SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

1 hour ago, Cracktacular said:

Dude, I'm joking. You really think Elon Musk conducts business based upon what is said on a message board? Get real

Wot?  Yeah, the joke was there.  Is there something wrong with pondering what they were actually up to? 

Edited by darthgently

3 minutes ago, Cracktacular said:

Sorry I didn't add a :valwink:In my reply, my bad.

No, I realized you were joking but was simply pondering what they were up to.  Adding an emoji would not have changed things.  I wasn’t offended by your joke, nor did it make me rotflmao.  It was a chuckle. But then I pondered what they may be actually up to which may be confusing if you were expecting a ROTFLMAO instead.  Textual communication can be such a tribulation 

7 minutes ago, darthgently said:

No, I realized you were joking but was simply pondering what they were up to.  Adding an emoji would not have changed things.  I wasn’t offended by your joke, nor did it make me rotflmao.  It was a chuckle. But then I pondered what they may be actually up to which may be confusing if you were expecting a ROTFLMAO instead.  Textual communication can be such a tribulation 

So you admit you replied to a joke with a serious answer, and are miffed when I didn't give you a serious answer back? I don't understand.

18 hours ago, AckSed said:

It's a bit like hearing that, oh, I don't know, Greyhound buses will start shipping their own robotic workers to the premises of the business that you work in. Since they own the transport company, they can charge ticket prices to themselves at cost, the business saves money and you're left competing with workers that do not get tired, need breaks or complain about working conditions. In desperation, you quit, then sign on with another company that designs and builds their own robots, but they've lost the first-mover advantage, the robot-worker market has already begun to race to the bottom and Greyhound worker-robots are frickdamned everywhere.

I would not be surprised if eventually the government orders Starlink and SpaceX ownership to be separated for anti-trust reasons.

17 hours ago, tater said:

The dealership thing is a grift designed by the dealerships.

It's more complicated than that. It has to do with anti-trust. When independent dealers started selling cars, the auto manufacturers tried to freeze them out to prevent the competition. Eventually states started passing laws to protect and eventually require independent ownership of the dealerships.

Arguably, it is now the dealerships who are using their leverage (particularly in state legislatures) to squeeze the manufacturers. But it started as a way to prevent the manufacturers from squeezing the independent dealers.