[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

22 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

@vardicd Is the passenger cabin forcing radial symmetry instead of mirrored symmetry for you? Are you able to manually switch the symmetry from mirrored to radial and back with the passenger cabin?

I haven't noticed any such issues with the passenger cabin, but I can test more when I get off work tonight.

10 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the extensive testing guys, it really helps! :)

Always glad to help test out mods that I love and this one is quickly turning into one of my favorites I just always feel a little bad asking for help, or bringing issues forward in these forums because I'm afraid the mod authors are going to think I'm annoying or complaining. But maybe that's just my anxiety.

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

@vardicd Is the passenger cabin forcing radial symmetry instead of mirrored symmetry for you? Are you able to manually switch the symmetry from mirrored to radial and back with the passenger cabin?

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

I haven't noticed any such issues with the passenger cabin, but I can test more when I get off work tonight.

Currently re-installing KSP and all my mods. I broke the world.... I broke everything  Apparently My KSP did not like it when I decided to remove all of RoverDude's mods. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to resume testing the passenger cabin's symmetry. I will get there though.

8 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Thanks for the extensive testing guys, it really helps! :)

Not a problem, having fun doing so. :) Thanks for making fun stuff for us to play with.

As for the symmetry thing @vardicd has been griping about, I think I have a cause. Within the VAB all the parts along the center line (red line) allow both mirrored and radial symmetry. The slices the are attaching at the sides are only allowing radial symmetry. The symmetry thing maybe happening in the SPH too, but you're not going to see a problem if you're getting the results you want. I think that is normal behavior in the VAB, but it's hard to tell with most parts being cylinders and cones. For the off center mirroring for the parts, pull the slice off and replace it. If there is a slice on the other side, remove that one too. That's what has been clearing it for me. I would suggest building all the KFS craft in the SPH then switch it to the VAB to build the boosters.

yAweHxC.png

22 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Currently re-installing KSP and all my mods. I broke the world.... I broke everything  Apparently My KSP did not like it when I decided to remove all of RoverDude's mods. It may be tomorrow before I get a chance to resume testing the passenger cabin's symmetry. I will get there though.

Yikes!!! Oh-no... Hope the reinstall of the mods goes smoothly. Roverdude's mods are the devil, that's probably why I have a love/hate relationship with them.

Edited by shdwlrd

21 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

I would suggest building all the KFS craft in the SPH then switch it to the VAB to build the boosters.

Yeah I thought of that, but I found that if I built a craft in the SPH and then moved it to the VAB to attach boosters, the minute I would rotate it vertically, the parts would randomly start flipping their orientation. It was only really noticeable with the passenger compartments, I'd get one that would flip the windows 'down' or both would. But I also saw a cargo bay do it once too. Fuel tanks I can't tell. they seem to be the same both ways.

Edited by vardicd

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Yeah I thought of that, but I found that if I built a craft in the SPH and then moved it to the VAB to attach boosters, the minute I would rotate it vertically, the parts would randomly start flipping their orientation. It was only really noticeable with the passenger compartments, I'd get one that would flip the windows 'down' or both would. But I also saw a cargo bay do it once too. Fuel tanks I can't tell. they seem to be the same both ways.

That sounds like an old KSP bug that should have been squashed many versions ago, but I see what you mean. Very weird.

Loaded into the SPH

1sJcZCK.png

Transferred into the VAB using the editor switch button, and initial load from the SPH tab

uh6kShy.png

When I grab the root part and it changes to vertical

3SFxmT8.png

When I try to add parts, I'm getting the same behavior an my previous post. 

I tried the same test with some stock craft. I'm getting the same behavior, minus the part flip on the initial load. What ever symmetry was used when the craft was built, you're stuck using that.

Edited by shdwlrd
results for stock craft

56 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

That sounds like an old KSP bug that should have been squashed many versions ago, but I see what you mean. Very weird.

Loaded into the SPH

1sJcZCK.png

Transferred into the VAB using the editor switch button, and initial load from the SPH tab

uh6kShy.png

When I grab the root part and it changes to vertical

3SFxmT8.png

When I try to add parts, I'm getting the same behavior an my previous post. 

I tried the same test with some stock craft. I'm getting the same behavior, minus the part flip on the initial load. What ever symmetry was used when the craft was built, you're stuck using that.

Well, that makes me feel better that I'm not the only one seeing some of the wonky-ness. Every time I report something crazy and everyone's "I can't reproduce this. No idea what you're talking about." I feel like an absolute moron. And, what are those solar panels from?

Edited by vardicd

It's sounding like it might not be a problem that I can solve. If the symmetry issue is too distracting, you could try removing

mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, 1

From the slices. That should fix the problems you're seeing, but at the expense of correct orientation of parts that are attached to the slices. Alternately, try changing the reference axis to, say 0, 1, 0 and see what happens.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It's sounding like it might not be a problem that I can solve. If the symmetry issue is too distracting, you could try removing

mirrorRefAxis = 0, 0, 1

From the slices. That should fix the problems you're seeing, but at the expense of correct orientation of parts that are attached to the slices. Alternately, try changing the reference axis to, say 0, 1, 0 and see what happens.

I saw that line in the configs. The API docs don't have any real explanation on what it does or how it works. I'm guessing it would be similar to the stack node orientation.

9 hours ago, vardicd said:

And, what are those solar panels from?

The top of the Buffalo rover parts look like that. The parts I'm using is one of the Tundra fuel tanks. 

6 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The top of the Buffalo rover parts look like that. The parts I'm using is one of the Tundra fuel tanks. 

Ah that makes sense, from the angle of the picture I couldn't tell it was part of a larger part, thanks.

@shdwlrd @Angel-125 I've been able to confirm, now that I've got my install back up and running, My testing has shown that I can reproduce some of the symmetry issues I see in the VAB, in the SPH I can use both mirrored and radial symmetry in the SPH with no problems, unless I rotate the vessel vertically. then I start getting trouble with one type of symmetry, but I can still use the other one.

However this is not the case in the VAB, I'm able to toggle between the 2 types of symmetries, but the build editor, seems to not respect, nor care with type of symmetry I'm trying to use, and if you'll notice in the second video below, it almost seems to not respect the position of the part, even when it's not connected, when symmetry shouldn't even matter. I noticed at least once or twice while I was holding the cabin, before I even attached it to a part, it would randomly flip it's orientation, front to back:

@Angel-125 @vardicdI figured out a fix for the textures flipping between the SPH and VAB. Change the mirrorRefAxis to 1,0,0 for the crew cabin, cargo bay and the gravimetric generator. I'm at a loss with fixing the editor not respecting the different symmetries.

Edited by shdwlrd

3 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

@Angel-125 @vardicdI figured out a fix for the textures flipping between the SPH and VAB. Change the mirrorRefAxis to 1,0,0 for the crew cabin, cargo bay and the gravimetric generator. I'm at a loss with fixing the editor not respecting the different symmetries.

Does that fix mess with the attaching other things to the craft symmetry issue>?

8 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Does that fix mess with the attaching other things to the craft symmetry issue>?

As for as I can tell, it does, but I'm not really seeing what you're seeing. Here is a quick patch I wrote up for testing. See if it works for you.

@PART[wbiA51CrewCabin]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

@PART[wbiA51GravimetricGenerator]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

@PART[wbiA51CargoBay]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

As for as I can tell, it does, but I'm not really seeing what you're seeing. Here is a quick patch I wrote up for testing. See if it works for you.

@PART[wbiA51CrewCabin]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

@PART[wbiA51GravimetricGenerator]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

@PART[wbiA51CargoBay]
{
	@mirrorRefAxis = 1,0,0
}

Er... sure. I'm guessing this is supposed to be a MM config? I've never been good with these. Do I need to name the file something specific to get it to work? place it somewhere specific?>

19 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Er... sure. I'm guessing this is supposed to be a MM config? I've never been good with these. Do I need to name the file something specific to get it to work? place it somewhere specific?>

Yes, it's a MM patch. All you have to do is copy it to a text file, save it, and change the .txt to a .cfg, and place it anywhere in the gamedata folder.

1 hour ago, shdwlrd said:

Yes, it's a MM patch. All you have to do is copy it to a text file, save it, and change the .txt to a .cfg, and place it anywhere in the gamedata folder.

Okay, I copied one of the KFS MM patches that was already in the KFS mod, changed the name and copy/pasted the code bits you posted, and we'll see if it works.

@Angel-125 Question, I've reinstalled your entire constellation of mods again, and I noticed that suddenly the KEI mod, is showing me a Biome research experiment that it's offering to run around KSC, for a total of 172 science. Trouble is, I can't actually find what part this experiment is coming from, and as far as I'm aware, your mods and Dmagic's are the only 2 mods that add science experiments to the game, that I'm running. I've gone through the config files for all the experiments in both mods. {that I can find, some of the ones in your mod constellations are in places That seem strange to me, so I may have missed some.} Can you think of one of your experiments this might be, and if it's supposed to be runnable at KSC? Trying to avoid cheat science like we had before with the K2 computer, and don't know if we need another KEI exclusion patch for this.

27 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@Angel-125 Question, I've reinstalled your entire constellation of mods again, and I noticed that suddenly the KEI mod, is showing me a Biome research experiment that it's offering to run around KSC, for a total of 172 science. Trouble is, I can't actually find what part this experiment is coming from, and as far as I'm aware, your mods and Dmagic's are the only 2 mods that add science experiments to the game, that I'm running. I've gone through the config files for all the experiments in both mods. {that I can find, some of the ones in your mod constellations are in places That seem strange to me, so I may have missed some.} Can you think of one of your experiments this might be, and if it's supposed to be runnable at KSC? Trying to avoid cheat science like we had before with the K2 computer, and don't know if we need another KEI exclusion patch for this.

That sounds like Pathfinder. KEI should ignore it. 

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

That sounds like Pathfinder. KEI should ignore it. 

I can only find Docscilab and terraingeo in pathfinder, is the experiment coming from one of those, or is there one I missed? Trying to figure out how to add an experiment to the KEI exclusion list now, if I can get this figured out, maybe I can pass it along to linuxgurugamer to include in a future patch?

4 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I can only find Docscilab and terraingeo in pathfinder, is the experiment coming from one of those, or is there one I missed? Trying to figure out how to add an experiment to the KEI exclusion list now, if I can get this figured out, maybe I can pass it along to linuxgurugamer to include in a future patch?

Hm, perhaps try the experiments in Wild Blue Tools? I have a lot on my plate right now so I appreciate the detective work. :)

1 minute ago, Angel-125 said:

Hm, perhaps try the experiments in Wild Blue Tools? I have a lot on my plate right now so I appreciate the detective work. :)

I'm only seeing basicExperiments [which have a long list of experiments in there, but all of them seem to be listed in KEI already] Deepfreezeexperiments [same story here, all seem listed.]

and then something labeled emptyexperiments. I'll keep poking at it through the day, i'll go through each folder line by line if I need to, maybe i'll uninstall each of your mods one at a time and see when it disappears and maybe that will narrow my search down. I think I know how to add it to KEI's exclusion lists once I find the experiment, I just need to know what's it's experiment id is and then it seems a simple fix. If you happen to think of any other places to look, or clues that might help my search, feel free to message me. See if I can't get this fixed.

19 hours ago, vardicd said:

18 hours ago, vardicd said:

I'm only seeing basicExperiments [which have a long list of experiments in there, but all of them seem to be listed in KEI already] Deepfreezeexperiments [same story here, all seem listed.]

and then something labeled emptyexperiments. I'll keep poking at it through the day, i'll go through each folder line by line if I need to, maybe i'll uninstall each of your mods one at a time and see when it disappears and maybe that will narrow my search down. I think I know how to add it to KEI's exclusion lists once I find the experiment, I just need to know what's it's experiment id is and then it seems a simple fix. If you happen to think of any other places to look, or clues that might help my search, feel free to message me. See if I can't get this fixed.

@Angel-125 I've identified the part responsible for the experiment. it's PART{ name = WBI_CrewCab

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{ id = WBIBiomeMultiExperiment
 title = Biome Research

I have so far not been able to get KEI to successfully ignore this experiment, however it is a surface runnable experiment that I think? should be runnable at the KSC, so I'm not sure if it is an experiment that needs to be blocked from KEI? That's sort of up to you, but It seems the sort of experiment that KEI is built for?>

EDIT: @Angel-125 I've tried mimicking the style of the excluded experiments in the KEI config file, using the experiment id and title, with varying capitals and spacing to no avail. before I reach out to anyone in the KEI thread for assistance with excluding the experiment from KEI, I'd like to verify with you that you DO actually want it blocked from KEI, as it seems to be a biome specific ground runnable experiment.

Edited by vardicd

11 hours ago, vardicd said:

@Angel-125 I've identified the part responsible for the experiment. it's PART{ name = WBI_CrewCab

EXPERIMENT_DEFINITION
{ id = WBIBiomeMultiExperiment
 title = Biome Research

I have so far not been able to get KEI to successfully ignore this experiment, however it is a surface runnable experiment that I think? should be runnable at the KSC, so I'm not sure if it is an experiment that needs to be blocked from KEI? That's sort of up to you, but It seems the sort of experiment that KEI is built for?>

EDIT: @Angel-125 I've tried mimicking the style of the excluded experiments in the KEI config file, using the experiment id and title, with varying capitals and spacing to no avail. before I reach out to anyone in the KEI thread for assistance with excluding the experiment from KEI, I'd like to verify with you that you DO actually want it blocked from KEI, as it seems to be a biome specific ground runnable experiment.

I can't seem to find that experiment anywhere. I should probably just remove WBIBiomeMultiExperiment from the crew cab...