[Min KSP 1.12.2] Kerbal Flying Saucers - Build Flying Saucers in KSP!

Angelo Kerman

Got a bit more done on the mothership:

rHpQB59.png

The meshes need to be cleaned up, but from left to right: Engineering Core, Inner Section, Outer Section. For scale, the Engineering core is 7.37m in diameter- about the length of a Rockomax 64- and 4.5m tall. Once I get the meshes cleaned up, I can make the various sizes that I need.

Edited by Angel-125

59 minutos atrás, Angel-125 disse:

Fiz um pouco mais na nave-mãe:

rHpQB59.png

As malhas precisam ser limpas, mas a esquerda para a direita: Núcleo de Engenharia, Seção Interna, Seção Externa. Para escalar, o núcleo de engenharia tem 7,37 m de diâmetro, aproximadamente o comprimento de um Rockomax 64 e 4,5 m de altura. Depois de limpar como malhas, posso fazer os vários tamanhos que precisem.

Fiz uma modificação na imagem de um hangar / garage alegado, inspirado na espaçonave Jupiter 2 perdida no espaço, uma série da Netflix, onde há uma peça parecida.

É importante notar que esta parte modificada seria aerodinamicamente mais alta do que as outras porque é um hangar, então a aerodinâmica superior da peça precisaria ser suavizada ou arredondada, tirando a cabine do IXS-OS mod segunda parte do jogo que possibilita o acesso interno ao EVA.

https://imgur.com/31XLDnz

Please forgive me for the lousy disappointment, I did the best I could in Paint. xD

Edited by Catatau_27

4 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

Got a bit more done on the mothership:

rHpQB59.png

The meshes need to be cleaned up, but from left to right: Engineering Core, Inner Section, Outer Section. For scale, the Engineering core is 7.37m in diameter- about the length of a Rockomax 64- and 4.5m tall. Once I get the meshes cleaned up, I can make the various sizes that I need.

:O it’s coming together!

4 hours ago, Catatau_27 said:

Fiz uma modificação na imagem de um hangar / garage alegado, inspirado na espaçonave Jupiter 2 perdida no espaço, uma série da Netflix, onde há uma peça parecida.

É importante notar que esta parte modificada seria aerodinamicamente mais alta do que as outras porque é um hangar, então a aerodinâmica superior da peça precisaria ser suavizada ou arredondada, tirando a cabine do IXS-OS mod segunda parte do jogo que possibilita o acesso interno ao EVA.

https://imgur.com/31XLDnz

Please forgive me for the lousy disappointment, I did the best I could in Paint. xD

Thank you for the suggestion, I will consider it. :) Also, what is your native language? Spanish? I understood some of what you wrote, but the picture really helped. :) I learned Spanish in high school and college but that was years ago.

Edited by Angel-125

3 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Thank you for the suggestion, I will condpsider it. :) Also, what is your native language? Spanish? I understood some of what you wrote, but the picture really helped. :) I learned Spanish in high school and college but that was years ago.

I believe that’s Portuguese. ;)

4 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

Obrigado pela sugestão, vou aceitar. :) Além disso, qual é a sua língua nativa? Espanhol? Eu entendi um pouco do que você escreveu, mas a imagem realmente ajudou. :) Eu aprendi espanhol no ensino médio e na faculdade, mas isso foi há anos.

Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese xD

8 minutos atrás, Angel-125 disse:

Ah obrigada por esclarecer. Califórnia aqui. :) De qualquer forma, o EVA do mod IXS Enterprise foi ótimo, acho que isso pode ser feito para o mothership.

Eu acho que é o único mod EVA interno de todo o jogo até agora e infelizmente eles só fizeram uma peça que era o cockpit xD

And about California, they say it's one of the best places in the world, at least here in Brazil it's well described. Maybe one day I will visit =) only lack $$$ and a good opportunity.

Edited by Catatau_27

10 minutes ago, Catatau_27 said:

Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese xD

Brazucas são terríveis. :D 

How do you manage to get automatic translations? I need this in an attempt to improve my english - 99% of my posts ending up needing corrections. Some hours (or days) after, when I realize the mistakes. Yeah, I'm always late. :P 

8 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Brazucas são terríveis. :D 

How do you manage to get automatic translations? I need this in an attempt to improve my english - 99% of my posts ending up needing corrections. Some hours (or days) after, when I realize the mistakes. Yeah, I'm always late. :P 

Well, first step: Learning English xD no have another way second step: I use the google Chrome, I do not know if it's regional, but my Chrome has automatic translator, not all words are correct, and the ones that are wrong I write myself, to buy time in forums like this have a translator is a useful tool.

Edited by Catatau_27

When I create new parts, I very often begin by blocking out the 3D mesh and getting it into the game to test functionality, and the mothership is no different. Below is the start of the S-4 Excalibur Engineering core, designed to produce both gravity waves via its gravimetric displacement generator, and electric charge via its gravitic fusion reactor. I alsoadded some familiar parts so you can get a sense of scale:

SaWeSxx.png

It needs more work, like adjusting the height to be an even 5m (4 decks total), and possibly widen it to 7.5m in diameter, but it's a good start. :)

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

It needs more work, like adjusting the height to be an even 5m (4 decks total), and possibly widen it to 7.5m in diameter, but it's a good start. :)

I like the idea of going to a 'standard' 7.5m diameter. (AKA: Size 5.)  Makes it easier to combine with other mods, if people want to.

2 hours ago, Angel-125 said:

When I create new parts, I very often begin by blocking out the 3D mesh and getting it into the game to test functionality, and the mothership is no different. Below is the start of the S-4 Excalibur Engineering core

You should totally do a screencap recording of your development process then give us a time lapse of the whole thing. :D

4 minutes ago, CatastrophicFailure said:

You should totally do a screencap recording of your development process then give us a time lapse of the whole thing. :D

I would be interested in seeing that.

The mothership begins to take shape...

FLr9Zu7.png

10m diameter dirigible section for scale:

qTGETwj.png

6m Flapjack for scale:

EtyUtQF.png

2.5m diameter fuel tanks and Buffalo rover for scale:

erPVHY3.png

While there's only one inner section, you have a half-sized, full-sized, and double-sized outer section:

4GIIKUC.png

NX-01 mockup:

b9PkZJr.png

Edited by Angel-125

@Angel-125 I have a question about the S.A.F.E.R. nuclear reactor, it requires enriched uranium and nuclear fuel to function, while producing nuclear waste and depleted uranium. Is the buckboards the only storage medium that comes bundled with your mod that stores Nuclear fuel? I'm only using Heisenberg Airship Parts, Kerbal Flying Saucers, KerbalKomets, and the Wild Blue Tools that comes with your mods, and also, will the SAFER auto drain resources it needs to function, or will I need to manually manage the resources, or provide an engineer to do so? I tried looking in the ingame KSPedia but found no entries relevant.

@vardicd The Buckboards are bundled with Wild Blue Tools so they're absolutely always available if you use any Wild Blue mods. But any part from the other Wild Blue mods which provides convertible storage (practically any tank part at all so you need not worry) will allow it, especially now that OmniStorage is a thing.

What you have to worry about is that you cannot transfer the CRP nuclear resources so the SAFER will unavoidably become dead and useless if you use it out normally or it gets drained by Extraplanetary Launchpads (to fill the reactor in a craft deployed from a Pathfinder + EL base). I got all the first-hand experience for this while colonizing a moon a few weeks ago.

You can transfer EnrichedUranium and DepletedFuel only between Near Future's parts via its nuclear transfer mechanism, which the WBI mods do not inherit.

If you use Classic Stock and the SAFER holds NuclearFuel and NuclearWaste then you can easily refill it (or empty it) when you need to.

10 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@vardicd The Buckboards are bundled with Wild Blue Tools so they're absolutely always available if you use any Wild Blue mods. But any part from the other Wild Blue mods which provides convertible storage (practically any tank part at all so you need not worry) will allow it, especially now that OmniStorage is a thing.

What you have to worry about is that you cannot transfer the CRP nuclear resources so the SAFER will unavoidably become dead and useless if you use it out normally or it gets drained by Extraplanetary Launchpads (to fill the reactor in a craft deployed from a Pathfinder + EL base). I got all the first-hand experience for this while colonizing a moon a few weeks ago.

You can transfer EnrichedUranium and DepletedFuel only between Near Future's parts via its nuclear transfer mechanism, which the WBI mods do not inherit.

If you use Classic Stock and the SAFER holds NuclearFuel and NuclearWaste then you can easily refill it (or empty it) when you need to.

Okay, so if I understand what you're saying correctly, the SAFER just becomes dead weight after the Enriched Uranium runs out?

h2efZ6b.jpg

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

Okay, so if I understand what you're saying correctly, the SAFER just becomes dead weight after the Enriched Uranium runs out?

Yes.

Side note: The SAFER should not be holding both sets of resources. I can see why it happens though.

2 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Yes.

Side note: The SAFER should not be holding both sets of resources. I can see why it happens though.

Interesting, I wonder why I have both sets showing up then. {rhetorically} What have I done wrong now.

34 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Interesting, I wonder why I have both sets showing up then. {rhetorically} What have I done wrong now.

I assume it may be an oversight on Angel's part concerning changing the WBI play mode to CRP (providing for two resource systems isn't easy). But just as much, something in your install (or missing from it) could be the source. I wouldn't know as I'm able to test things and tweak them to the point where i don't need CRP at all anymore, just Classic, and I don't use MKS, which is quite a large mod on its own.

1 hour ago, Secretkeeper626 said:

Will the mothership be able to self sustain a small crew of kerbals?

If you're looking for "closed loop life support" you won't find it as no life support that gives a decent challenge will allow it, but if USI life support is any indication, life support storage will last for leaps and bounds once you have a decent supply (or input rate) of Compost/Fertilizer. And of course, the smaller your crew, the further the Snacks™ will stretch.

The modularity of the mothership saucer slices will help quite a lot in getting a good system setup.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, Secretkeeper626 said:

Will the mothership be able to self sustain a small crew of kerbals?

If set up properly, the mothership can be configured as a portable base.  You can fly in, have all the converters and extractors you need, and set up permanent facilities. Then fly to the next location without having to pack everything up again. Heck, once I get the transporter working, all you need to do is beam down (more like use a wormhole) kerbals and finished goods while beaming up raw materials. It just takes a portable transporter room, something like Pathfinder ‘s Pipeline but more powerful and movable.