Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

Posted (edited)

Just happened to look at this thread about 20 seconds before ignition.  It's kind of cringe inducing.  "Astronauts" going to "space"... yeah whatever.  More like some rich [diminutive of Richard]s going on a glorified carnival ride in a rocket that looks like a [diminutive of Richard]. I mean "Let’s light this candle"? Give me a break... Using a phrase of that historical significance for this flight is super pretentious. 

Edited by PakledHostage

7 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

I mean "Let’s light this candle"? Give me a break... Using a phrase of that historical significance for this flight is super pretentious. 

To be fair, "Fix your little problem and light this candle" is an Alan Shepard quote—before his suborbital spaceflight. It's actually appropriate here, and the rocket is literally named for Shepard.

But yes, the coverage is cringe inducing.

I suppose it is part of what the actual customers are paying for, however. To THEM, it's cool, not cringe, and a record of their flight.

They had a chute not fully deploy

9 minutes ago, tater said:

To be fair, "Fix your little problem and light this candle" is an Alan Shepard quote—before his suborbital spaceflight. It's actually appropriate here, and the rocket is literally named for Shepard.

Fair enough, but there's a lot of historical context associated with the original usage of that phrase that doesn't apply here, and that's what makes using it pretentious. 

13 minutes ago, PakledHostage said:

Fair enough, but there's a lot of historical context associated with the original usage of that phrase that doesn't apply here, and that's what makes using it pretentious. 

Well, nearly all of them have unplanned holds, so sort of applies :D

One of the customers should say that after sitting around an extra half hour

14 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

One chute didn't open, but the ship had insurance, and the prayers of the insurance agency have put it softly on ground.

As I understand one chute is backup, landing will be rougher but fine if one fails. Reason to have 3-4 of them

53 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

As I understand one chute is backup, landing will be rougher but fine if one fails. Reason to have 3-4 of them

Yes. Better 4.

Spoiler

For luck.

ghows-LK-3f1cf7f4-74a9-42b1-ae8e-652e0b5

1 hour ago, Deddly said:

That is as imaginative as the name given to a very large telescope called the Very Large Telescope.

The VLA would like a word...

pniukXE.jpeg

On 5/30/2024 at 1:25 PM, CatastrophicFailure said:

Missed a golden opportunity here to call it New Evergiven, New Billy O’Tea, New Istanbul-Not-Constantinople, anything better. :huh:

If we are going with previous people that were the first Americans to do something space related that this vehicle is doing then wouldn't  the proper name  be New Musk? :D

• 2 weeks later...

BO angling for that NSSL money again: https://arstechnica.com/space/2024/06/blue-origin-joins-spacex-and-ula-in-new-round-of-military-launch-contracts/

The focus here seems to be on responsiveness (or perhaps a sniff-check), with the Lane 1 requirement that they have to be available to launch 6.3 tons within a 90-day period.