SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

6 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

What I mean to say is it is standard industry practice to do full thrust, full up(all engines), full flight duration(full length of an actual mission) static firings to flight qualify a rocket stage:

That's not a rocket stage. Raptors have had many such tests.

6 hours ago, Exoscientist said:

The fact the SH/SS keeps exploding in flight is evidence the SpaceX little 5 second burns are insufficient to qualify the Raptor for flight. Everyone acknowledges the engines on the N-1 were insufficiently tested. The elephant in the room everyone is ignoring is the same is true of the Raptor.

The 33 engines on SH performed perfectly on IFT-2. The failure was after the stage had done it's primary job, and was a failure that could not possibly have been found on a ground test (unless you are suggesting a sort of stand that allows the vehicle to somehow flip).

So the only concern is the ship. Presumably SpaceX has data that random guys on a game forum don't.

Edited by tater

1 hour ago, Exoscientist said:

The Saturn V development program resulted in spectacular successes. The Soviet N-1 program resulted in spectacular failures.

Robert Clark

People who say this are ignorant of the amount of F1 that went kaboom on the stand, especially when they were doing all up testing

1 hour ago, tater said:

F-1 had a lot of combustion instability issues and a bunch of engine explosions in testing for a couple years, but I don't think they had any catastrophic failures once on a vehicle stage (even in testing).

From what I gathered the F1 engines were each one offs given the amount of unique hand tuning and machining each received to get each one working.  They were far more unique working prototypes put into service than products from an assembly line. 

I read a thread awhile back based on the question "why not just build more F1 engines?" and the answer boiled down to the fact that the people who knew in detail what it took to get the on paper designs to actually function took their secrets to the grave in large part.  Combustion instability in such large chambers was a huge problem and each engine had its own hand tuned solution, among other finicky tunings

Edited by darthgently

Also we just don't do things the same way anymore even where the production drawings are explicit. We wouldn't braze a load of individual cooling pipes for instance, and would have a very hard time following any drawings calling for that. We'd 3d machine instead.

15 hours ago, tater said:

F-1 had a lot of combustion instability issues and a bunch of engine explosions in testing for a couple years, but I don't think they had any catastrophic failures once on a vehicle stage (even in testing).

F-1 did have a serious issue on one of the unmanned Apollo missions. They had recurring issues with "pogo" instability of the middle engine getting into resonance with the vibrational mode of the rocket structure. The fuel would slosh in the feed lines, driving a thrust instability. This would resonate with the structure that supported the middle engine. This was as much a structural issue as an engine issue. It got really bad on one mission (Apollo 6, IIRC), and would have done mission-critical damage if that had been an actual lunar attempt. They solved it for the first stage by injecting helium into the fuel system that damped the slosh.

Then on Apollo 13 they had a second-stage early engine shutdown for the same reason ("pogo" of the middle engine), and they had to fix that for later missions too.

Edited by mikegarrison

I imagine ECM's have come a long way in the 50 odd years since Apollo though. I'd imagine modern digital flight control can handle a mid 60's problem.

Edit, Just like VSV's, VBV's et al on modern turbofans. Engine technology, and especially engine control technology was in the stone age back then. There is no way a modern engine control infrastructure would not be able to sense pogo oscillations and adjust the pumps as required. You don't see modern airliners stalling their compressors all over the place like 1967, do you lol? (Its an analogy, I am aware, pogo oscillations are not the same as compressor stalls, however they are both a symptom of an engine control loop that cannot operate quickly enough to prevent both bad outcomes. IE an analogue computer. Or just in case analogue computers are technically fast enough, the specific analogue computers used in aerospace are used for their reliability qualities/power requirements, not necessarily the sheer processing ability.)

It would be nice if people could hold back on the wild speculations in between Starship flights. Just because it does not meet your personal expectations does not mean it is a failure.  Sorry, ban me, whatever, but it needs to be said.

Edited by Meecrob

2 hours ago, Meecrob said:

I imagine ECM's have come a long way in the 50 odd years since Apollo though. I'd imagine modern digital flight control can handle a mid 60's problem.

It's actually very difficult to tame coupled resonances like that, and mostly control systems just make sure that the engines transit through the danger zones rather than dwell there long enough for the resonance to set up.

8 hours ago, Meecrob said:

It would be nice if people could hold back on the wild speculations in between Starship flights.

We'll have another one to discuss soon enough I hope.

11 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

It's actually very difficult to tame coupled resonances like that, and mostly control systems just make sure that the engines transit through the danger zones rather than dwell there long enough for the resonance to set up.

Yes, this can even be an problems on ships, solution is to not cruise a that speed / engine rpm, just pass it and run at an higher speed. The problem is then the resonance happen at useful velocities like intended cruise speed or flank speed for an warship.  

On 12/31/2023 at 12:27 AM, Exoscientist said:

The fact the SH/SS keeps exploding in flight is evidence the SpaceX little 5 second burns are insufficient to qualify the Raptor for flight. Everyone acknowledges the engines on the N-1 were insufficiently tested. The elephant in the room everyone is ignoring is the same is true of the Raptor.

https://twitter.com/RGregoryClark/status/1700872620604891324/photo/

Bob Clark

But Starship isn't "certified for flight". It is in the testing phase. There is no issue with explosions right now because these are development flights.

What do you propose for correcting Starship? Ground tests? Cancellation?

On 1/2/2024 at 3:43 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Cancellation?

Of course, what is crossing my mind right now, regarding this ongoing discussion, is that it may be time for full disclosure by all parties engaged, about stock holdings IRL.

Just, you know...  to know.  Yeah?

@Exoscientist?

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

If you count each core launched, five FH launches makes 15 cores launched, for a total of 106 Falcon cores launched…

It's still just one launch for three cores.

Would a Delta IV heavy count as three?

Now, if you wanna count a Falcon Heavy as one launch and two landings, I would be on board with that.

18 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Of course, what is crossing my mind right now, regarding this ongoing discussion, is that it may be time for full disclosure by all parties engaged, about stock holdings IRL.

Just, you know...  to know.  Yeah?

@Exoscientist?

I don't know what you are talking about here. SpaceX is a private company, not a public one, so they don't have public shareholders they have to make disclosures to.

If you are alluding to some sort of self-dealing or other financial games, that can still be an issue with private companies.

If you mean that the mostly anonymous posters on this board need to reveal if they have a financial interest in the companies being discussed, that's ridiculous. I mean, so what if  they do? This isn't journalism; this is a forum for a computer game.

Edited by mikegarrison

27 minutes ago, mikegarrison said:

I don't know what you are talking about here. SpaceX is a private company, not a public one, so they don't have public shareholders they have to make disclosures to.

If you are alluding to some sort of self-dealing or other financial games, that can still be an issue with private companies.

If you mean that the mostly anonymous posters on this board need to reveal if they have a financial interest in the companies being discussed, that's ridiculous. I mean, so what if  they do? This isn't journalism; this is a forum for a computer game.

I'm pretty sure @Hotel26 was saying this in jest.

On 1/3/2024 at 10:41 AM, SunlitZelkova said:

I'm pretty sure @Hotel26 was saying this in jest.

"Top of the class, SZ!"

It wasn't the SpaceX boosters, I was joking about, either... 

Edited by Hotel26