Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

37 minutes ago, DDE said:

The Russian press is absolutely illiterate: "Luna-25 enters the orbit of Earth's satellite"

https://iz.ru/1559881/2023-08-16/stantciia-luna-25-vyshla-na-orbitu-sputnika-zemli?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=mobile

It is almost true if you consider orbit around the Moon a kind of epicycle orbit of the Moon around the Earth 

https://3dnews.ru/1091654/megplanetnaya-stantsiya-luna25-sdelala-perviy-snimok-poverhnosti-sputnika-zemli

It has photographed Zeeman crater near the (current) South Pole, and measured gammas and neutrons.

Spoiler

899.jpg

P.S.
Who knows, what will people be calling "South Pole" after its landing...

Spoiler

Edited by kerbiloid

On 8/18/2023 at 5:14 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Somovsk, Lazarevsk Oblast, Luna ASSR

[Snip]

The Perestroika era was very different than WWII Germany fighting to the bitter end.  And the WWW was an infant in the cradle.  Not fertile ground for memes

On 8/17/2023 at 12:28 PM, kerbiloid said:

The Moon has been put on epicycloid orbit of Luna-25 satellite.

In Russia the satellite doesn't orbit the Moon!  The Moon epicycles around Russian satellite!  Da!  

Edited by James Kerman
Quote redacted by a moderator

8 hours ago, darthgently said:

In Russia the satellite doesn't orbit the Moon!  The Moon epicycles around Russian satellite!  Da!  

You got it wrong comrade. Both Luna-25 and the Moon itself are orbiting Russia. The spacecraft just has a weird epicycloid orbit, for now.

On 8/19/2023 at 3:39 AM, sh1pman said:

You got it wrong comrade. Both Luna-25 and the Moon itself are orbiting Russia. The spacecraft just has a weird epicycloid orbit, for now.

The Moon is on epicycloid orbit around Luna-25, as well. The Sun around the Earth, btw, too.

Luna-25 is primary epicycloid satellite, the Moon is the secondary one.
Combination of two nested epicycloids makes the Moon orbit look elliptic.

[Snip]

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=56165.0

Jupiter is planned for Zeus, why go there before?

[Snip]

P.S.
Meanwhile, the main goal of Luna-25 has been already achieved.

Modified 1F has reached LLO, performing several ignitions, engaging all engines, after decades of waiting.

If it successfully lands, it will be a splendid bonus.

It's important, that 1F doesn't have a pressurized command pod, its electronics is vacuumproof.

This makes it potentially long-term in space.

Edited by James Kerman
Quotes and reply redacted by a moderator

https://www.interfax.ru/russia/916940

Luna-25  has registered a micrometeoroid hit with the PmL tool, which is for meqasuring the levitatinng dust and plasma at the lunar surface.

The neutronic & gamma spectrometer (H)ADRON-LR has measured the lunar ground spectrum.

The ionic energy-mass analyzer ARIES-L has measured the near-polar lunar ionosphere and defined optimal parameters to measure more.

The stereo photos from two cameras have allowed to bind the view to the  3d model of the lunar landscape.

Completely 3rd hand info that originated from Telegram, so absolutely treat it as a rumor, but there's information that the orbit change burn lasted 50% longer than it was supposed to. I don't think I need to explain to anyone here what the consequences are if this is true. It's not much, but given complete radio silence from the official sources, I'm not optimistic for re-established communication.

5 hours ago, K^2 said:

Completely 3rd hand info that originated from Telegram, so absolutely treat it as a rumor, but there's information that the orbit change burn lasted 50% longer than it was supposed to. I don't think I need to explain to anyone here what the consequences are if this is true.

Essentially, confirmed a minute ago. Complete loss of comms, presumed crash.

https://t.me/roscosmos_gk/10540

[Snip]

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

Now that it's official.

Напрасно Росскосмос ждет связи с Луной, / Rosscosmos awaits the contact from Luna in vain,
Им скажут, они - зарыдают. / They will be informed, and they will sob.
А радиоволны одна за одной, / And the radio waves, one after the other,
В безмерную даль убегают. / Run off into the immeasurable distance.

(Sung to the tune of Раскинулось Море Широко / Sea is Spread Wide)

Oh, confirmation:

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/russias-moon-mission-falters-after-problem-entering-pre-landing-orbit-2023-08-20/

Russia's Luna-25 smashes into moon in failure

MOSCOW, Aug 20 (Reuters) - Russia's first moon mission in 47 years failed after its Luna-25 space craft spun out of control and smashed into moon.

Russia's state space corporation, Roskosmos, said it had lost contact with the craft shortly after a problem occurred as the craft was shunted into pre-landing orbit on Saturday.

"The apparatus moved into an unpredictable orbit and ceased to exist as a result of a collision with the surface of the Moon," Roskosmos said in a statement.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&hl=ru&u=https://www.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/20/08/2023/64e1c4109a79478573323a4e&client=webapp

It has rammed the Moon. So, it's an impactor.

Roskosmos estimated the probability of mission success at 70% , in July, NPO Lavochkin, which developed the device, announced an 80% chance of success . At the same time, Russian astronomer Vladimir Surdin, in an interview with RIA Novosti, estimated the probability of completing the mission according to plan at 50% due to the complexity of the flight. “If she sits down, then she’s very lucky,” Ivan Moiseev, head of the Space Policy Institute, told the BBC.

So, it's a partial success from any point of view.

[Snip]

Just another craft crashed into the Moon, that's alll what happened. Not the first, not the last.
It even had been for several days a successfully working orbiter.
But I share your anxiety about the future of the Israeli space program after having crashed their high-tech Beresh'it.
The exploding Starships also don't make the way to Mars shorter.

Currently cruise hypersonic ramjets are in trend, the Moon is a bonus, you are held captive by false priorities.
It's anyway nothing to do there until fusion reactors. So, a delay means nothing.

Edited by James Kerman
Quotes and replies redacted by a moderator

20 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

So, it's a partial success from any point of view.

Yeah, Soyuz-Fregat still works. But we knew that already. The only part that Luna-25 managed to demonstrate conclusively is a capture burn by an S5.154 KTD engine, which is also a modification of a Fregat engine, by the way. Unfortunately, we have no idea how precise that was, since capture orbit parameters have only been announced after the capture. So again, this is really just a demonstration that S5 first made in 1988 is a good design, and Rosscosmos still has equipment capable of matching that of the late 80s USSR factories. I'm glad they still have people who know how to run a manual lathe.

So yes, all the old, Soviet hardware worked as expected. Anything that was actually new on this mission and wasn't in the category of things that could be done with a Raspberry Pi and a Radioshack Electronic Sensors Lab kit, has been a failure. Namely, entering a strictly pre-determined pre-landing orbit, and then performing a landing at a designated site. That was the Luna-25 mission. Everything else is sugar for PR.

And yes, failures happen. Learning from mistakes and trying again is part of the industry. But patting oneself on the back and calling this a partial success is peak apologist behavior. It's bad manners, bad image, and leads to bad decisions down the line.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:38 PM, steve9728 said:

Well, although I hate the way that guy presented but...

As much as I hate this idea of "curse", and as much as I wish sincerely that there can have a country or an organization that could "break the curse". But... I don't think there's anything I can say against it from an objective point of view. Hope India can make it.