Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 8/1/2023 at 7:50 AM, Lisias said:

CHECK YO STAGIN !!

01_CHECK-YO-STAGIN.jpg

Now I'm curious about the story here. It was not an hard landing as then the tail tip would not lay next to the plane. 
I suspect this was an fiber glass aerodynamic part as it just make the rear more aerodynamic, but that would make it an nice place for antennas and radars. I don't think this is an very modern plane. 
Could it be an escape path if the rear ramp did not open? and some idiot activated it. 

Good advice if plane is delayed do not use an emergency exit to take an smoke on the wing. Seals on the emergency exits are single use and expensive, probably more expensive than your vacation if you include certification. 

1 hour ago, magnemoe said:

Now I'm curious about the story here. It was not an hard landing as then the tail tip would not lay next to the plane. 
I suspect this was an fiber glass aerodynamic part as it just make the rear more aerodynamic, but that would make it an nice place for antennas and radars. I don't think this is an very modern plane. 
Could it be an escape path if the rear ramp did not open? and some idiot activated it. 

Good advice if plane is delayed do not use an emergency exit to take an smoke on the wing. Seals on the emergency exits are single use and expensive, probably more expensive than your vacation if you include certification. 

Yeah, I should had given some context. I received this one on Telegram, I think, and so I didn't had a URL to share.

The history is that instead of pulling a lever to lower the stairs, the crew (by mistake) ended up pulling the one that releases the tail's bonnet. :D 

The message didn't mentioned the aircraft model neither the function of that bonnet - perhaps maintenance? But it would be also the alternate exit as you mentioned too. Or both. :) 

21 hours ago, Lisias said:

Yeah, I should had given some context. I received this one on Telegram, I think, and so I didn't had a URL to share.

The history is that instead of pulling a lever to lower the stairs, the crew (by mistake) ended up pulling the one that releases the tail's bonnet. :D 

The message didn't mentioned the aircraft model neither the function of that bonnet - perhaps maintenance? But it would be also the alternate exit as you mentioned too. Or both. :) 

So my theory that it was as an emergency exit if the stairs did not work, likely if the plane belly landed or damaged the tail :) 
I say they should put the emergency opening lever behind the tail stairs. 

Now this kind of relate to the tail stairs and they guy who got an ransom and parachuted from an plane with rear stairs as its usually not safe to parachute from most jets unless they have an rear ramp like most military transport or rear stairs, as I understand the FAA then demanded that the stairs should not be able to lower in flight, but dropping you tail like an gecko solves this anyway. 
But this might not be an US plane. 

19 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Fa-330 rotary kite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Achgelis_Fa_330

Hide contents

Yes, to make it more scary for the pilot, an sub reaction to danger is to dive and you are in the air. It would be nice for spotting targets however. 
Know more standard kites an probably these was used on normal shops. 

Diving makes me think of an teen thing I and friends did. Holiday at the sea at my grandparents kids. We found an large wooden plate, barn door sized with an iron rail at one end. 
Tie an rope to the rail an tow it by an fast boat. Use the rail to hold on to this thing and you got well bumped behind the boat at speed. An less plessant version of various toys you can pull by boats. 
But this had an extra feature as this was not very buoyant. Pull yourself forward enough and you would dive. Backward and you would go up. It was important to not overdo this. 
Not an very safe idea :) 

3 hours ago, magnemoe said:

But this had an extra feature as this was not very buoyant. Pull yourself forward enough and you would dive. Backward and you would go up. It was important to not overdo this. 
Not an very safe idea :) 

When I was younger and stupid (now I'm older), I got my dirty pawns on a jet-ski, on a remote location upstream Manaus. Oh, great, beyond the arms of the law! I could have some really fun, right? :sticktongue:

So a big boat passed around upstream, right on the center of the Rio Negro (where the stream was stronger) making a hell of a ripple on the water. And I though to myself "it's now or never, let's do some jumps!". And, boy, that damned jet ski could be a old yamaha, but it jumped good - I don't have the slightest idea of how high I jumped, but everything that goes up, goes down and down I gone. At least I didn't broke anything (not the jetski neither my legs), but it hurt a lot - couldn't have a seat for days! :D

Do you know when I ever did that stunt again? In the next day (told ya, stupid…), but with a sensible less acceleration this time - I settled with a meter or two as "fun enough". :sticktongue: 

Edited by Lisias
Whoops… asnwered the wrong post. ripepd it off.

4 hours ago, Lisias said:

Convair Model 49.

Really, these guys were the precursor of the Kerbal Space Program - they would love this game, no doubt!!! :) 

Just saw it, It mentioned reloads for the 6 recoilless guns, yes its not that hard using an revolver style breach but its not used here and then they would reduce number of guns. 
Design would make sense for an drone for use on a ship. 

1920 Twin Piston Harley-Davidson Powered Airplane.

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines - or how to kill yourself while getting fun!

(spoiler: no one gets hurt on this bric-à-brac. This time. :P )

9 hours ago, DDE said:

Space windshield not included

I watched that. "Open cockpit spacecraft!? Launched from a submarine!? What the heck!?" Move over MOOSE, you have a new competitor for, "Craziest Idea Ever".

And then he lands in Death Valley and me and my buddies go out and pick him up in my truck. LOL.

18 hours ago, DDE said:

7x5hz3ctmly71.jpg

Fort Drum, AKA USS No-Go. This “concrete battleship” was completed in 1918 and guarded the entrance to Manila Bay. It was later used during the defence of the Philippines.
Concrete battleship is pretty accurate as it had the turrets and magazines the same as real battleships.