[1.3.0] Kerbal Engineer Redux 1.1.3.0 (2017-05-28)

cybutek

KER 0.6.2.3 has one small annoying issue, at least in my install. I use it with the Toolbar by blizzy78, but don't think this issue has anything to do with it.

Every time I start KSP, with both the build and the flight engineer (if present) in the relative scene (VAB/SPH, Flight/Map), KER main window starts open. Thanks, that reminds I have KER available, but most often I have to close that window and go about anything I was going to do.

Looking at how the KER config files work, I see that KER saves and uses correctly the state for any of its subwindows. However, I could not find any setting about the main windows opened or closed, like the state is not saved. I believe that, when the plugin is started, it sets the main window open regardless of anything saved in the configs. My preference would be for a setting being saved/used about the mainwindow, or at least to have the mainwindow closed at start.

I've not been able to get the Engineers to work. Symptom is that the tabs appear only in the launchpad window, and only once. If I click on, say, orbit, it shows parameters once, but cannot be recalled without quitting the game and starting over. In the VAB, the UI produces an apparently nonfunctional "KER" button, and what is probably some kind of gray interface window extending down from the top, but with no content. This is the first mod I've installed, adding the Engineer folder to the GameData folder.

Mac OS X 10.8, KSP .23, Kerbal Engineer Redux [0.23].

Regarding no deltaV displayed - it appears calculations break, and thus no mass and deltaV are displayed, when tweaking righ-click context menu is opened in VAB. The error is preserved through save of ship, so only building from scratch (or at least removing tweaked part) allows KER to show the Truth

Just thought I'd say this, in case, I dunno...

kind regards

I have small idea for KER that woudl be usefull in vab.

SHowing stats for additional weight. Lets say we are building thug and want how much delta v it will have when connected to 30t ship.. right now player has just atach some random parts to increase weight.

We shoudl be able to just put "30t" in some gui window.

I may have asked for this before, if so forgive me. Would it be possible / be an interest in getting a delta V expended value?

It would be really useful for planning different flight profiles.

Mechjeb does have one, but I prefer to use Engineer (I can't be trusted to not use the autopilot functions of mechjeb if it's installed).

I've started to create a set of instructions / tutorials for Engineer Redux over on my website. Part 1 is up and there should be 6 in total, containing both instructions and in-use tutorials.

I'm on vacation at the end of this week so there will be a delay in getting them all up, but I' have at least part 2 finished before then. Feedback welcome!

MOD: Kerbal Engineer (Installation and Build Engineer)

MOD: Kerbal Engineer (Using Engineer to go to the Mun)

Edited by Paul Kingtiger
Added link to part 2

I'm curious, what happened to the drag information that used to be provided under the surface info tabs? I really enjoyed finding the least resistant path when flying my ssto's and now it's just g-rating

I don't fly SSTOs (or even planes all that much) but when launching rockets I use "Atmospheric Efficiency." If it's over 100, I slow down. If it's under 100, I speed up.

I'm curious, what happened to the drag information that used to be provided under the surface info tabs? I really enjoyed finding the least resistant path when flying my ssto's and now it's just g-rating

It is automatically disabled when FAR is installed, the two were never really compatible and made Ärger.

I have problem with every readings regarding vessel freezing. In VAB and in flight.

After short while of using KER it just stop updating information. In VAB even deleting KER part or going out VAB does not help...

Can it be mod incompatibility issue? I have FAR and few other mods installed.

Hi all. First of all, thanks for this great mod, I've used it in previous versions and it was very useful!

I have a problem using it in the latest version of the game (and KER 0.6.2.3): the parts in the VAB are not available to be used, even though I've researched them. The parts keep showing the message "Part model requires an Entry Purchase in R&D":

http://imgur.com/3TLReTQ

If I go back to R&D, there are new "duplicated" parts in the Start node that can be purchased:

http://imgur.com/uS29LXz

If I repeat this process, I end with even more "repeated" copies of the parts in the R&D window, always showing a new unpurchased set.

I only have installed this mod and Protactor.

Can anyone help? Thanks!

Edited by Hari-Seldon

It is automatically disabled when FAR is installed, the two were never really compatible and made Ärger.

Ahh thank you that clears up so much confusion on my end.

I don't fly SSTOs (or even planes all that much) but when launching rockets I use "Atmospheric Efficiency." If it's over 100' date=' I slow down. If it's under 100, I speed up. [/quote']

Whats that under? Surface? I don't remember ever seeing it...maybe it's not compatible with FAR either..

My Engineer stops updating in VAB (sometimes) and collapses its window in flight mode for unknown reasons, pending further investigation on my part, just asking if this has happened to anyone else lately with the newest version.

It seems to coincide with me installing the HotRockets FX mod, but I havent looked at it in depth yet, though the problem starts when adding a stage and vanishes after that stage is staged ... yeah.

What baffles me is that it was the most basic design: payload (a rover), four column stage, four separators, another four column stage, four boosters around the base (that didnt even get their own stage in KER or added to the total dV displayed).

I searched this thread (with Google because the forum searching is horrid) and only found one reference to this so I figured I'd share something I found.

In my current game, across all saves, the engineer would show up in the VAB but not in flight. the button was on the toolbar but clicking it did nothing. A reinstall would have fixed it (I actually copied my entire ksp_win directory and tried it there first) but that was not good enough for me. I wanted to know WHY.

Long story short, it turns out that the variable _TOGGLE_FLIGHT_ENGINEER was false in my broken game, and true in the reloaded KER where it showed up. I changed it in my broken game, and now the engineer shows up.

Is there any reason this should ever be false? Is there a way to toggle it back on in-game? I don't mind so much changing it in the config but it seems a bit kludgey.

I think I found a bug in the longitude readouts:

In the Real Solar System mod I launched a geostationary satellite. I then wanted to do a burn to get rid of my orbital inclination, so I looked to the Engineer screen to determine the longitude of AN and my current longitude.

Because I was in a pretty good GEO, my own longitude barely moved throughout an orbit. However longitude of AN didn't move at all during an orbit. Therefore my own longitude was never the same as the longitude of AN, even as I passed through the AN.

I think these two displays are referencing different coordinate systems or something.

Also the longitude of Pe is greater than 360 degrees.

Edited by Silpion

I think I found a bug in the longitude readouts:

Also the longitude of Pe is greater than 360 degrees.

Yeah, it's an essential mod, but ideally latitude output should be bound between -90 and 90, while longitude should be bound between -180 and 180.

I note that here it's suggested that one can select a more compact GUI output... but I can't find a setting to make that possible.

Anybody else find a way of getting a mechjeb-like layout, without the padding?

Currently using 0.6.2.2.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.