ULA launch and discussion thread

tater

Posted (edited)

NET January 8 Vulcan Centaur • Peregrine

Launch time: 2:18 a.m. EST (0718 UTC)
Launch site: SLC-41, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida

Edited by tater

Congrats to ULA for successful launch :)

After hundreds of SpaceX launches it is strange not to see any telemetry, see animations instead of live feed. Except for liftoff you could follow it on the radio :rolleyes: Oh and is ULA really all imperial or just translating it ?

Man, we've had so much Falcon 9 saturation for the past several years that I forgot just how much of a sporty vehicle Falcon 9 is. Vulcan has like a 5 minute first stage burn, a 20-25 second stage separation sequence from cutoff to startup, and a 10 minute second stage burn.

Not that it's bad, there are advantages to a sustainer architecture, but I just kind of haven't seen a sustainer rocket go up in a while (and had kind of assumed Vulcan was a tad sportier than it is).

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

If this goes right, a small wafer with my name engraved onto it (and an SD card with a picture I made on it) will be going to the Moon.

It's got a photo of me and my kids, too.

2 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I'm just glad to see the US have two domestic produced orbital class rocket engine manufacturers.  

Not a fan of monopolies. 

Competition is gud! 

All Hail Sherman

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Man, we've had so much Falcon 9 saturation for the past several years that I forgot just how much of a sporty vehicle Falcon 9 is. Vulcan has like a 5 minute first stage burn, a 20-25 second stage separation sequence from cutoff to startup, and a 10 minute second stage burn.

Not that it's bad, there are advantages to a sustainer architecture, but I just kind of haven't seen a sustainer rocket go up in a while (and had kind of assumed Vulcan was a tad sportier than it is).

Vulcan Centaur 0 (the one with no SRBs) can't quite get off the ground on its own. The BE-4s are underpowered for launching it single-stick, so they have to launch it partially detanked. With two SRBs (like in this launch), they can fully load the first-stage tanks but it's still rather slow getting up.

Sustainer architectures are weird.

(wonder if BO buys them?)

Glad to see it worked perfectly. WTG, ULA!

3 hours ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Competition is gud! 

At this point a second provider, anyway. Competition would require cost competition, and I don't think that's a thing with Vulcan.

The claimed mass to LEO is 27.2t. Hmmm. If they can wring more performance out of BE-4 over time, I wonder if they could put Orion on top and get it crew rated?

Congrats to ULA for a successful debut of Vulcan! Now, how long until S.M.A.R.T. (better than nothing) reuse becomes a thing? And how long after that will they decide S.M.A.R.T.  is as economical as STS SRB re-use (as in, not really)?

12 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Congrats to ULA for a successful debut of Vulcan! Now, how long until S.M.A.R.T. (better than nothing) reuse becomes a thing? And how long after that will they decide S.M.A.R.T.  is as economical as STS SRB re-use (as in, not really)?

One of the primary reasons to pursue SMART is to increase launch cadence, not decrease launch costs. Blue Origin is not exactly flush with engines and their factory isn't moving very fast, so if ULA (or its successor) wants to get a reasonably high launch cadence for launching the Kuiper satellite constellation, they might need to recover the engines simply to avoid schedule delays.

If they can recover and refurbish the engines faster than Blue Origin can build and ship them, then SMART makes a lot of sense for that reason alone, even if the cost savings are marginal. 

4 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

One of the primary reasons to pursue SMART is to increase launch cadence, not decrease launch costs. Blue Origin is not exactly flush with engines and their factory isn't moving very fast, so if ULA (or its successor) wants to get a reasonably high launch cadence for launching the Kuiper satellite constellation, they might need to recover the engines simply to avoid schedule delays.

If they can recover and refurbish the engines faster than Blue Origin can build and ship them, then SMART makes a lot of sense for that reason alone, even if the cost savings are marginal. 

Hmm, good point, that's the main reason Rocketlab is pursuing re-use

13 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

In part this is why Rocketlab want to reuse electron but here it might be more about the composite stage. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

In part this is why Rocketlab want to reuse electron but here it might be more about the composite stage. 

I think you're correct. If I remember accurately, Rocketlab is fairly flush with engines but not so flush with stages, the opposite of ULA (which can churn out stages rather quickly but is depending on BO for the engines). Might explain why Rocketlab is less worried about saltwater incursion in its engines, because it can just replace them if they don't perform well in test fires. The Rutherford engines are probably more accepting of harsh conditions because they lack combustion-based turbopumps.

3 hours ago, tater said:

Competition would require cost competition, and I don't think that's a thing with Vulcan

On the one hand, I agree totally - on the other I recognize a new but nascent capability, which may also provide if not yet competition, alternative transport / increased capacity. 

In fact I'm hoping all the leaders (RocketLab, Stoke, etc) succeed.  Let everything shake out later 

Following a successful mission by Vulcan, the peregrine lander has suffered a propulsion anomaly that nearly resulted in its battery depleting and solar arrays not pointing towards the sun. The team conducted an improvised manoeuvre to get the spacecraft oriented correctly, but the propulsion failure may be a serious issue.

Peregrine Mission 1: Lunar spacecraft back in contact and battery being recharged after 'propulsion anomaly' | Science & Tech News | Sky News

33 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

On the one hand, I agree totally - on the other I recognize a new but nascent capability, which may also provide if not yet competition, alternative transport / increased capacity. 

In fact I'm hoping all the leaders (RocketLab, Stoke, etc) succeed.  Let everything shake out later 

I absolutely want all to fly, don't get me wrong, and since ULA already has 60% of the Space Force launches assigned to Vulcan they need to be flying. We'll not see a cost change per kg until someone can compete on price, however. Assuming NG works out of the gate there could be a small movement at the margins (BO might borrow from Bezos' Amazon playbook and sell below cost for a while), but it's still a small change I bet.

Will be interesting to see who writes the check for ULA, too.