Blue Origin thread.

Vanamonde

18 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

They are called Blue Origin after all :rolleyes:

I'm totally joking here, but you wanna pull the plug on SLS and Starship, but this one you approve of? I'm just razzing you, I'm not gonna tell you the opinion you should have.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, darthgently said:

I can't remember.  Is New Glenn meant to be reusable?  Hope so.  Too good a fit and finish (apparently) to throw away.  Like the name also.

Yes. Always has been reusable stage 1. Bezos said years ago all BO rockets would be human rated as well.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Flight article.

S/N 1 is called "Freedom"

GDfYvSOXYAAa05y?format=jpg&name=large

Quire some beefy internal framing there. Aluminium but still beefy, not the normal setup with just ribs or milled out support. I assume this is an test tank for stuff like the can crusher for starship because all the sensors and stuff.

9 hours ago, tater said:

S/N

Instead of serial numbers (S/N), BO should use bureau numbers (BuNo) like the Navy in WWII. But of course there is no BO bureau, so call them BO numbers, or BONo for short.

Edited by SunlitZelkova

5 hours ago, Spaceception said:

Woah. New Glenn exists. This looks good!

A lot of people are thinking that this is flight hardware, and the "not for flight" pieces are just that, and will be replaced soon-ish.

Spoiler

The One Piece Is Real by HerrKeinervomNirgend Sound Effect - Tuna

1 hour ago, sevenperforce said:

Have they downgraded the New Glenn second stage to a single BE-3U, or am I missing something?

Bad image crop in tweet:

GDljhrDWEAAx1fb?format=jpg

Edited by tater

IFAIK we've identified no pad or barge hardware and their ship has been sold so probably not, but then this is BO so something might materialise out of nowhere.

I'd assume not for now though.

4 hours ago, RCgothic said:

IFAIK we've identified no pad or barge hardware and their ship has been sold so probably not, but then this is BO so something might materialise out of nowhere.

I'd assume not for now though.

It makes sense to do an water landing the first times to verify that it works well.  

The early statements from BO were "we'll recover New Glenn from the first flight" to which everyone's response was "believe it when I see it".

As said, they no longer have any recovery assets so it looks like they've walked back from that statement, and trying a few test landings over water first would indeed be prudent.

On 1/11/2024 at 9:37 PM, Spaceception said:

Woah. New Glenn exists. This looks good!

A lot of people are thinking that this is flight hardware, and the "not for flight" pieces are just that, and will be replaced soon-ish.

My guess is that its for handling and integration testing. Perhaps fueling and pressurization. Pretty common to have. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...