[1.3] NavBallTextureChanger v1.6 (8/7/17)

I thought I should contribute a bit to express my appreciation for this mod.

I prefer a very small navball but at that size, the numbers become so small, they're almost useless.  I wanted a navball that didn't need alphanumerics.  So for each hemisphere, I tinted three latitude bands (two centered on 60 degrees and 30 degrees) so that darker is "downward" and lighter is "upward."  The horizon and 45 degree latitudes have a dashed line alternating at 10 degree increments.  For the cardinal points, the standard red longitude is used for north with "go" green (east), gold (west), and white (south).

Here's how it looks in action.

7bFQAgk.png

The navball.png file.

qohPCxG.png

And because I was tinkering, I created a greyscale version.  Since there's no sky/ground delineation, the -15 to +15 band could be one combined shade.  It's not my style but I figured I'd share it here, too.

GSHO1Rp.png

2 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

Theres no file inside of where there should be one for the mod to actually work, right now its just a useless folder. Am I doing something wrong?

Yes, you are.. you need to choose, download and install one of the many custom textures that are provided or linked to throughout this thread. Or you can make your own, of course.

(Or you can do what I did.. download all of 'em, then test them out to see which one you like best.)

Edited by JAFO

5 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

I like the green one best, but I want it with the compass headings.

Which one are you referring to? The green ones I see have compass headings.. (unless I'm not looking properly)

If there are no headings marked, you may need to edit it yourself, using a graphics editor such as GIMP, and use your customised version.

4 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

https://imgur.com/a/UdvXu

That is what I see every time I try to edit the Settings file. Its not even there.

Then you're probably not following the instructions in the OP correctly. As it says:

1. Place the NavBallTextureReplacer folder into your GameData folder
  2. Run the game. Enter flight scene in any ship.
  3. Exit KSP. Edit the config file inside NavBallTextureChanger/PluginData/NavBallTextureChanger/settings.cfg to your liking.

You need to run the game, then enter an in-flight scene using any ship. Then exit KSP. Those steps are required for the settings.cfg file to be created.

Edited by JAFO

On 12/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, Pavel ☭ said:

@TheRagingIrishman

A few of those navballs in the library have emissive maps, but they are not there.
For example, here is @Trekky0623 's navball emissive map:

<snip>

Thanks for this!

The only other emissive map that's missing is the one by @Zasnold. (Note that Zasnold's primary texture on page 1 of this thread is actually a .png file with an incorrect extension (.jpg). All that needs doing is changing the extension to .png. His emissive map texture has the same problem, but I've corrected it in the copy below.)

So here it is:

ZqltjqV.png

Edited by JAFO
re-added image

On 4/5/2018 at 10:50 AM, Lego_Prodigy said:

I like the green one best, but I want it with the compass headings.

Combine the first one with the headings of the the second one in yellow.

Like this, you mean?

jBqBkL5.png

Note that the above is rough as guts, because I'm lazy, and because I don't have access to the original layered image. Also some blame has to be laid on the fact that I'm not a graphics-type person, merely an IT tech who knows some very basic image editing techniques. All I did was combine the two images, using some judicious erasing and recolouring.. @5thHorseman, who presumably still has the original layer data, could do a far better job.

However, at the scale of a navball onscreen, the numerous faults with the above image probably shouldn't be too noticeable.

Edited by JAFO
re-added image

34 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

YES thats what I wanted! thank you! also, small issue: I don't know what I can use to edit that kind of file.

Cool.. glad to be of help.

What I used to do it was the freeware graphics program called GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program). It's almost as powerful as Photoshop, but without the ridiculously high-powered price.

How I did it was import both images as layers, then on the layer with the headings, erased everything except the parts I wanted to keep. With that overlaying the primary image, I then recoloured the headings to match the primary image. Not perfectly, as if you look closely you'll notice some very light blue and brown pixels around the edges of the circles. This is what I meant by being lazy.. no way was I going to the effort of re-colouring all those individual pixels in assorted light shades of grey and green as needed. When done I "flattened" the image (turned it back into a single layer) and saved it.

If you want to touch up the image further, GIMP would do the job nicely. You'll be spending a lot of time zoomed way in, touching up individual pixels though... and like all powerful programs, it's not always easy to learn to use. Good luck!

Alternatively, (assuming you're on Windows) you might take a look at the freeware program paint.net. It's not as powerful as GIMP (and therefore it's easier to use), but it's a lot better than Microsoft Paint.

Edit: I just remembered you're using a Mac.. so paint.net isn't an option, unfortunately, but GIMP is available for OS X, so my recommendation for you would be GIMP.

Edited by JAFO

2 hours ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

That did nothing to it....

How do I add that texture you gave me in the chat?

Ok.. first of all, you do actually have a settings.cfg file in the folder now, yes?

If not, follow the instructions in the OP to generate one, as I mentioned to you earlier.

Next start up TextEdit, then tell it to open a file (don't recall the details of how to do that, haven't used a Mac in ages) and browse to GameData\NavBallTextureChanger\PluginData\NavBallTextureChanger where the settings.cfg file is located, and open it. You should then be able to add the filename (without the extension); again, as per the instructions in the OP, and when done, save the file.

To add the texture, you need to copy the downloaded image into the GameData\NavBallTextureChanger\Skins folder.

When done, (assuming you haven't changed the filename I gave to the custom navball image), your settings.cfg file should look like this:

_navballTexture
{
	TextureUrl = merged-navball
	EmissiveUrl = 
	EmissiveColor = 0.375999987,0.375999987,0.375999987,1
	Flight = True
	Iva = True
}

Edited by JAFO

42 minutes ago, Lego_Prodigy said:

THANK YOU! IT LOOKS GREAT!

It does indeed look great!

And you're very welcome.. your obvious excitement has put a smile on my face too.. :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.