NASA CLPS Program

tater

On 2/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, Xd the great said:

Well, if you can build a spaceplane capable of SSTO and TLI and landing and returning to Earth with a decent payload...

Yes.

Design rejected. NSWR firing destroyed airport on departure.

On 12/2/2018 at 10:41 AM, tater said:

True enough. Of the group, Masten and Firefly are the ones to watch (no need to watch LockMart, we just watched them land on Mars), I think. Masten has quite a bit of actual hardware.

The whole point of this round is to try and broaden the field of possible contractors for landers.

(some of the companies don't even have illustrations of spacecraft yet, lol)

I'd be curious if Rocket Labs is interested in modifying the Rutherford engine for restart and [deep] throttle operation.  NASA appears to be assuming a RL-10 CECE (prototype throttleable RL-10), but I suspect that even without throttle modifications, the Ruthorford is closer to operation.

7 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

I think this whole endeavour is stillborn. NASA is defining boundaries that are fixed along their lunar orbiting toll booth without acknowledging that there may be better strategies that can be put into place sooner and much safer.

Not surprising, especially when you have a quarter of the Government breathing down your back...

On 2/17/2019 at 3:47 AM, DDE said:

Design rejected. NSWR firing destroyed airport on departure.

I see what you did there.

(No pun, just funny.)

21 hours ago, wumpus said:

I'd be curious if Rocket Labs is interested in modifying the Rutherford engine for restart and [deep] throttle operation.  NASA appears to be assuming a RL-10 CECE (prototype throttleable RL-10), but I suspect that even without throttle modifications, the Ruthorford is closer to operation.

Electric architecture is really very ideal for cislunar operation, since you need electrical storage anyway. I don't know if the batteries would be easy to rate for long-term exposure to space. NASA would still exist on hypergolics for ascent engines, obviously.

Too bad kerosene is crappy for cislunar operations.

SpaceX had notional plans for a Rutherford-class pressure-fed methane-oxygen thruster for Starship RCS, though Elon has since stated that they will use cold-gas only in initial flight articles. If they dusted this off and put a little R&D into electric pumps, it could make a hell of a good landing engine. If only Elon had connections to some kind of company that makes reliable electric motors and batteries.

5 hours ago, sevenperforce said:

Electric architecture is really very ideal for cislunar operation

They should be mining lunar dust and deliver it to LLO as a propellant for electric engines.
In printed stone cans.

P.S.
The printed stone capsules can deliver something to Earth.

P.P.S.
I don't joke about the dust.

Edited by kerbiloid

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-selects-experiments-for-possible-lunar-flights-in-2019

The selected payloads include a variety of scientific instruments.

• The Linear Energy Transfer Spectrometer will measure the lunar surface radiation environment.
  • Three resource prospecting instruments have been selected to fly:  
    • The Near-Infrared Volatile Spectrometer System is an imaging spectrometer that will measure surface composition.
    • The Neutron Spectrometer System and Advanced Neutron Measurements at the Lunar Surface are neutron spectrometers that will measure hydrogen abundance.
  • The Ion-Trap Mass Spectrometer for Lunar Surface Volatiles instrument is an ion-trap mass spectrometer that will measure volatile contents in the surface and lunar exosphere.
  • A magnetometer will measure the surface magnetic field.
  • The Low-frequency Radio Observations from the Near Side Lunar Surface instrument, a radio science instrument, will measure the photoelectron sheath density near the surface.
  • Three instruments will acquire critical information during entry, descent and landing on the lunar surface, which will inform the design of future landers including the next human lunar lander.
  • The Stereo Cameras for Lunar Plume-Surface Studies will image the interaction between the lander engine plume as it hits the lunar surface.
  • The Surface and Exosphere Alterations by Landers payload will monitor how the landing affects the lunar exosphere.
  • The Navigation Doppler Lidar for Precise Velocity and Range Sensing payload will make precise velocity and ranging measurements during the descent that will help develop precision landing capabilities for future landers.

There also are two technology demonstrations selected to fly.

• The Solar Cell Demonstration Platform for Enabling Long-Term Lunar Surface Power will demonstrate advanced solar arrays for longer mission duration.
  • The Lunar Node 1 Navigation Demonstrator will demonstrate a navigational beacon to assist with geolocation for lunar orbiting spacecraft and landers.

So cute an rover with an tiny cub :)
I assume this is just that they can make both tiny and large rovers depending on budget and missions. 
Not that they plan to use an large rover as an carrier for small ones as indicated in image. 

Think purpose of this program is to bring down cost of Moon exploring missions a lot. Its not for flagship missions but primarily to check out potential interesting stuff, perhaps also high risk missions like lava tunnels.
How about an polar mission to look for ice. 

One higher profile mission might be to  spam sample return missions from interesting places. 

I see an issue with lots of NASA projects in that they develop lots of one time use technology, granted lots of stuff. Yes plenty of mission is low value to repeat like the low solar flyby or even an orbital satellite but rovers are different. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/15/2019 at 3:43 AM, tater said:

Starship will wreck all kinds of stuff.

The Apollo LEMs threw some rocks right off the Moon with their exhaust. Starship is going to throw rocks all over the place, and at velocities of a couple km/s.

Sorry for quoting this like that but I only just saw this thread. Makes me wonder how they will deal with this problem. Land far away and then drive to base?Have a landing hole/trench with exhaust channels directing the gas and debris upwards and away from the base (basically a reverse launch pad)?