SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

10 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Starship using hot staging just makes me want to play KSP. It's gonna be something to behold.

Now I was so sure this was an abort thing and not an for regular use. Looks like I was very wrong. 
Its probably not Musk throwing out random ideas in hope that some give ideas for free :) 
Obvious issue with about is that you might have lost Superheavy trust  at this point, who is another issue, say it loose power or engines get turned off or blow up as in turbopump chain reaction. 

Nice little simulation of how hot staging might work:

From the description:

A simple hot staging simulation showing one possible flight profile. Prior to hot staging, the Super Heavy booster shuts down 30 out of 33 raptor engines and throttles the remaining 3 to 40%. The Starship then lights it's center 3 engines at 40% throttle to minimize force and heating during hot staging. The nearly equal blowback from the starship engines temporarily causes the booster to experience a net zero acceleration while the Starship pulls ahead slowly and then throttles up and lights it's 3 vacuum raptors.

2 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

That's what I thought too -- less tile flop than before.

Wonder what they figured out.

My guess is the insulation behind or the camp downs has been updated, you want the correct tension here, tiles must be able to move a bit but not so much they damage each other because of vibration. 
See 6 tiles missing, is that around the common dome area? 
It might be an idea to pop out an cubesat with an camera from under the skirt and let Starship rotate so it sees the tiles during the orbital tests. 

NASA suggests Artemis lander flight likely pushed back to 2026 due to Starship delay. The NASA official quoted suggests needed launches for qualifying Starship plus the needed launches for the refueling flights will likely delay the Artemis landing flight:

NASA predicts delay: Starship grounded pending investigation

By Steve Clark - June 28, 2023

https://myrgv.com/local-news/2023/06/28/nasa-predicts-delay-starship-grounded-pending-investigation/

Bob Clark

3 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

NASA suggests Artemis lander flight likely pushed back to 2026 due to Starship delay. The NASA official quoted suggests needed launches for qualifying Starship plus the needed launches for the refueling flights will likely delay the Artemis landing flight:

NASA predicts delay: Starship grounded pending investigation

By Steve Clark - June 28, 2023

https://myrgv.com/local-news/2023/06/28/nasa-predicts-delay-starship-grounded-pending-investigation/

Bob Clark

The flight termination system has been upgraded and destructively tested, Yes they should have thought of that steel is more resistant to explosions than aluminium and star ship is strongly build because of its size. 
I say blowing up the pad was more reckless and dangerous. 
But yes Musk time and more concerning how are they gone  land second stage, they would need to overfly the US and forBoca Chica Mexico. Yes shuttle did overfly and Starship is coming in steeper but still. 

24 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

The flight termination system has been upgraded and destructively tested, Yes they should have thought of that steel is more resistant to explosions than aluminium and star ship is strongly build because of its size. 
I say blowing up the pad was more reckless and dangerous. 
But yes Musk time and more concerning how are they gone  land second stage, they would need to overfly the US and forBoca Chica Mexico. Yes shuttle did overfly and Starship is coming in steeper but still. 

Stage 2 landing is a long way off, IMO. S1 is simpler from a risk standpoint (won't attempt until water landing well characterized anyway). They are hardware rich enough, and costs are low enough that they can do the mission with expended vehicles.

This part is dead wrong though:

4 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

due to Starship delay.

Nothing else will be ready by 2026, either. SLS/Orion cadence is 2 to 2+ years for Artemis I to Artemis II, and 3 years for Artemis III to IV. It's bizarre to assume somehow that II to III will be just a year or less. So even if II goes in Q4 2025, there is no rational expectation of III before Q4 2027, or Q1 2028, ignoring Starship.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Nothing else will be ready by 2026, either. SLS/Orion cadence is 2 to 2+ years for Artemis I to Artemis II, and 3 years for Artemis III to IV. It's bizarre to assume somehow that II to III will be just a year or less. So even if II goes in Q4 2025, there is no rational expectation of III before Q4 2027, or Q1 2028, ignoring Starship.

Lol, just give it to the Artemis fanboys. I mean, to be quite honest, this is a very simple trick NASA pulled. "Just don't say how delayed our stuff is, and we will look good!"

In other news, media literacy is at an all-time low, evidently.

Given that Artemis II is currently scheduled for launch in November 2024 and may slip to Q1 2025, I think the planned December 2025 launch for Artemis III is… optimistic, given the pace of the program thus far.

I’m also wondering about the realism of NASA’s scheduling if problems with Starship’s first test flight has that kind of knock on effect for the whole program. One would think they’d anticipate that test flights might not go entirely to plan and build some slop into the schedule to allow for it.

I’ll be amazed if the Artemis III launch date doesn’t slip and the lions share of any delays may well turn out to be due to problems with Starship - it’s an ambitious system with a lot of moving parts.

Calling out SpaceX now as the sole reason for delays in a flight that’s over two years away at best, seems unreasonable though.

15 minutes ago, KSK said:

I’ll be amazed if the Artemis III launch date doesn’t slip and the lions share of any delays may well turn out to be due to problems with Starship - it’s an ambitious system with a lot of moving parts.

Absolutely. I'm not saying Starship will be ready to roll waiting on SLS, but the 2024 date was always fanciful, and everything else is also not ready.

People also need to remember that the second place lander was National Team, and requires multiple NG flights—first flight is NET who knows (2024?). The CEO says the pacing item is Be-4 engines... So 2025 under the "not SpaceX" paradigm also not a thing.

Very nominal launch! :D

Remember the times when we felt anxiety before every landing? It's gone now - and it pleases me. :)

I'm glad to watch space flights becoming as non-exciting as airplane landings.