quick-save numbering

Can you guys please simply implement a 0001,0002 etc sequential ordering on the quick-saves? 

It is a trivial thing for a half-decent programmer, and would save a lot of hassles.  When you have 30-40 saves it starts to get really annoying that the ordering of saves is all over the place. 
I know you can save to any name, but that means you always need to keep in mind what number you're at, and keep looking up where you were, and if you don't play all the time, this is a hassle.

I know it has come up before and frankly, I can't see why it hasn't been implemented yet, seeing it would take about half an hour to do.

Please, please take this half an hour and fix it!  

Thanks

When you alt-F5 to name your quick save, try naming it something you will remember.  Like a quick description of the scenario.  It's easy to do and I do it all the time.

For regular F5, i'm fine with it only keeping the last one I saved.   There's a reason there's F5 and alt-F5.

42 minutes ago, ysu said:

seeing it would take about half an hour to do.

Hmmmm.... if it's so easy, try it yourself.  Write up the code and submit it to Squad.  Or at the least do it as a mod.....

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

When you alt-F5 to name your quick save, try naming it something you will remember.  Like a quick description of the scenario.  It's easy to do and I do it all the time.

For regular F5, i'm fine with it only keeping the last one I saved.   There's a reason there's F5 and alt-F5.

Hmmmm.... if it's so easy, try it yourself.  Write up the code and submit it to Squad.  Or at the least do it as a mod.....

Firstly; this isn't the tech I'm working with.   Second: the code isn't open source afaik.  Third: I'm a paying customer.  I expect things to be done, not having to do them myself.  I enjoy playing, not working in my free time, thanks.

I specifically like to avoid having to add descriptions.  Numbering saves is good in theory; with this minute change it'd be fully functional.  When I'm implementing numberings, I always try to anticipate the ordering algorithms.

I prefer those types of quick-saves that keep the last 10 or so only; that's all I ever needed.  But that's a significant change.

Edited by ysu

22 hours ago, ysu said:

Numbering saves is good in theory

Aside from when you are

On 5/5/2018 at 8:34 PM, ysu said:

keep in mind what number you're at, and keep looking up where you were, and if you don't play all the time, this is a hassle.

You can't ask for an increase in ambiguity while complaining about ambiguity. 

Edited by Gargamel

29 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

You can't ask for an increase in ambiguity while complaining about ambiguity. 

Leading zeroes is *not* an increase in abiguity.  It's pretty common practice for anyone who wants a file structure to stay organized.

1 hour ago, pquade said:

Leading zeroes is *not* an increase in abiguity.  It's pretty common practice for anyone who wants a file structure to stay organized.

When you are complaining about how you can't remember which quicksave is which, then a numbering system is not the answer.    Alt-f5'ing and typing MunlandingY1D235 is far less ambiguous than Quicksave032. 

EDIT: Or to keep them in order type out YxxxDxxx[Situation].  That way they will be chronological order, with a description of the scenario. 

I'm all for organized file systems, but that is not the root cause of this issue as presented,  laziness is. 

EDIT2:  Apologies if my comments seem harsh. 

Edited by Gargamel

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

When you are complaining about how you can't remember which quicksave is which, then a numbering system is not the answer.    Alt-f5'ing and typing MunlandingY1D235 is far less ambiguous than Quicksave032. 

EDIT: Or to keep them in order type out YxxxDxxx[Situation].  That way they will be chronological order, with a description of the scenario. 

I'm all for organized file systems, but that is not the root cause of this issue as presented,  laziness is. 

EDIT2:  Apologies if my comments seem harsh. 

We could easily quibble over the absolute best naming convention, but I think you're missing the point of the original post.

Currently, when a player attempts to load a named save they aren't ordered in a logical and easy to use/find manner which could be solved by a couple of lines of code by a programmer in several minutes and would consequentially save players (collectively) a much greater amount of time.

This is exactly the sort of things programmers *should* do for their users because the benefits greatly outweigh the small amount of time it would take the programmer to do.

16 minutes ago, pquade said:

We could easily quibble over the absolute best naming convention, but I think you're missing the point of the original post.

Currently, when a player attempts to load a named save they aren't ordered in a logical and easy to use/find manner which could be solved by a couple of lines of code by a programmer in several minutes and would consequentially save players (collectively) a much greater amount of time.

This is exactly the sort of things programmers *should* do for their users because the benefits greatly outweigh the small amount of time it would take the programmer to do.

You're exactly right.  File systems should be done under a best practice methodology, which includes a fixed length numbering system.

I might have taken the wrong approach to the request.  In the 6 years I have been playing, I cannot recall an instance where I needed to go back and find an earlier quicksave that was automatically created.   If I thought I would have to jump back that far, I would create a unique, identifiable, alt-quicksave.  

While I agree the programmers need to use a best practices method, the users should try to do the same. 

23 hours ago, Gargamel said:

While I agree the programmers need to use a best practices method, the users should try to do the same. 

You can't simply state "this is the best practice for everyone playing the game" because playing isn't about generating consistent - or any - results, it's about having a good time.

4 hours ago, ysu said:

You can't simply state "this is the best practice for everyone playing the game" because playing isn't about generating consistent - or any - results, it's about having a good time.

Yes, he can. You may not agree with him - and that's ok. But you can't tell what he can say or what he can't. It's not up to you.

Having a good time is very subjective and personal. He just stated what would make his playing a better time.

That said, if you are saying that there're "better" ways to suggest a new feature on the game, I would agree with you - but usually, language barrier is an issue for most of the non-english speakers, so I usually restrain myself to criticize such things.

Edited by Lisias
bad grammar. =/

I'm mostly interested in this to make sure that my most recent saves are located near the top/bottom instead of right in the middle... for that purpose leading/trailing zeros are a simple and obvious benefit. And I'd put down good money that this is a single-line change to the codebase (surrounding whatever quicksave counter is used with a format statement to specify a number of digits).

I actually implemented something like this in a mod a long time ago called Dated QuickSaves. By default the quicksaves are created using the in-game date, but you can change that to use a bunch of different options. There's a similar mod for screenshots.

Here's the list of "variables" that can be used in the file names for both mods:

[date] = Parsed DateString
[UT] = Current in-game time in seconds
[save] = Name of current save game
[version] = KSP version
[vessel] = Active Vessel name
[body] = Current primary celestial body name
[situation] = Active Vessel situation (PRELAUNCH, FLYING, ORBITING, etc.)
[biome] = Current Active Vessel biome
[year] = Current in-game year (as seen in top left during flight (1, 2, etc.))
[day] = Current in-game day (similar to year)
[hour] = in-game hour
[min] = in-game minute
[sec] = in-game seconds
[year0] = As [year] but zero padded to three digits (001, 002, etc)
[day0] = As [day] but zero padded to three digits (001, 002, etc)
[hour0] = As [hour] but zero padded to two digits (01, 02, etc)
[min0] = As [min] but zero padded to two digits (01, 02, etc)
[sec0] = As [sec] but zero padded to two digits (01, 02, etc)
[MET] = Active vessel's mission elapsed time. Would normally be HH:MM:SS, but the colons are replaced with the ReplaceChar (windows doesn't like colons)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.