[UNOFFICIAL/FANMADE] 0.17 Discussion Thread 2

kacperrutka26

The part i'm most excited for is the scenarios mainly because my favourite part of the apollo missions was the landings, as well as the gemini dockings. When i first started playing ksp, I had my friend get my lander into a low munar orbit, so I could continually practice landings :). I can't wait to see how their going to implement scenarios, they could be varying from, for example "Explorer 1, the first manned kerbal mission is about to begin it's lift off sequence. Fly the rocket from start to finish." This would be a great mission for those beginner ksp players. :) On the topic of the release date, I would much rather see this update be as amazing as it has the potential to be, and I know squad can definitly pull it off. The only thing that is getting in the way are the people who are posting their anger on the forums about how there's no release date. I say that Squad can do whatever they want, and I know that this update is going to be fantastic, like every one before it :) (Sorry for the kinda block of text, didnt realize how long it was )

A question I've had for a while now, will night actually seem like it's night, without Kerbol shining through a mun/planet.

I believe Nova posted a picture of an eclipse in the Awesome Pictures thread in which all vehicles pictured were accurately dark, along with the landscape. I'm not quite sure, though.

Did we ever figure out the mystery of the "Final Transmission"? That may be a good way to bide time until .17

(Also, Sal, I mean not to be rude, only brutally honest when I say this: Scenario's? Really? Capitalization? A totally unnecessary apostrophe? Unless the next thing you talk about belongs or somehow relates to the scenarios, don't use it)

(You call yourself a moderator...)

:D

Yep better eclipse effects, but it doesnt look like it effects the shadows on the planets. Not sure since a bit of the sun is still exposed so there no way to tell for sure. But if it is, that would be awesome.

Wont get my hopes up though.

has it been said if the launch tower will be changed somehow/removed?

My presumption was that the launch tower would be upgraded (I'd be excited by an upgrade that lets the crew be loaded via the tower, instead of magically appearing in the capsule) and/or made optional (if using clamps instead) at some point. But I don't recall any of this being talked about for 0.17.

Omg it would be perfect to be able to load crew from the launch tower, and not have to bus them over from the runway to fill empty pods XD

And I think horizontal clamps that come out from the tower would be nice too. Well, it's not something that would be a big game changer like other planets, but maybe it could work its way into the final game or something =3

You know, I wonder how easy/difficult it would be to fly whole missions in IVA view only.

it shouldn't be too hard. it has the nav ball/speedo/altimeter and if you don't mind looking at the map screen (or there is a map inside the cockpit) it should be the same as it would be in third person mode.

For most of my rockets, the launch tower is actually too far away to even be practical as a launch tower XD and even with my Saturn V style rocket, the launch tower was dwarfed by that thing! How the Kerbals even got up into the command pod is beyond me... I think the launch tower as it stands now isn't going to be how it is when the game is finished. It needs to be brainstormed by the devs to see what they will do with it, but not having a launch tower would make the launch pad look really strange. It's fine as it is now for its aesthetic purpose, but that's about it.

How the Kerbals even got up into the command pod is beyond me...

Ladders.

Yesterday I was building a rocket with an unmanned MechJeb capsule atop a crewtank--trying to deliver stuff to a crew I've got orbiting the Mun without a lander or rover--and of course I couldn't test-launch it without adding crew. So I installed ladders reaching all the way from the crewtank to the ground, so a crewmember could be added at the launchpad.

(First I had to "launch" a regular capsule atop a cart and drive it off the pad, so there'd be Kerbonauts in the vicinity who could climb aboard. If I get really ambitious I might see if I could build something taller in the bed of the large truck so I could make the process more efficient than having to dismount the Kerbonaut from the cart, walk him up to the rocket, lower a whole bunch of ladders, have him climb a hundred meters to the crewtank, retract a bunch of ladders...bit of a pain, that procedure!)