NASA CLPS Program

tater

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

Berger thinks the pressure on IM to stick a commercial lunar landing is very high and could have a big impact on the future of CLPS. 

I dunno, it's basically a bunch of companies independently having a 'first try' at landing on the Moon, isn't it? If if was one company that had had five tries I'd see it differently. I hope the congress critters can see past that too.

9 hours ago, darthgently said:

If IM goes awry, I'm thinking it would be interesting if SpaceX demonstrated an automated lunar landing using a small test lander just to puncture this perceived barrier.  They have to tackle the lunar landing eventually anyway

Well, I don't think the lander they'll be trying with is going to be "small"...

Heard on stream: they're using the lasers on one NASA instrument to act as doppler LIDAR, due to the lander's lasers not working. Had to upload a software patch.

If NASA (et. al) would just study my KSP lander design, they'd know the proper next step is to stow the landing legs, use the reaction wheels via WASD to right the craft, then lower the legs again for the perfect landing. 

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

the proper next step is to stow the landing legs, use the reaction wheels via WASD to right the craft, then lower the legs again for the perfect landing. 

That's what they're trying,  but the 1+ second light time delay each way is making it challenging...

1 hour ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

If NASA (et. al) would just study my KSP lander design, they'd know the proper next step is to stow the landing legs, use the reaction wheels via WASD to right the craft, then lower the legs again for the perfect landing. 

I don't think their reaction wheels are quite as strong as the ones in KSP, and it looked like the legs were (non-deployabe/retractable) anyways. Otherwise that maneuver would be BadS...