Newbie Central - Micro-challenges for new comers! - Closed

@VelocityPolaris I'm not quiet sure if my new craft is conform with rule #3 because I'm firing up some sepratrons (with a burntime of exact 5 seconds) at the same time I get rid of the launchvehicle. Also, does the TWR limitation account for initial TWR or max TWR?

If it is conform with rule #3 and initial TWR is fine, I got a new entry: https://imgur.com/a/fjjvtFk

6 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

@VelocityPolaris I'm not quiet sure if my new craft is conform with rule #3 because I'm firing up some sepratrons (with a burntime of exact 5 seconds) at the same time I get rid of the launchvehicle. Also, does the TWR limitation account for initial TWR or max TWR?

If it is conform with rule #3 and initial TWR is fine, I got a new entry: https://imgur.com/a/fjjvtFk

I'm pretty sure firing sepratrons as soon as the launch vehicle is released is against rule #3, which specifies that no more engines may be activated in-flight. Sorry.

And the limitation would be for whatever maximum TWR will occur during the mission.

Just now, VelocityPolaris said:

I'm pretty sure firing sepratrons as soon as the launch vehicle is released is against rule #3, which specifies that no more engines may be activated in-flight. Sorry.

And the limitation would be for whatever maximum TWR will occur during the mission.

Ok, back to the SPH^^

3 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Waiiiiit a minute - 163.2 KN thrust, should, according to the rules, require a minimum craft mass of around 8.something tonnes, I think. And this says it has a mass of like 3.225 tonnes, yeah? That is in violation of that 200 KN per 10 tonnes rule, I think. Maybe we should let this stuff slide, though, as I'm only catching any of it at the last possible second.

I realized my mistake.Well i look forward for next challenge but wait i'm i allowed?

17 minutes ago, Alpha 360 said:

Every entry which has reached over 4.3 kilometers qualifies. Tomorrow, I will post up the medals.

Having a ranking, handing out special medals for the top ranks and cutting down all the rules close to the end of a challenge is pretty...unfair? Now, it is easy to build a heavy overengineered launchvehicle to 'shoot' your glider half around Kerbin just to get in the first place of the ranking (I'm not going to do this but it is possible and I don't like it).

26 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Having a ranking, handing out special medals for the top ranks and cutting down all the rules close to the end of a challenge is pretty...unfair? Now, it is easy to build a heavy overengineered launchvehicle to 'shoot' your glider half around Kerbin just to get in the first place of the ranking (I'm not going to do this but it is possible and I don't like it).

Hmm... I guess you're right. Oh no, what have I dooooooooone

But I put a lot of work and time into modifying the medal, even though it's not very good. What else are we supposed to do with it? And should we withhold medals from people who worked hard to make their gliders because the fine print said no? I'm sorry, this kinda turned into a mess.

Well, I would like to suggest two options:

1) Keep the special medals for another challenge (for example VTOL challenge). As far as I remember, the original challenge post mentioned the ranking to be 'just for fun', so keep it that way.

2) Keep the challenge open a bit longer, so everyone get a new chance to get a new entry regarding the new rules (maybe tagging everyone who already qualified)

4 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Well, I would like to suggest two options:

1) Keep the special medals for another challenge (for example VTOL challenge). As far as I remember, the original challenge post mentioned the ranking to be 'just for fun', so keep it that way.

2) Keep the challenge open a bit longer, so everyone get a new chance to get a new entry regarding the new rules (maybe tagging everyone who already qualified)

Well, I have to fly to Britain in around 30 minutes, so we'd best decide fast. Personally, I'm all for keeping the challenge open for a couple more days, any chance we could get an @Alpha 360 ruling?

7 hours ago, VelocityPolaris said:

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, sorry, @Ho Lam Kerman, but Zeiss has a point. That's what, a 4000 KN engine, 3700-something at sea level? And that's an 81-tonne fuel tank assuming it was full, a 15-tonne engine, I think - doing some rough rounding, I'd guess that craft weighs about 100 tonnes. The maximum TWR is 200 KN per 10 tonnes, so your max thrust in that case would be 2000 KN, which this is in grand violation of. What is the meaning of this?

If my entry has to be voided, then so be it. I will attempt a more traditional design if so, when I have the time.

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

It seems to me that having special medals for the top three would be the same as having rankings, which you guys didn't want to do because it goes against the spirit of keeping this fun and accessible. It also opens up the challenge to arguments and hurt feelings. I'm sure there are people here who would dispute my entry. I realized after I did it that the distance from the runway is radically different from the distance reported in the mission log. I'd have to do mine again if we're going to split hairs. I'm just happy participating and not trying to min-max everything. There are already challenges out there doing that. Take a look at the circumnavigation challenge for a good example.

Can't wait for the next challenge!

Oh, and if you guys need help with the badges, I'm available to do so. I made the badge for the Juno challenge that appears in my sig. The organizer seemed very happy with it.

Presenting the Glidex V.06!

tNDmsoX.png

GVkh2Rk.png

Glidex V.06 in the hangar- the detachable propulsion pack visible at the end.

K4hUwmM.png

Glidex at launch, with the clipped LVT45 producing 167 KN of thrust at ASL. The Glidex weighs 8,927 kg- allowing a max of 178.54 KN of thrust and putting me within the rules.

OVYazJa.png

Liftoff at T + 27 sec, traveling under 230 m/s to avoid atmospheric forcing. Separation of power pack occurred at T +30 sec, because I already had enough speed.

fi0G7jE.png

T +31 sec, one sec after power pack separation. Jebediah is very pleased.

SSS7e1j.png

Scenic photo after a minute or so, gliding at fifty three meters per second.

2ZJWWL2.png

Splashdown! Weird water glitch destroyed the fuel tank fuselage and the wings flew off at 200 m/s. But Jeb survived. And the marker reads a glorious 11.1 km from KSC- nearly 3x the challenge goal!

@Alpha 360 @VelocityPolaris @obney kerman does this qualify for a shiny medal?

Sorry for the lack of updates. The problem is that we( the thread authors) are running through the future rules of this thread. The challenge will stay open until Thursday, or possibly later. I will say that RL has been hampering me slightly, but soon I will help tackle the problem. 

Just for fun, I took this to the next level. If the next level is really, really crazy. This isn't an entry, just wanted to see how ridiculous I could make it.

I give you... the L.A.W.N. DART!

KVwbssp.png

Operation is simple - first stage is a whole bunch of boosters, then second stage launches the dart while firing retro rockets to keep the sled from hitting it. After launch, drop the sepratrons and coast. Right before the not-so-gentle water landing, you pop the chutes and brakes and hope for the best.

Kelmel looks thrilled about this plan.

7oA8G2p.png

This isn't overkill.

2u7DpKI.png

Fun for the whole family!

pNZLVQc.png

For a whole bunch of screenshots in no particular order, check out the album: https://imgur.com/a/ktDcdWb

14 hours ago, doggonemess said:

-snip-

That looks amazing! :o

@VelocityPolaris I want to update my entry, my glider MK3 got a distance of 29.4 km:

wvbyx9T.png

Album with some more pictures: https://imgur.com/a/qLu8Olm

The glider + launchvehicle is conform with the original rule set.

Mass without fuel in launch vehicle + fuel in glider (condition when separating at launch): 12.308t

Allowed thrust for whole vehicle: 246.16KN

Available thrust for whole vehicle: 245.26KN

Dry mass of the glider after separation: 4.903t

Allowed thrust for (dry) glider: 98.06KN

Available thrust for (dry) glider: 97.452KN

I've added some fuel lines to provide fuel from the launch vehicle to the glider engine, so the fuel in the glider tank is unused until separation. The fuel for the glider is just enough to get a burntime of 4.8 seconds.

Sorry, Folks, but the glider challenge is now closed!

Congratulations, and thanks to all of you for your contributions to innovation! (TM)
Sorry this was a bit of a mess, but, eh, look at it as a science experiment.

@Alpha 360 will handle the distribution of medals, and @Lucast0909 will be posting the next challenge sometime this decade.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.