Air Superiority Fighter Competition

11 hours ago, Eidahlil said:

I mean, I'll be honest, if you allowed Abrams cannon turrets I'd probably take it, and laser turrets I'll take any day of the week. :D

My own experience using the Abrams turret as a ground-attack weapon has shown it's extremely inaccurate unless the target is within ~2.5 km, which is the minimum max firing range for most other stock BDA guns. If it can barely hit within 2.5 km on a perfectly still target, I'd have serious doubts about its ability to hit airborne targets while airborne.

But laser turrets are still OP as all hell.

15 hours ago, drtricky said:

My own experience using the Abrams turret as a ground-attack weapon has shown it's extremely inaccurate unless the target is within ~2.5 km, which is the minimum max firing range for most other stock BDA guns. If it can barely hit within 2.5 km on a perfectly still target, I'd have serious doubts about its ability to hit airborne targets while airborne.

But laser turrets are still OP as all hell.

Laser turrets are out. @Eidahlil if you want to put a tank turret on your aircraft go for it for rhe time being. Ill be doing more fights tonight, been trying to fix an office computer network since the 23rd

Edited by exbyde

Here is one of my KSP crafts: XF-10, carrier based, long range, high speed, heavy fighter/bomber.  https://pp.userapi.com/c840027/v840027424/5b8e1/wd_WycvgFVY.jpg   https://pp.userapi.com/c840027/v840027424/5b8eb/9TrwiLie3cw.jpg   https://pp.userapi.com/c840027/v840027424/5b8fd/3SnVk3dWeds.jpg   https://pp.userapi.com/c840027/v840027424/5b907/1Y4gjGOj3KU.jpg   https://pp.userapi.com/c840027/v840027424/5b911/zD4wPrZLka8.jpg Fully stock ( excluding MJ ), and I plan to arm it with my stock guided missiles/bombs. (I'm sorry I have some problems with image adding) 

Edited by Kuznetsov Space program

18 minutes ago, Mukita12 said:

Wait @exbyde, We can create tank?

This os a fighter competition so it must fly. Considering all the limitations of the tank turret, go for ot. As with all rules, subject to change if found too op

Edited by exbyde

10 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

Unless it is stealthy, and has a (literal-ish) ton of chaff, I highly doubt it will win. But, you never really know until you try...

The DN-65 is a pretty good design. Only reason it lost to novi was because of hacks its stealthy profile, radar jammers and all-infrared armament. Wouldnt be surprised if its a good brawl

23 hours ago, drtricky said:

I don't think it's an accuracy issue, it is actually a lot more accurate than a vulcan (0.2 deviation vs 0.6), the main problem is the low fire rate, of which the vulcan has plenty. So I took two turrets. :cool:

Now, this is not my official entry, so, @exbyde, run it only if you feel like it'd be a fun thing to do, but this lil' guy has been exceeding my expectation all evening, so I just have to give him a chance. :)

http://kerbalx.com/juzeris/Tank.craft

screenshot217.png

1 hour ago, dundun92 said:

I just did some testing with the IV-1. in a 3v3, it beat the wunderwaffle and the dorrito 3-0!

Battle against the Novi. That is more of a wall than the dorito

Just now, Eidahlil said:

I don't think it's an accuracy issue, it is actually a lot more accurate than a vulcan (0.2 deviation vs 0.6), the main problem is the low fire rate, of which the vulcan has plenty. So I took two turrets. :cool:

Now, this is not my official entry, so, @exbyde, run it only if you feel like it'd be a fun thing to do, but this lil' guy has been exceeding my expectation all evening, so I just have to give him a chance. :)

screenshot217.png

If it takes off ill put it through the ranks XD

3 minutes ago, exbyde said:

The DN-65 is a pretty good design. Only reason it lost to novi was because of hacks its stealthy profile, radar jammers and all-infrared armament. Wouldnt be surprised if its a good brawl

Mine is basically identical to the novi(minus the all-IR armment) (2 jammers, a ton of chaff, stealth, 12 AMRAMS) The AI Has TOP SECRET tweak that almost guarantees victory against a non-stealthy fighter. But like I said, you never really know until you try. 

3 minutes ago, Eidahlil said:

screenshot217.png

I need some bombs...

Edited by Guest

One thing is for certain though: the IV-1 is NOT a dogfighter. The stealthy shape adds drag to reduce top speed to 200m/s, and cruise to 150m/s. It is manuverable-ish, but looses speed quickly(hence, no airbrakes are needed :P) in a head-on pass, 4 Vulcans are quite deadly though...

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, dundun92 said:

One thing is for certain though: the IV-1 is NOT a dogfighter. The stealthy shape adds drag to reduce top speed to 200m/s, and cruise to 150m/s. It is manuverable-ish, but looses speed quickly(hence, no airbrakes are needed :P) in a head-on pass, 4 Vulcans are quite deadly though...

If you are relying on missile spam, i think you will be very surprised by a certain fighter i've mentioned like 3 times now. 

Gentlemen, i like war. And i've promised you an air war, and tonight we shall continue the carnage. In the brawl tonight is @53miner53's FU1 (Fighter U1), going up against @l0kki's Wunderwaffle I2. Will this compact FU1 give the Wunderwaffle the bird, or will the Wunderwaffle return it by DHL?

To answer that question, the FU1 is not much in the maneuverability game, despite being inspired by the ubermaneuverable Dronblast, and utilizing fully-moving, fully-customizable wing surfaces. The Wunderwaffles clean house, keeping the #5 spot...for now

Alright, and speaking of the Dronblast, @Eidahlil, master of cheese, has come up with the successor to the Dronblast. If you didn't get to see it, or fly it, this craft is amazing, with an identical turn rate in degrees per second at 900m/s as it does at only 100m/s. Its lightweight, overpowered, and has a lot of wing area with a triplane configuration. And not to mention the landing cart features an RTG, something i very much appreciate when it comes to these aircraft (the Sanngrior only had 5 units of battery, so the drone batteries not dying while getting a battle ready is a very nice touch). @l0kki's Wunderwaffle has a heck of a battle on its hands, can it really take on the likes of the Pike?

Sure enough, Eidahlil knows what he's doing. The Pike's unicorn horn of a Sidewinder missile is enough to throw the enemy fighters into a brief disarray at just the right moment, letting the Pike bring its five Vulcans to bear on the Wunderwaffles. While it may have lost the first round, it came back strong for round 2 and 3 to win its spot.

And for our next battle of the night, we have @Eidahlil's Pike up against my personal favorite, @Abraxis DN-65es (you can't beat the looks, its simple and cool). We've seen the brutal efficiency the Pike has, but can it maintain it against a more competent opponent?

Yes. The battles here are short and violent, with the Pike really showing off its guns in this battle, which puts the DN-65es up as the #5 aircraft. Though don't worry, an improoved DN-65C is up on the roster for a re-test.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.