Real Life "Kerbalisms"

Lisias

On 9/16/2023 at 11:48 AM, DDE said:

During WWII, the Australians were among the nations that rushed to develop a tank industry ex nihilo, and unlike many, the Australian Cruiser series didn't turn out too bad, just a bit underarmed - and completely overshadowed by industrial powerhouses, relegating it to training use. However, the Aussies keep at it for most of the war, and that included cramming the 17-pounder gun into one of the later ACs.

However, they did not immediately have the 17-pounder on hand, so for recoil testing they created a surrogate using 25-pounder gun-howitzers... plural.

sentinel21-7809ebf31f34195661ac007e78ed2

An  two guns tank :) popular in comics and video games but not in real world,  outside of some with 20-30 mm an auto cannon as secondary gun.
While multi gun turrets has been pretty common on ships even up to today like Moscow has an dual gun turret. 
Well tanks are not ships, ships are large and multiple guns in an turret are lighter than multiple turrets and they share the arch of fire. Multiple turrets on an tank tend to be an very bad idea, as you need to keep your weight below 100 ton, preferable half of that.  An destroyer weight thousands of tons. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:11 AM, DDE said:

TFW your bow is below crush depth and your aft is sticking out of the water...

Interesting! Kind of reminds me of the 'whalebacks' that were native to the great lakes more than a submarine.

Historical Photos - Whalebacks - Extinct Ships of the Great Lakes - Mikel  B. Classen On The Road

The whalebacks were designed by a local captain of the lakes in the Duluth/Superior region. The idea was to have a vessel that sat very low in the water when loaded (The Colgate Hoyt pictured above is not loaded) and have the waves wash over the ship safely due to its rounded hull. Other distinctive features was the 'snout' on the front of the ship, this gave the vessels one of it's more unfortunate nicknames; the "pigboat". The upper works were built around the idea of rounded structures called "turrets". They were also cheap to produce due to the way they were constructed. In total 44 whalebacks were built before funding would dry up and the concept proved unprofitable. One of the main issues was that the way the whalebacks were built, the supports needed for the hull structure decreased cargo capacity and limited the size of the ships. This made the vessels uncompetitive with the business of moving cargos on the lakes. The whalebacks core concept of riding through the waves was also fatally flawed as it made it easy for their faulty hatches to fail in bad weather. The hatches were also a nightmare when trying to load and the ships were easily damaged by the equipment. Even after the production of the ships ended the whalebacks continued to serve for many years in many different roles. Around half would be lost in storms and accidents over the coming years, additionally two 'semi whalebacks' which had a similar design were also lost. The final whalebacks served into the 1960's before being broken up. Today one example survives, the SS Meteor tanker ship (launched as the bulk carrier Frank Rockefeller) is preserved as a museum in Superior Wisconsin. I visited her this summer, an interesting ship to be sure but that's a story on it's own!

SS Meteor - Clio

2 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Interesting! Kind of reminds me of the 'whalebacks' that were native to the great lakes more than a submarine.

Historical Photos - Whalebacks - Extinct Ships of the Great Lakes - Mikel  B. Classen On The Road

The whalebacks were designed by a local captain of the lakes in the Duluth/Superior region. The idea was to have a vessel that sat very low in the water when loaded (The Colgate Hoyt pictured above is not loaded) and have the waves wash over the ship safely due to its rounded hull. Other distinctive features was the 'snout' on the front of the ship, this gave the vessels one of it's more unfortunate nicknames; the "pigboat". The upper works were built around the idea of rounded structures called "turrets". They were also cheap to produce due to the way they were constructed. In total 44 whalebacks were built before funding would dry up and the concept proved unprofitable. One of the main issues was that the way the whalebacks were built, the supports needed for the hull structure decreased cargo capacity and limited the size of the ships. This made the vessels uncompetitive with the business of moving cargos on the lakes. The whalebacks core concept of riding through the waves was also fatally flawed as it made it easy for their faulty hatches to fail in bad weather. The hatches were also a nightmare when trying to load and the ships were easily damaged by the equipment. Even after the production of the ships ended the whalebacks continued to serve for many years in many different roles. Around half would be lost in storms and accidents over the coming years, additionally two 'semi whalebacks' which had a similar design were also lost. The final whalebacks served into the 1960's before being broken up. Today one example survives, the SS Meteor tanker ship (launched as the bulk carrier Frank Rockefeller) is preserved as a museum in Superior Wisconsin. I visited her this summer, an interesting ship to be sure but that's a story on it's own!

SS Meteor - Clio

Later boat did not have the anchor chains in the front to look less piggy :) 
Saw an youtube about these boats once. I can clearly seeing cargo hatches being an major problem being washed over all the time and having an very low reserve buoyancy.
Probably worked better as an tanker as you don't need large hatches but failed and pretty stupid as ship sized increased.
Interesting in being kind of an semi submersible. 

Just now, magnemoe said:

Later boat did not have the anchor chains in the front to look less piggy :) 
Saw an youtube about these boats once. I can clearly seeing cargo hatches being an major problem being washed over all the time and having an very low reserve buoyancy.
Probably worked better as an tanker as you don't need large hatches but failed and pretty stupid as ship sized increased.
Interesting in being kind of an semi submersible. 

Indeed! The last boat in the class is particularly interesting in that it had a standard bow and forward pilothouse (common practice at the time was to have the pilothouse forward on a lake bulk carrier) in an effort to keep the design relevant. It was also named for her designer (Alexander Mcdougall) and served until 1946!

Fr. Edward J. Dowling, S.J. Marine Historical Collection | Alexander  McDougall | University of Detroit Mercy Libraries

(As you can tell, I have an unhealthy obsession with these things)

6 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

SS Meteor - Clio

Lol, this is just what my boats look like when I try to build them with airplane parts!

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

This is officially the most Kerbal thing ever.

On 9/29/2023 at 5:01 PM, SunlitZelkova said:

Lol, this is just what my boats look like when I try to build them with airplane parts!

This is officially the most Kerbal thing ever.

I'm telling this for years: KSP¹ is how really technology works! Engineering have a loooong history of weirdities until we finally had settled with the designs we currently consider "successful".

But things are changing again, we are flirting experimenting with "new" designs again!

X-48B_from_above.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_X-48

You know, I never really gave enough attention to Saturn I !! My bad!

This thing is essentially 9 thin fuel tanks strapped together, with 8 engines shoved below them in a very interesting way - on the most Kerbal way possible! MOAR STRUTS!!!!

This video shows how the Saturn I first stage is built, very interesting!

— — POST EDIT — — 

Another very interesting documentary about Saturn I follows:

Edited by Lisias
Another interesting video added.

Anton Maltsev, ex-military and SWAT, owed over $116k on a mortgage. Instead of paying to the shady types Russian banks unfortunately tended to employ until a major publicity wave a couple of years back, he tinkered with a dozen guns, installed an extra door booby-trapped with a pepper-spray bomb... and played Tony Stark:

wr-420.webp

Spoiler

wr-420.webp

After scaring private collectors off for three years - including, quote, chasing off two of them with a Saiga while wearing a suit of armor - he was finally besieged and taken in by state bailiffs in 2016. He was found to be driven to clinical paranoia to the point of criminal insanity, so he was involuntarily committed instead of a criminal sentence for crafting a whole arsenal of suppressed guns for his last stand. But in the end, nobody got hurt except the bank's bottom line.

8 hours ago, Lisias said:

Impressive. I suspect he was arrested exactly by winning all the cases he represented!

"You're making the judges look bad by citing non-existent laws!"

"Uhm... it's them who..."

"Silence!"

19 hours ago, Lisias said:

Impressive. I suspect he was arrested exactly by winning all the cases he represented!

Agree, now he might well have specialized in some sort of case as you need special legal and procedural knowledge, now he could be an legal practitioner but not being an lawyer who as other requirements like no criminal record. 

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

What by the Kraken's name is this?? Kamov Ka-26

I posted a pic of one of these over 15 years ago to be ID’d on the SDC forums, that I spotted (probably) doing pilot training exercises near the municipal airport I lived near at the time.  Definitely an odd looking bird