Shower thoughts

p1t1o

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The present is a human construct. From the universe's perspective, every point in time has already happened, is happening, and will happen, simultaneously.

Determinism

7 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The present is a human construct. From the universe's perspective, every point in time has already happened, is happening, and will happen, simultaneously.

On a similar note:

Slaughterhouse Five could be how Billy copes with his war experiences. 

What actually raises another question.
As the "experience" is the state of the subject at the "end" of an educational timeline, why wait for that when you can relocate yourself to the already experienced point, and get everything at once.

Edited by kerbiloid

I'm too confused at all this talk about confusing time travel things (I'd have to sit down and think on it for an hour to gain concept of it), so can we try conversing about a topic a bit easier to perceive?

Like, for example, I was born at an incredibly young age.

There are some really intriguing experiments involving something dubbed quantum retrocausality when examining the particle/wave duality of photons. 
If anyone is interested in challenging their concept of space time and entropy I recommend watching some talks about those experiments. It’s really mind bending stuff.

Spaceman, remember!
Keep the things on the deck properly attached and secured.
An RTG flushed off into the extraterrestrial ocean may cause an unexpected life evolution when the local amoebas gather around for warmth.

P.S.
"Black smokers", that's how we call the RTG lost in sea 4 bln years ago.

Edited by kerbiloid

I've been re-reading The Pale Blue Dot by Carl Sagan. It's only been about ten years since the last time I read it. The introduction and the first few chapters still sound quite pessimistic and melancholy towards the progress of space exploration. As I was waiting for the VA to draw blood for the quarterly blood tests they like to run, I couldn't help but to think about how relevant his book is now - at our time in human civilization. Say what you will, once man walked on the moon, it seemed that the global interest in space became a collective Meh, we've been there now. Nothing to see, might as well go home...

If we consider what was written in the science fiction of the era (1950s through the 1970s), why was it that mankind turned away from the promise of space exploration and colonization? Since the 1950s, nearly every astronomer around the world has been warning about how humanity is but one meteor strike away from extinction. There were movies, television shows, and tons of sci-fi novels written which not only demonstrated the potential for man to live beyond the Earth but the practicality of such expansion. Humankind desires the thrills and challenges of exploration. Our own ancestors testify to this. Even before the "ancient" world of the Egyptians, Persians, Etruscans, and Chinese, mankind was moving across the surface of the Earth, seeking better lands that offered better foraging, better hunting, and other resources to support existence.

As an historian, I am fascinated by the Age of Discovery (1200-1695 CE). Driven by a variety of factors, men and women from China, from the European kingdoms, and even from the various tribes in the "New World" became restless. It truly became a time when humankind reached out beyond their areas of comfort to discover something new. Not all of it was good but at the same time, not all of it was bad. It simply was. Now, the human spirit is again growing restless. I think this is one of the reasons why movies such as The Martian, Interstellar, and others did so well at the box office. They captured the public's imagination and stirred the embers of the final frontier - space. Humankind wants and needs space exploration and settlement. Humanity craves expansion into space. And if humanity will survive, it must expand into space.

I look forward to a time when humankind can turn from senseless wars among ourselves and use our collective resources, knowledge, and spirit of exploration and truly become a species which lives among the stars. It will have to be a global effort for no one nation could ever afford to do it alone.

41 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Now, the human spirit is again growing restless. I think this is one of the reasons why movies such as The Martian, Interstellar, and others did so well at the box office. They captured the public's imagination and stirred the embers of the final frontier - space. Humankind wants and needs space exploration and settlement. Humanity craves expansion into space. And if humanity will survive, it must expand into space.

When I look up at the stars, I feel at home with them. 
When I see the craters and valleys of the Moon and Mars, I think - That is a place where I could go some day.
When I see people strapping themselves into rockets and being launched into the unknown, I think - I have to do that.

A lot of people are excited about space. We just have to keep that excitement strong - which may be a bigger challenge than we'd like...but as the launch cadence increases and the next heavy lift rockets begin flight, humanity will begin to take notice.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:05 AM, cubinator said:

When I look up at the stars, I feel at home with them. 
When I see the craters and valleys of the Moon and Mars, I think - That is a place where I could go some day.
When I see people strapping themselves into rockets and being launched into the unknown, I think - I have to do that.

Same.

It's snowing here. Fine snow, giving a light covering on the ground.

It's snowing someplace else, too. Near one of those stars up there in the sky. Someplace with air, water, ice. Snow falling through the clouds, onto the hills. Snow in the night, maybe illuminated by a moon or a bright star. Just like here.

9 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

We live in Matrix.

I think everyone has had that thought at some point.

Do we live in the Matrix? Is life a lie?? Are you a robot??? ARE YOU STAR THEORY???? ARE YOU REAL????? AM I REAL????? IS THIS WORLD REAL?????? IS KSP REAL??????? ARE WE ALIENS????????

Actually tho do we live in the Matrix