SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

13 minutes ago, CoreI said:

I wonder what benefits “very high retrothust” would provide.

Probably means a more efficient landing. The most efficient landing would be basically a suicide burn with all nine engines at full throttle, but that leaves very little margin for error.

Anyways, now that I think about it, there's a reason SpaceX would want to quickly retrieve the booster, preferably with in-house assets: so none of their trade secrets get exposed if somebody steals the booster from them.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

But in this case... doesn’t maritime salvage law kick in at some point? Could Jeff Bezos just pop up next to it in a submarine and be all, “dis mine now!”? 

After a while*, yes.

* : maybe a year

11 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Here was uninterested in this launch (because I'm all about the booster-landing fun)...and they go and do something amazing like this.

Well you didn't really miss anything because they didn't show it on the webcast and we only found out later.

1 hour ago, YNM said:

After a while*, yes.

* : maybe a year

Nope. Under the "Law of Salvage," the "salvor" (either by contract or implied agreement) is required to return what is found to the original owner in return for a reward based on a mix of: the degree of risk, the difficulty of recovery and the value of goods.  (This is not to say that he couldn't study during transit.)

What you are likely reaching for is the "Law of Finds."  This is what is commonly referred to as "Finders-Keepers".  Unfortunately for Bezos, he would have to prove the property was abandoned.

50 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Nope. Under the "Law of Salvage," the "salvor" (either by contract or implied agreement) is required to return what is found to the original owner in return for a reward based on a mix of: the degree of risk, the difficulty of recovery and the value of goods.  (This is not to say that he couldn't study during transit.)

What you are likely reaching for is the "Law of Finds."  This is what is commonly referred to as "Finders-Keepers".  Unfortunately for Bezos, he would have to prove the property was abandoned.

This, at least in Norway if something is obviously thrown away as garbage its free to claim, return spots for electronic is an nice place for computer parts :)

Maritime salvage is simply an payment for rescuing something who need rescue. Typically an ship who is about to sink or an boat who is loose. This stage would not apply as its getting towed back. 
If an spent stage sinks and its no plan for recovery it might be seen as trash so anybody can claim, not sure how this work. The law of finds is mostly about smaller stuff.

4 hours ago, cubinator said:

Lately on these controlled "expendable" flights I've been picturing the booster flying in a loop-de-loop before splashing down hard with a glorious explosion.

Next up: The Boring Company "Falcon 9" radio control set.

3 hours ago, TranceaddicT said:

Nope. Under the "Law of Salvage," the "salvor" (either by contract or implied agreement) is required to return what is found to the original owner (...) ...

What you are likely reaching for is the "Law of Finds."  This is what is commonly referred to as "Finders-Keepers".  ...

Well if that's the case your country has a pretty good maritime law then...

Some other country doesn't recognize your rights if it wasn't listed or continually kept. I think in the UK they had this problem for a sunken boat which has gone for very long, but because there wasn't anyone who continually kept it it's open to finders. The restorer had to kept the precise location secret - it's now a museum piece (I really forget the name). However, for registered boats with registered accidents and known end locations, there's a "receiver of wreck" which continues to own the ship.

8 hours ago, insert_name said:

I wonder what they are going to do with it? I doubt they can use it again as its maranized

They'll scrap it. It's a block 3 booster that has flown twice- they have no further use of it.

The only reason they're towing it back at all is because ITAR regulations force them to. (It wasn't destroyed -> it cannot be left where it is.)

8 hours ago, DAL59 said:

Wait... could a random guy just boat over to it and claim it as salvage?

No. Regardless of salvage laws, the military would slap you in this case, because ITAR. :P 

1 hour ago, Josh IN SPACE said:

Out of curiosity, how'd that SRB wind up in such relatively good shape? It surely didn't have the luxury of retrothrust upon return. Fascinating!

The Space Shuttle SRBs landed under parachute. They send divers to plug the nozzle and they pump the water out so they float then they just tow them back to the cape.

7 hours ago, CastleKSide said:

Didn't they call the loss of signal on the FS? I wonder whether that is a preprogrammed thing or was the transmitter/electronics damaged. I hope they release some stats on how damaged it is.

There's usually a temporary LOS on F1 at some point between the end of the entry burn and the start of the landing burn. Nominal.

3 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

There's usually a temporary LOS on F1 at some point between the end of the entry burn and the start of the landing burn. Nominal.

I think it's specifically a LOS to Cape Canaveral, what with it going under the horizon at that point.  The Second stage had a similar call given around the point of SECO, I think.

4 minutes ago, Jaff said:

Can I ask why everyone is so impressed with the booster picture in the sea?

surely they’ve just performed everything they normally do just without a barge underneath it?

Nearly everytime a booster impacts the ocean, it breaks up.  Even previous spacex tests that softlanded broke up when the rocket tipped over.  Not only was this flight done with three landing engines, so more precision required than with 1 engine, it also managed to set down so softly in the ocean that the stage survived tipping over.

look at 0:24 https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/ambXDKFZhN8

Edited by ment18

5 minutes ago, Jaff said:

Can I ask why everyone is so impressed with the booster picture in the sea?

surely they’ve just performed everything they normally do just without a barge underneath it?

SpaceX has done soft landings before, and every other time the booster tipped over and broke up upon impact. No one expected the booster to survive the tipover.