KSP Interstellar Extended Continued Development Thread

FreeThinker

Thanks. I wasn't aware this was caused by KSPI since, it doesn't use this node at all. But now that you mentioned it, it does appear KSPI alter the command module parent. NOt exactly clear why. Either way, I will fix it in the next patch

I advice you to test the tree after you fix the patch because I've tried to remove the node's parent definition but it still looked wrong. Seems like there's something else about it.

After playing with KSPI for a while, I have found several spelling mistakes in the part names and descriptions:

- Inertial COnfinement Fusion Reactor -> Inertial Confinement Fusion Reactor

- Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet description: (bold text for spelling mistake)

Similiar Similar to a chemical turbojet, except the cumbustion combustion chamber has been replaced by a nuclear reactor heating the air and driving the turbine. Since it does not rely on chemical combustion, flight time is unlimited and the engine will work in oxygenless atmospheres. The only downside is the mass added by the heavy reactor shielding. It includes an build in precooler and air intakes.

But its just some minor mistakes though, its alright. Now, how do I get the upgraded reactors in sandbox mode?

Version 1.5.12 for Kerbal Space Program 1.0.4

Released on 2015-10-14

• Replaced old Magnetic nozzle by realistic magnetic nozzle by Trolllception
  • Added radial Hexaborane fuel canister
  • KSPI Jet performance is overall affected by Jet Technology
  • Turbojet Isp is made static, which significantly improves performance in lower atmosphere
  • Turbojet radius effect is updated at real time, allowing more effective construction of VTOL craft
  • BZ-52 Radial Attachment Point only has 10% loss of efficiency then normal, allowing more effective VTOL construction

The new realistic Magnetic Nozzle my Trollception:

7HdL6gb.png

Edited by FreeThinker

After I downloaded this mod and placed it into my game data folder. I started up KSP and it just keeps loading and says warpplugin/parts/engines/KANDL/KANDL/kspinuclearcandle and it just stays there for so long and nothing happens. Any ideas on how to fix it? my ksp didnt freeze because it keeps updating the status bar ie: recruiting kerbals... adding more boosters... etc.

ATTILA still better at takeoff, and on high speed (that was expected corresponding changes)

but worse in range ~ 150-900m/s.

funny that PLASMA on 9.4MW (which is very high tec of course but still) has

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]Hydrogen[/TD]

[TD]68KN[/TD]

[TD]11200s[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]liquidFuel[/TD]

[TD]254KN[/TD]

[TD]2054s[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]atmosphere[/TD]

[TD]161KN[/TD]

[TD]~3000s[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

for comparison turbojet on 35.8 MW (sorry different energy source, magnetic fusion here)

[TABLE=width: 500]

[TR]

[TD]liquidFuel[/TD]

[TD]980K (257KN)[/TD]

[TD]3458s[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]atmosphere[/TD]

[TD]800->2700->100K[/TD]

[TD]1236s[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

((257KN) would be on 9.4MW)

i.e. turbojet BETTER THAN PLASMA on liquidFuel in space,

but much worse than PLASMA in upper atmosphere on high speed.

(>10 times on speed >2150m/s)

(and as i pointed before worse than ATTILA ~2.5 times on speed >1500m/s)

3300 m/s (surface speed in atmosphere, using atmosphere as propellant) is reachable with combination ATTILA + plasma on plane which turbojet can't even takeoff from ground.

Edited by okder

notice that that although high Isp for turbojet lowers maximum thrust, it also should allow you to fly higher, and therefore effectively allows you to reach higher speed and save more propellant.

One thing I noticed while testing is that especialy with Low temperature reactors like the JUMBO, it can generatre so much thrust (and thereo fuel flow), it get's starved by Atmosphere when rapidly assending.

Therefore the limiting factor becomes atmosphere Intake speed, not power.

- - - Updated - - -

After playing with KSPI for a while, I have found several spelling mistakes in the part names and descriptions:

- Inertial COnfinement Fusion Reactor -> Inertial Confinement Fusion Reactor

- Direct Cycle Nuclear Turbojet description: (bold text for spelling mistake)

But its just some minor mistakes though, its alright. Now, how do I get the upgraded reactors in sandbox mode?

Thanks, I used your fixes. Btw, a lot of KSPI part could use better descriptions. If you (or anyone else) could create some good/funny/informative descriptions, I will integrate them.

- - - Updated - - -

I advice you to test the tree after you fix the patch because I've tried to remove the node's parent definition but it still looked wrong. Seems like there's something else about it.

I Did and it seemed to have been fix, thank you.

Edited by FreeThinker

FreeThinker,

Did you catch the potential bug I commented about on pg 345. It was the last post and I know how those tend to get missed.

If required, I can see about producing additional data.

Weird, I had some similar problems in the past with the Fusion reactors. Could you try to reproduce it with other reactors?

notice that that although high Isp for turbojet lowers maximum thrust, it also should allow you to fly higher, and therefore effectively allows you to reach higher speed and save more propellant.

when i did test ATTILA i got real 1770KN thrust on speed 2100 m/s i.e. it was enough intake atmosphere for it, so was for turbojet on same plane (i already did post screenshot, again turbojet got only ~200KN on same plane on 2100 m/s, using all reactor power), best of all is plasma thruster, which is using much less atmosphere (as propellant) and gives 611KN on any speed (which in turn allows to get 3300m/s surface speed).

i.e. you could ignore turbojet air branch and go for plasma thruster instead, and you still would having better ground->orbit atmospheric propellant flying ability with it.

i.e. balance problem turbojet still useless (because plasma brunch is better).

Edited by okder

@FreeThinker:

Saw the name of the module you used to make the BZ-52 work for thermal transport (over on the Starlion Industries thread).

Would you consider adding that (ThermalPowerTransport) to at least the thermal generator, if not both generators?

Seeing thermal nozzle efficiency go down because the thermal power went thru a generator (especially a thermal generator which is designed to transport heat efficiently) has been quite puzzling, to say the least.

@okder:

You know, it still doesn't make sense that ALL the electric engines can use Atmosphere in the first place, right?

Electric engines IRL don't run well (if at all) at high atmospheric pressures.

By "not well" I mean terrible thrust (less than 1 kN) and specific impulse (less than 100s).

Electric engines in-game should behave similarly. In space they're pretty well balanced right now IMO.

The ATTILA is the only possible exception to this, but it gets comparatively terrible specific impulse on all propellants.

IMO it's not supposed to get super high thrust because of it's terrible specific impulse. It's supposed to be pretty inefficient by most measures.

Reducing the "Maximum power consumption" of the ATTILA to 1/4 of its current value would probably solve the "OP in atmosphere" problem.

If my assumptions are right, tweaking that parameter is what tweaks the max thrust of a KSPI engine, and that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

Edited by SciMan

@FreeThinker:

Saw the name of the module you used to make the BZ-52 work for thermal transport (over on the Starlion Industries thread).

Would you consider adding that (ThermalPowerTransport) to at least the thermal generator, if not both generators?

Seeing thermal nozzle efficiency go down because the thermal power went thru a generator (especially a thermal generator which is designed to transport heat efficiently) has been quite puzzling, to say the least.

Sounds like a good suggestion

Edited by FreeThinker

Reducing the "Maximum power consumption" of the ATTILA to 1/4 of its current value would probably solve the "OP in atmosphere" problem.

If my assumptions are right, tweaking that parameter is what tweaks the max thrust of a KSPI engine, and that's exactly what I'm trying to do.

no because spaceplane mass levels of magnitude more than ATTILA mass, i.e. you would just scale up (or just place more of) ATTILA (at least with NFT), and nothing really changes.

i.e. general solution is if we do accept that ATTILA/plasma engine performance is possible, then we need

1. to improve turbojet performance

(by requiring for it some electricity (up to 20%), and enhancing low speed thrust by lowering ISP, and high speed thrust/ISP, i.e. make it partially operate like Plasma engine)

2. making separate cooled atmosphere resource, that produce by precoolers, which do consume a lot of power (should depends of airspeed), and requiring that ATTILA/plasma engines requires that resource instead of raw atmosphere,

turbojet(late techs version, may require plasma tech as well) so will require 4 resources to run on full thrust:

1. atmosphere (not precooled)

2. cooled atmosphere (to enhance thrust by channeling more propellant inside engine)

3. electricity (to maintain magnetic fields for correct flow of all plasma/propellants)

4. thermal power to heat propellants to temperature needed.

Edited by okder

More realistic air intake, would be the best solution, but for now I want a quick and easy solution

Instead of making it impossible, I think I will just reduce the efficency of Atmosphere as a electric propellant.

Edited by FreeThinker

Got a little issue with my mega-millions space station. I built it on 10-4 from what I can tell, and it flew around, I docked some stuff to it, everything cool. I've updated KSPI, AZAB's KSPI Mk2 expansion, and the Interstellar Fuel Switch since then with pretty minor updates. But I went to dock up a plane Friday night, and this happens:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CD76E5B606E9BFBE!500889&authkey=!AGZo4CAiOTpiuxY&ithint=file%2cmp4

It just violently shakes until something breaks. I guess the radial attachment points to the science labs is the weakest point, so at least one of them has to pop off before it settles back down. I've tried time-warping a bit, not time warping, turning on and off RCS and SAS, I just don't know what to do. It's like a Kraken, but no way for me to stop it.

Any thoughts? Much appreciated. That thing took like all of my moneys to get up there.

I just want you to know that I experienced the same thing on a ship by recently created. I tracked down my issue to clipping between the radial lithium tanks and some heat radiators I had on the side when they were fully extended they clipped into lithium tanks and cause the same thing. For some reason reloading the game enough times eliminated this issue long enough for me to retract the radiators and save the ship. This issue definitely comes up though after you save the game exit and reload.

- - - Updated - - -

More realistic air intake, would be the best solution, but for now I want a quick and easy solution

Instead of making it impossible, I think I will just reduce the efficency of Atmosphere as a electric propellant.

I think this would be an excellent near-term compromise. Values of atmosphere in electric engines did create a mild imbalance and does streign the idea of credibility. I always just assumed that you could say somewhere inside the ship was the correct things to liquify and then transfer to the engine the atmosphere in super compressed form. I'm personally going to continue using radial scoops because they seem the most realistic option for atmospheric propellant use and run my engines on liquid nitrogen. (Also saves me from being forced to switch propellants as a bonus )

Edited by Profit-

Does the download include all the dependencies you listed? I wouldn't really want to have to go on a huge hunt for all of the dependencies and hope for the best that they don't break anything.

It is against many mods terms of use, not to mention downright rude, to include another persons mods without permission. It also causes issues where you have to update the other mods every time you update yours. Then there is also the filesize issue. I believe he has included all dependency mods he has permission from their authors to include in the mod though.

I need some help with the heat management. I have Interstellar Extended and Deadly Reentry, FAR, procedural parts, USI, KIS, infernal robotics, and several smaller mods. I read the wiki and had no need for radiators with any small vehicles made of mainly small stock parts. Went to the moons and collected all the science, no radiators needed.

Then I launched a large station station made of a lot of USI parts, with Rhino engines and no radiators. Engines dont overheat but the USI parts explode within a few hours after leaving atmosphere. I put on different kinds of radiators but didn't fix the problem.

I gave up on the station then tried to build a medium sized ship to launch interplanetary probes with Skipper engines. The engines keep exploding within a couple minutes, with different kinds of radiators on the procedural fuel tank. Strangely, Mainsail engines didnt need radiators and didn't overheat.

Something that seems off is that waste heat is mentioned in the wiki, and I see the green bar in some parts. But it's always 0. The K and MW values on radiators rarely change and if they do it's so very little. It also seems like the temp on adjacent parts conduct heat extremely slowly, so maybe very little of the heat is reaching the radiators.

Anyone have ideas on what's wrong? I'm thinking maybe I installed the mods incorrectly or have a bugged copy of KSP.

Update: I think it's USI Kolonisation, one of the parts makes everythiing else overheat at the same time. Not sure why or if I can reproduce it yet.

Edited by holedoor

...(crop)

Then I launched a large station station made of a lot of USI parts, with Rhino engines and no radiators. Engines dont overheat but the USI parts explode within a few hours after leaving atmosphere. I put on different kinds of radiators but didn't fix the problem.

I gave up on the station then tried to build a medium sized ship to launch interplanetary probes with Skipper engines. The engines keep exploding within a couple minutes, with different kinds of radiators on the procedural fuel tank. Strangely, Mainsail engines didnt need radiators and didn't overheat.

Something that seems off is that waste heat is mentioned in the wiki, and I see the green bar in some parts. But it's always 0. (crop)...

Are you using the extendable radiators, afaik they are the only ones that actively pump heat from other parts on your craft to disperse the heat away from your craft.

waste heat is a resource used to simulate the problems of heat buildup over a long period of time, mainly from reactors and microwave sources... if your waste heat is zero, that is a good thing, it means that your radiators are enough to deal with that issue. Not too sure what that green bar is about, unless it's the squad heat mechanic bars you mean? squad heat mechanic is mostly dealt with by extendable radiators, or install a mod called Heat Management at http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/118189 it has support for both KSPIE waste heat and squad heat mechanics in it :)

if none of this is helpful then please supply more information, pics/logs so that we can advice better.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.