Russian Launch and Mission Thread

tater

I just realized that I had never watched a live docking before.  :blush:

Three questions...  maybe n00b-level, but curiosity overrides...

1.  On final approach, the [Kurs antenna?] of the station appeared to be vibrating/flickering.  Really happened or a video artifact?

2.  Just after contact, the docking camera appeared to slew around to the left (to the point where I wondered if docking had been unsuccessful).  What was that?

3.  I couldn't tell which port MS 08 docked at from the video feed... was it Pirs or Poisk?   Space.com reports that it was Poisk.

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

17 minutes ago, MaxwellsDemon said:

2.  Just after contact, the docking camera appeared to slew around to the left (to the point where I wondered if docking had been unsuccessful).  What was that?

When the Soyuz first captures with the station, the only thing connecting the two is the little arm at the end of the nose. The spacecraft wobbles around for a minute as it settles into place (this was mentioned in the broadcast) and then pulls itself in to a hard mate.

I had the sound off so my boss wouldn't think I was doing something other than work.  :D

I knew that about the docking procedure in theory, but I didn't realize the motion was so pronounced in reality...

Edited by MaxwellsDemon

7 hours ago, cubinator said:

When the Soyuz first captures with the station, the only thing connecting the two is the little arm at the end of the nose. The spacecraft wobbles around for a minute as it settles into place (this was mentioned in the broadcast) and then pulls itself in to a hard mate.

Videos here

2 hours ago, tater said:

Which, as best as I can tell, says:

On March 28, the Progress-MS-07 cargo vehicle was undocked with the International Space Station. The re-entry and splashdown of uncombusted fragments in the Pacific Ocean is expected on April 26.

New Russian ICBM:

Let's see here. Powder-charge-launched. Hypergolic, by exhaust plume color. Likely a two-stage, given the shock diamonds of the underexpanded engine. Single engine, too, so probably a GG or ORSC cycle. RD-275M, maybe?

Ridiculously dangerous.

Edited by sevenperforce

41 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Ridiculously dangerous.

Well, yeah, hypergolics are toxic, but there’s just no better way to keep the rocket always ready for launch. SRBs are less efficient, and I’m not sure if they’re safer than hypergols. Maybe some kind of hybrid rocket booster could combine safety, propellant stability and efficiency, I dunno.

1 hour ago, sh1pman said:

Well, yeah, hypergolics are toxic, but there’s just no better way to keep the rocket always ready for launch. SRBs are less efficient, and I’m not sure if they’re safer than hypergols. Maybe some kind of hybrid rocket booster could combine safety, propellant stability and efficiency, I dunno.

I meant dangerous to the target.

32 minutes ago, Teilnehmer said:

Why does it use a tiny first stage to lift the rocket above the ground before the main engine starting?

It probably is launched by mortar, so this is just a protective cover for the engines. Atleast that is how it works on the Dnepr which is a former ICBM.

4606578_orig.jpg

Edited by Canopus

Hypergolics are the only options for Russian ICBM. Russia doesn't seem to have any experience with SRB's, let alone Hybrid Rockets.

8 hours ago, sh1pman said:

SRBs are less efficient, and I’m not sure if they’re safer than hypergols.

Well, SRB's don't produce toxic fumes, SRB's do risk accidental ignition on the ground but so does hypergolic. When it comes to the amount of safety hazards while fueling on the ground, Hypergolic propellant has more hazard than solid.

13 hours ago, sevenperforce said:
15 hours ago, sh1pman said:

I meant dangerous to the target.

KSP forum in a single phrase.

6 hours ago, NSEP said:

Russia doesn't seem to have any experience with SRB's

It has a lot of experience since 1960s, but hypergolics hystorically had better success.

6 hours ago, NSEP said:

SRB's don't produce toxic fumes

SRB is a fountain of hydrogen chloride and nitrogen oxides.
And most of hypergolic ICBM/SLBM get fueled and packed into a hermetic container right in the plant. Also they need no refueling for 10 years and more.

Edited by kerbiloid

5 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

It has a lot of experience since 1960s, but hypergolics hystorically had better success.

Yeah, you don't see many solid rockets in Russia today, expect for fireworks and maybe ullage/seperation thrusters.

8 minutes ago, NSEP said:

Yeah, you don't see many solid rockets in Russia today, expect for fireworks and maybe ullage/seperation thrusters.

Several hundred RT-2PM Topol family (beginned in Korolev's bureaou as RT-2).
SLBM Bulava (not sure if is being tested or already used).
SLBM R-39 (retired several years ago)
Almost all ballistic cruise missiles since late 1970s.
Rocket trains (retired in 1990s) were equipped with solid fuel RT-23.

Btw, ~300 RSD-10 were destroyed by launching, with no failure.

Edited by kerbiloid