Kerpollo - A Complete Science Mode Run In 9 Acts

@Kitten Shuttles, have fun and don't go dumb (like me), looking forward to the point you start.

I also Predicted that 8400 Science should finish the whole tech tree, less than my Science Target (8400 = 16800 in 100% Gain, and Low tech facilities gave like 17500 in 100% Gain, while target is 9000 = 18000 in 100% Gain)

Edited by GRS

Update on Moho mission:

I finally managed to figure out how to get an encounter using the alex moon Launch Window Planner and Precise Node. There is some information in the maneuver planner that is non-obvious, and some other things which should be ignored because they seem like they should be important or significant, but really aren't.

A bug in Precise Node was also identified and repaired by the developer in the process.

Several reverts later, Val landed, EVA'd, looked around, and got back into orbit and rendezvous. Now the trio (two pilots and a scientist) orbiting Moho and waiting for the inspiration to plan a return trajectory back to Kerbin.

Partial lesson learned - forgetting to install even one solar panel really causes a lot of hassle in battery management.

Good luck !!! @FloppyRocket, you surely learned a lot, you can use Eve assist to terminate relative inclination, if you aim the countering spot in the Ascending-Descending nodes, you better have enough Delta v to go home (a lot might be needed).

6 hours ago, GRS said:

Good luck !!! @FloppyRocket, you surely learned a lot, you can use Eve assist to terminate relative inclination, if you aim the countering spot in the Ascending-Descending nodes, you better have enough Delta v to go home (a lot might be needed).

I have discovered another flaw in my mission strategy - forgot to attach parachutes to the command capsule. Oops.

10 minutes ago, FloppyRocket said:

forgot to attach parachutes to the command capsule. Oops.

Oh no...just like my first Mohollo craft (where all 5 Kerbs end up Paragliding to safely land, Valentina gets the Hardest Impact).

29 minutes ago, FloppyRocket said:

Tried that, could not get anyone's parachute to deploy. Is there a trick?

"p" key or right click in the Kerbal's context menu. I think the default height is 1000m. You could increase to give yourself time to save everyone.

Edited by ManEatingApe

On 3/25/2019 at 7:05 PM, ManEatingApe said:

4 Kerpollo missions for the price of one!

Very cool there! I loved the canyon run, and never thought about the whole concept of preserving your inclination at tilted worlds. That deserves some thought and attempts.

19 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

"p" key or right click in the Kerbal's context menu. I think the default height is 1000m. You could increase to give yourself time to save everyone.

"p" and right-click did not seem to work (no "deploy" button), but I didn't have a lot of time to sort out the UI issues in real time.

18 hours ago, GRS said:

Like @ManEatingApe said, but you better get them out before entering 30 Km ASL.

I've decided to re-run the mission entirely, as I didn't want to lose the science points that were in the crew pod.

I could not get "take data" to work from an EVA Kerbal either. But, plummeting toward ground, there wasn't a lot of time for reading the manuals.

@FloppyRocket

Get them out quickly,  before Drag kills a lot of velocity in Lower atmo, and if you want maximum Science...start all over again, which is going to hurt...a Lot, you can right click and press "Take Data (x)" ASAP, that should be a good reaction speed training for you.

Edited by GRS

21 hours ago, GRS said:

@FloppyRocket

Get the out quickly,  before Drag kills a lot of velocity in Lower atmo, and if you want maximum Science...start all over again, which is going to hurt...a Lot, you can right click and press "Take Data (x)" ASAP, that should be a good reaction speed training for you.

I put Jeb on EVA, and while he was hanging onto the plummeting capsule, I right-clicked on him, and there was no "take data" option visible. I was confused.

Reading @5thHorseman's reply, I guess I'm supposed to right-click on the capsule, not Jeb? Seems funny because I want Jeb to take the data. Maybe I misunderstand the syntax of "take data". I haven't used it much before.

Maybe I should read it as "take the data out of the capsule"?

Meanwhile, my re-run of the whole mission is in low-Moho orbit right now, waiting for me to revert from a crashed landing attempt.

Edited by FloppyRocket

2 hours ago, FloppyRocket said:

I put Jeb on EVA, and while he was hanging onto the plummeting capsule, I right-clicked on him, and there was no "take data" option visible. I was confused.

Reading @5thHorseman's reply, I guess I'm supposed to right-click on the capsule, not Jeb? Seems funny because I want Jeb to take the data. Maybe I misunderstand the syntax of "take data". I haven't used it much before.

Maybe I should read it as "take the data out of the capsule"?

Imagine Jeb is in a sea of capsules, each with unique data. How would you take the data from only one capsule if you were right clicking him? Or how about if he's next to a flag you want to remove. You'd right click the flag, not Jeb.

You are in control of Jeb, so you right click on a thing and there are commands fro him to perform on that thing.

23 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Imagine Jeb is in a sea of capsules, each with unique data. How would you take the data from only one capsule if you were right clicking him? Or how about if he's next to a flag you want to remove. You'd right click the flag, not Jeb.

You are in control of Jeb, so you right click on a thing and there are commands fro him to perform on that thing.

So, you're indirectly saying I should EVA and then right-click on the pod. Thanks.

Speaking of flags and mishaps, funny story. I landed on Moho, planted a flag, and got back in the pod, and did a quick save. When I reload that quick save and time-warp forward, the flag explodes with enthusiasm (awesomeness = 0.5).

1 hour ago, FloppyRocket said:

So, you're indirectly saying I should EVA and then right-click on the pod.

Yes, except for the trick I mentioned above. KSP "remembers" what you right-clicked so if you're in a time-sensitive situation where you're not sure you can EVA, right click, find the "take the data" button, and click it before Jeb goes flying off into the Wild Blue Yonder, then you can right-click the pod FIRST, and when you hop out it will still be right-clicked, saving you at least that one step.

Status report:

Moho mission complete.

Summary of science collected:

L1Aj4pP.png

Docked after post-landing rendezvous:

1HkiZK5.png

On the surface:

SUc7Ty7.png

Moho Stack B ready for launch:

4kYW5Kg.jpg

Pre-launch Tech Tree

9GjDTQa.png

Lessons learned:

1) Sometimes you just have to trust that a planetary encounter will happen when it is expected to. 

2) Sometimes point 1) is a total lie.

3) Precise Node makes it very easy to make small changes in the maneuver time.

4) Pack a parachute or two.

5) A charged battery is a useful thing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.