[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

On 2/2/2020 at 8:29 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

I saw something like that using Restock/+ 1.0.3 in KSP 1.7.3, and the clamps didn't decouple when I launched the rocket- they stayed stuck to the boosters and went flying with the rest of it. I haven't used them since then.

Are you using KSP 1.7.3 or 1.8(.1)?

The bug has been fixed by the amazing ReStock team. It turns out the problem was my potato computer the whole time. It had to do with support for older OpenGL versions.

@garwel I think the Poodle is too large to fit inside a 1.875m shroud because of the nozzles, and if I remember correctly it doesn't actually say it's a 1.875m variant, only a 'compact' one. All the other rockets with size variants do change their shroud sizes to fit, both in the stock game and ReStocked.

On the topic of shrouds- the 'Caravel' engine has permanent shrouds when I pick the 1.25m variant, even though the 'Skiff' which uses the same model doesn't and all other size variants are OK. Orange and white shrouded variants are affected and there is no option to jettison the shroud in flight.

Any chance of an insulated variant of the modular girder hub, and end caps on the modular girders? The end caps aren't a big deal (they just look a bit odd) but the lack of an insulated version of the girder hub seems like an oversight as it really sticks out when used with the other girders.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

On the topic of shrouds- the 'Caravel' engine has permanent shrouds when I pick the 1.25m variant, even though the 'Skiff' which uses the same model doesn't and all other size variants are OK. Orange and white shrouded variants are affected and there is no option to jettison the shroud in flight.

I'll have a look. This kind of thing though, best is a Github issue. 

On 2/9/2020 at 10:41 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Any chance of an insulated variant of the modular girder hub, and end caps on the modular girders? The end caps aren't a big deal (they just look a bit odd) but the lack of an insulated version of the girder hub seems like an oversight as it really sticks out when used with the other girders.

Remember that it's hard to apply terms like 'oversight' to completely volunteer projects. I think I have a pretty clear eye to what I consider appropriate completeness and trust me, there is no oversight happening. The fact is that I try to make a balance between:

• My family
  • Work
  • Time spent on other mods
  • Time spent on this mod

Much like any development project, I have to choose where to spend. Variants are more of a godawful amount of work than you'd think, particularly when you change AO-affecting geometry. My policy in regards to this with our development team is that nobody can ask for variants - those are completely at artist discretion. The operation you're describing is probably about 0.6-0.7 of the initial work on the part, so in choosing more variants, you choose less other parts completed. I chose a particular trade for this release and I'm afraid that's what you have for now. 

I'm sorry if this sounds a bit coarse but I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about people making statements like this. 

On 2/9/2020 at 8:40 AM, garwel said:

There is a little problem with Poodle: its shroud doesn't rescale to 1.875 m for compact variants.

This is, in a sense, intentional - it doesn't quite fit IIRC and was done before we had any 1.875m parts. 

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Variants are more of a godawful amount of work than you'd think, particularly when you change AO-affecting geometry.

QFT; this man knows what he is talking about.  You really don't (and can't) appreciate the impact, until you try it yourself.  Adding variants (esp. geometry variants) can take a simple '3-hour part', and turn into into a two-week long slog of tweaking and re-exporting models and re-baking AO textures.  And that is just the art/model asset side of things; there is additional work required to get it all working in KSP as well.  And if going for optimal texture packing/re-use, the entire thing has to be planned to include variants from the very start, or else you will end up redoing work or having sub-optimal use of textures.

Hey all, collider critic here with another bug. The fairing segment colliders are all sorts of screwed up. As a whole they are all rotated a few degrees, and each segment has a large gap in the side that objects can fall through. All this means is that the floor of my cargo plane is tilted and stuff falls through the sides! I'll upload some pictures when I get home.

As a short term solution is there a way to disable the fairing retextures in the meantime so that I don't have to be sullied with stock?

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Here are a few highlighted screenshots to explain the issue-

This is the collider on a default fairing, nice and connected and flat on the bottom if placed sideways:

qJBRRe1.png

Here is the same fairing when ReStock is installed, and the collider is no longer flat across the bottom, and it has a large hole at the edge of each side:

ODJu6nN.png

Example in-flight of Valentina falling through the gap in the collider while being able to stand on the rest of it:

TN3Tir1.png

Edited by Avera9eJoe

9 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Here are a few highlighted screenshots to explain the issue-

This is the collider on a default fairing, nice and connected and flat on the bottom if placed sideways:

qJBRRe1.png

Here is the same fairing when ReStock is installed, and the collider is no longer flat across the bottom, and it has a large hole at the edge of each side:

ODJu6nN.png

Example in-flight of Valentina falling through the gap in the collider while being able to stand on the rest of it:

TN3Tir1.png

That's really weird. We don't change these colliders at all - they are automatically generated by the game. Are you sure there is nothing else affecting the part?

I will still try to reproduce on my end to check...

13 minutes ago, Nertea said:

That's really weird. We don't change these colliders at all - they are automatically generated by the game. Are you sure there is nothing else affecting the part?

I will still try to reproduce on my end to check...

Huh... than that's odd indeed. I'll look into it deeper, going to verify and reinstall things.

At a quick glance too, it looks like the number of polygons on the ReStock one is much lower for some reason. The top image is far smoother. I'll definitely do some more testing.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Coming back to this, it looks like it is only this one fairing that is bugging out, leading me to believe it's actually a bug with my craft; I'll pull down the issue report on GitHub too. Silly me :P

Glad to.hear it wasn't is, haha, didn't know where to start there.

@Nertea With KSP 1.9 out now, the changed names of the skipper and mainsail, {I should say new versions, as the old ones still exist but are hidden} means that we don't have the restock versions anymore. ;.; would it be an easy fix to go in and change the part names in a config somewhere to get restock versions back, or is it going to be more complicated? 

engineLargeSkipper and liquidEngine1-2 were changed to engineLargeSkipper_v2 and liquidEngineMainsail_v2  respectively. 

If it's more complex than a simple rename substitution in a config, It's going to be beyond me, but I don't know exactly what config to look at to try and change, I would guess config file: restock-engines-liquid-25, but I don't want to break other things messing around in the wrong file.

Also feel free to just tell me to shut up and wait for an official fix, I don't want this to come off as, hurry up and fix it already, so sorry if my post's tone comes across that way. It was not intended. 

10 minutes ago, vardicd said:

@Nertea With KSP 1.9 out now, the changed names of the skipper and mainsail, {I should say new versions, as the old ones still exist but are hidden} means that we don't have the restock versions anymore. ;.; would it be an easy fix to go in and change the part names in a config somewhere to get restock versions back, or is it going to be more complicated? 

engineLargeSkipper and liquidEngine1-2 were changed to engineLargeSkipper_v2 and liquidEngineMainsail_v2  respectively. 

If it's more complex than a simple rename substitution in a config, It's going to be beyond me, but I don't know exactly what config to look at to try and change, I would guess config file: restock-engines-liquid-25, but I don't want to break other things messing around in the wrong file.

Also feel free to just tell me to shut up and wait for an official fix, I don't want this to come off as, hurry up and fix it already, so sorry if my post's tone comes across that way. It was not intended. 

By providing those details and suggestions for what can be done, you're already 250% more helpful than the usual calls for "ITS BROKEN, FIX IT" that appear in these topics. :)  Especially your notes over on UKS. Thanks for that!

5 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

By providing those details and suggestions for what can be done, you're already 250% more helpful than the usual calls for "ITS BROKEN, FIX IT" that appear in these topics. :)  Especially your notes over on UKS. Thanks for that!

No problem, by the way, @Nertea I made backups of my saves and the restock-engines-liquid-25 file and tested it because what the hell, and changing 

@PART[liquidEngine1-2] to @PART[liquidEngineMainsail_v2] and @PART[engineLargeSkipper] to @PART[engineLargeSkipper_v2] does indeed restore the restock versions, however the in game part control interface in the editors does still retain the part variant options for the new squad versions of the mainsail and skipper, they don't seem to do anything though

Edited by vardicd

22 minutes ago, vardicd said:

*cries in a corner*

You should be very careful doing this - the new models likely have new colliders and possibly different attach nodes. We will need to work to make sure compatibility is preserved. We were working towards a fairly major update soon so I don't think a new version will be that far off. 

@Nertea,  I am so grateful to you for this mod.  My current playthrough on 1.8.1 is ReStock Plus with my simplex mods and kerbalism only (and KER, KAC etc).

I really appreciate the possibility of updating to 1.9, making sure that none of my craft have the 'Plus parts' on and then inserting ReStock back in.

So, thank you.

A note on KSP 1.9

The team has been hard at work on our next update, which contains a few more fun things, like wheels (one of the last bastions of non-revamped content ) and the oft- requested 5m Saturn parts.

With 1.9 just released, we are likely going to continue to work on this content and push this update out with 1.9 compatibility, instead of rushing towards an immediate patch.

We do need to do some work to ensure our Skipper, Mainsail and Thumper replacements work well for the new Squad models. Some artistic adjustments may be necessary.

Overall, please be patient and while I can't ever promise timelines, this update shouldn't be a very long time coming.

31 minutes ago, Nertea said:

A note on KSP 1.9

The team has been hard at work on our next update, which contains a few more fun things, like wheels (one of the last bastions of non-revamped content ) and the oft- requested 5m Saturn parts.

With 1.9 just released, we are likely going to continue to work on this content and push this update out with 1.9 compatibility, instead of rushing towards an immediate patch.

We do need to do some work to ensure our Skipper, Mainsail and Thumper replacements work well for the new Squad models. Some artistic adjustments may be necessary.

Overall, please be patient and while I can't ever promise timelines, this update shouldn't be a very long time coming.

Sounds good. In the mean time, it is worth noting that CKAN ReStock seems to agree decently well if you force install it. and use Zero MiniAVC. So far I haven't had any issues with any of my mods, for that matter. I'm still looking into the fairing bug though as it seems deeper than I originally thought. It might be tied to a specific fairing base and number of sides, rather than my specific craft.

14 hours ago, Nertea said:

and the oft- requested 5m Saturn parts.

Pumped... although these don't really worry me too much.

It's like MH without the faf.  The only things I would miss from MH if I went pure Restock Plus only are the engine plates.  Would you consider looking to add something similar to ReStockPlus as well?

Peace.

12 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Pumped... although these don't really worry me too much.

It's like MH without the faf.  The only things I would miss from MH if I went pure Restock Plus only are the engine plates.  Would you consider looking to add something similar to ReStockPlus as well?

Peace.

I always encourage people to look at our GitHub project for a glimpse of the current state of work.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:35 AM, Avera9eJoe said:

Sounds good. In the mean time, it is worth noting that CKAN ReStock seems to agree decently well if you force install it. and use Zero MiniAVC. So far I haven't had any issues with any of my mods, for that matter. I'm still looking into the fairing bug though as it seems deeper than I originally thought. It might be tied to a specific fairing base and number of sides, rather than my specific craft.

Indeed, but I still can't say we support such installations. Restock in 1.9 - no support until we deem it official.