, that will be cool.

The barycenter system keeps having this stupid issue that I have no idea how to fix. Problem is, there is absolutely no reason for this weird issue to appear at all.

Therefore I'm thinking of kicking the barycenter out altogether.

On a brighter note, Kerbin AKA Kallahan is almost finished, currently going to export the textures.

Edited by The White Guardian

Development update!

The 'Pisces Planets'  as @JadeOfMaar dubbed them two pages back should be good to go.

The new star spectrum works as intended and looks really cool, images on that coming soon.

Naal has been renamed to 'Manley' however, don't ask me why but the NAME seemed to be causing a weird issue. Lord knows why, it's almost as if KSP was intentionally trying to mess with me here as this has no reason. Either way, it's now the Syppo-Manley system.

The innermost planet is also finished, now I only have to code it's companion together.

I and @Agent-Daniel_46 are now hard at work on the sixth planetary system. (Not like we're finished with the other systems...)

Of course, can't leave without a beauty screenshot. Here's Manley:

Spoiler

7cE9ESP.png

Someone in a stream recently asked if there was a mod with binary stars for the homeworld to orbit. Seeing as this mod is still very young I thought I'd throw this suggestion here. I'm not forcing it, of course. Maybe it can go to another planet pack of yours.

That aside, it's nice to see one of the 'Pisces planets'. It looks really nice. I'm eager to see Syppo now.

32 minutes ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

for the carbon planet, would there be a way to make the exposed diamond have a diamond like texture?

also could there be a planet like TRES-2b? a gas giant that has very dark clouds.

also if there are going to be other stars could there be a white dwarf?

That look for the Carbon planet is quite possible after seeing what Galileo does with all his planet visuals mods. If Guardian accepts to do this it would be fabulous. :P

TRES-2b, eh?  Sounds great and unique but would it really be attracting or fitting in this solar system in the long run?

On 02/01/2017 at 6:17 AM, The White Guardian said:

Alright, the Sun should now be the A7D spectral class, and the Syppo-Naal system is about to be tested. :D

A7D Class? Wait! Isn't that like a White Dwarf Star with spectral colour of A7? I think you meant A7V

10 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

Development update!

The 'Pisces Planets'  as @JadeOfMaar dubbed them two pages back should be good to go.

The new star spectrum works as intended and looks really cool, images on that coming soon.

Naal has been renamed to 'Manley' however, don't ask me why but the NAME seemed to be causing a weird issue. Lord knows why, it's almost as if KSP was intentionally trying to mess with me here as this has no reason. Either way, it's now the Syppo-Manley system.

The innermost planet is also finished, now I only have to code it's companion together.

I and @Agent-Daniel_46 are now hard at work on the sixth planetary system. (Not like we're finished with the other systems...)

Of course, can't leave without a beauty screenshot. Here's Manley:

Hide contents

7cE9ESP.png

Not signed in

This planet looks like one of those Ice Worlds in SE but lt seems like you overlayed the Cracks layer onto a procedural texture. Interesting idea.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

That look for the Carbon planet is quite possible after seeing what Galileo does with all his planet visuals mods. If Guardian accepts to do this it would be fabulous. :P

TRES-2b, eh?  Sounds great and unique but would it really be attracting or fitting in this solar system in the long run?

I am currently Making a mod that is between New Horizons and Total Rebuild meaning all but Kerbin and the Sun are erased but Kerbin and The Sun stay the same. I could add a Darker-Than-Coal Gas giant.

On 01/01/2017 at 8:15 AM, The White Guardian said:

1. Could work, though the acidity wouldn't have any big effects on crafts. It's very possible though, it rains Sulphuric Acid on Venus.

2. Possible, as mineral oils exist. Wouldn't be easy to explain it though.

3. Basically 55 Cancri e? Could work, a carbon planet!

4. Lightning was possible with an old version of AVP, I'll see what I can do.

5. OH HELL YEAH! THAT'S IN! :D

6. Good idea! Adding that.

7. Alright, that's in!

8. Already planned.

9. Huge waves, not sure how to get that to work. Waves aren't possible AFAIK.

I think i know how you could add Pseudowinds like dust storms. With particles that look like gas or dust and are somewhat transparent, get the particle generator to spawn in the particles and add a force so that it slides across the surface and make its lifetime short enough that it doesn't look like its being flung into space.

3 hours ago, SAS123 said:

A7D Class? Wait! Isn't that like a White Dwarf Star with spectral colour of A7? I think you meant A7V

This planet looks like one of those Ice Worlds in SE but lt seems like you overlayed the Cracks layer onto a procedural texture. Interesting idea.

I am currently Making a mod that is between New Horizons and Total Rebuild meaning all but Kerbin and the Sun are erased but Kerbin and The Sun stay the same. I could add a Darker-Than-Coal Gas giant.

Whoops, A7V indeed, I wonder how that issue sneaked in...

I did put my SE skills to good use for this then edited the textures in GIMP, well seen!

Awesome, I'll keep an eye on it!

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Someone in a stream recently asked if there was a mod with binary stars for the homeworld to orbit. Seeing as this mod is still very young I thought I'd throw this suggestion here. I'm not forcing it, of course. Maybe it can go to another planet pack of yours.

That aside, it's nice to see one of the 'Pisces planets'. It looks really nice. I'm eager to see Syppo now.

No, I will not add binary stars. The reason behind this is a bug that seems to occur whenever the planet with the KSC does not orbit the 'center of the universe' directly. I do have plans of adding another star to TR in the future, maybe I'll add a configuration that creates a barycenter and lets the two stars orbit it.

8 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

for the carbon planet, would there be a way to make the exposed diamond have a diamond like texture?

also could there be a planet like TRES-2b? a gas giant that has very dark clouds.

also if there are going to be other stars could there be a white dwarf?

A planet like TRES-2b is not planned right now (reflecting less than 1% of the light and all), but a white dwarf companion is an idea that I'm willing to bring to life one day. The focus is on getting the main pack ready though, extensions are a worry for later.

7 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Regarding the diamond texture, I doubt I can get that to work nicely, or at least sparkly like that. Transparent planets and stuff is no possibility either.

Unless... maybe it'd work if I could get the ground semi-transparent somehow and add another body serving as the planet's core...

48 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

I think i know how you could add Pseudowinds like dust storms. With particles that look like gas or dust and are somewhat transparent, get the particle generator to spawn in the particles and add a force so that it slides across the surface and make its lifetime short enough that it doesn't look like its being flung into space.

TotalRebuild will have it's own EVE textures and configurations, EVE is a much easier option.

55 minutes ago, SAS123 said:

@The White Guardian, Actually, Pure Diamond is only 33% Transparent and Like ice, the more there is, the more light that gets trapped and then eventually it just looks like a shiny world rather than see through.

I didn't do any research about it XD

So, just a shiny, rough world? Easy peasy.

10 hours ago, ModerndayLink64 said:

by diamond like texture I mean like the surface has a "crystaly" look like this (without the words)

depositphotos_22994594-Seamless-crystal-

I think the planet name you are looking for then is not Diamond Planet which pretty much does refer to a Carbon Planet but a Crystalline planet. One that is made of Crystals

On 1/3/2017 at 4:30 AM, The White Guardian said:

No, I will not add binary stars. The reason behind this is a bug that seems to occur whenever the planet with the KSC does not orbit the 'center of the universe' directly. I do have plans of adding another star to TR in the future, maybe I'll add a configuration that creates a barycenter and lets the two stars orbit it.

Bummer! I was going to suggest this because binary stars sounds awesome. Good thing I read the entire thread before suggesting that. 

Regarding ethanol, I wouldn't call the ethanol concentration in alcoholic drinks small. Beer and mixed drinks are usually in the 5% ABV range which could be considered small but spirits (which are often drunk without dilution) range in alcohol percentage from 40%-80% ABV. You're right though, alcohol is pretty bad for you and I laugh at health nut people who drink their "organic" alcohol as I sip on my neat scotch. I looked up the LD50 of ethanol and it's 7060 mg/kg in rats while caffeine is 192 mg/kg in rats and glyphosate is 5600 mg/kg in rats. Kinda weird to think that Roundup and alcohol are both less toxic than caffeine however, according to this handy chart, it would take a 75 kg person 13 1.5 oz (45 ml) shots to receive a lethal dosage of alcohol while it would take 118 cups of coffee to receive a lethal dosage of caffeine. Anyway, that was way down the rabbit hole, I got distracted with looking up median lethal dosages.

Circling back, it would be cool to have a high gravity body with no atmosphere and a relatively flat spot on the equator for high velocity reverse spaceplane landing. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.