SpaceX Discussion Thread

Skylon

3 hours ago, tater said:

The delay on the next Starlik launch, and the holes in the SpaceX launch schedule...

I was wondering what was going on, but I bet it has to do with the whole Commercial Crew/Bridenstine kerfluffle. My guess? I think they're gonna hold Starlink launch until they fly MaxQ abort. Just for appearance sake. No "SpaceX" brand launches until they move on their main customer.

That's kind of an odd decision, if it's true. It's not like SpaceX's busy schedule hurts NASA's image in any significant way. I mean there are people who still think it's a SpaceX vs NASA competition, but that's a minority, right?

1 hour ago, Wjolcz said:

That's kind of an odd decision, if it's true. It's not like SpaceX's busy schedule hurts NASA's image in any significant way. I mean there are people who still think it's a SpaceX vs NASA competition, but that's a minority, right?

Maybe because they delayed Commercial Crew Program so much, they need to "show their committment".

The main reason is because their customers cannot build satellites faster than they can recycle rockets.

1 hour ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And they will be glorious... :cool:

...aaaaaaaand completely misrepresented by the mainstream media who still have only the vaguest idea which end needs to point to space at all... :P

Media: Boom=Bad

SpaceX: Boom=Experience.

Me: Boom=Adreline surge, kerbalness + 10000, an attempt to "accidentally" recreate the accident in ksp.

Edited by Xd the great

4 hours ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

And they will be glorious... :cool:

...aaaaaaaand completely misrepresented by the mainstream media who still have only the vaguest idea which end needs to point to space at all... :P

It's amazing how many times I have to remind people how many Atlases we blew up on the pad, before we got one to fly.

3 minutes ago, Nothalogh said:

It's amazing how many times I have to remind people how many Atlases we blew up on the pad, before we got one to fly.

Not to mention how many pads i had blow up before I got one to land!

1 hour ago, Nothalogh said:

Well...technically 0.

The first Atlas to launch actually did fly, although it had an early flight failure.  In fact, all 8 of the Atlas A flight articles flew, with 4 of them having some sort of flight failure cutting the burn time short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65A_Atlas

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

Well...technically 0.

The first Atlas to launch actually did fly, although it had an early flight failure.  In fact, all 8 of the Atlas A flight articles flew, with 4 of them having some sort of flight failure cutting the burn time short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SM-65A_Atlas

I swear there was one that blasted itself to smithereens because oxyliquit formed in the flame trench from a failed start, which was then detonated on the subsequent successful ignition.

2 hours ago, Nothalogh said:

Maybe there weren't any that blew up on the pad before the first one flew, but plenty would blow up their pads after the missile was operational. There is, of course, that one Atlas-Agena that lost tank pressure and just kind of crumpled, with the pad destroyed by the explosion of the upper stage impacting the ground. Three Atlas test missiles blew up on the pad after main engine start, probably due to a peculiar combustion instability in the engines that had a tendency to destroy injector heads. Also, I'm fairly sure that there was an Atlas-Centaur that fell back onto the pad and exploded within a second of launch after the engines were terminated by a faulty abort system.

Though if you want a track record of blowing up on the pad and otherwise malfunctioning horribly, you need look no further than the train wreck that was Atlas-Able. Five were built, total. Of those, two blew up on the pad during static fires and the remaining three all suffered launch failures due to catastrophic malfunctions in the booster, upper stage, and fairing.

2 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Maybe there weren't any that blew up on the pad before the first one flew, but plenty would blow up their pads after the missile was operational. There is, of course, that one Atlas-Agena that lost tank pressure and just kind of crumpled, with the pad destroyed by the explosion of the upper stage impacting the ground. Three Atlas test missiles blew up on the pad after main engine start, probably due to a peculiar combustion instability in the engines that had a tendency to destroy injector heads. Also, I'm fairly sure that there was an Atlas-Centaur that fell back onto the pad and exploded within a second of launch after the engines were terminated by a faulty abort system.

Though if you want a track record of blowing up on the pad and otherwise malfunctioning horribly, you need look no further than the train wreck that was Atlas-Able. Five were built, total. Of those, two blew up on the pad during static fires and the remaining three all suffered launch failures due to catastrophic malfunctions in the booster, upper stage, and fairing.

How do you have a catastrophic launch failure because of a fairing?

Spoiler
6 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Media: Boom=Bad

SpaceX: Boom=Experience.

Me: Boom=Adreline surge, kerbalness + 10000, an attempt to "accidentally" recreate the accident in ksp.

"Sometimes a boom is just a boom." (c) Dr. Freud.

50 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

How do you have a catastrophic launch failure because of a fairing?

CoM offset